1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Once Saved Always Saved

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IAMWEAK_2007, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

I believe that the subject is a false doctrine,
    and in fact a very dangerous teaching that leads
    Christian to not fear God and causing not to
    live a holy life.
    I had seen a lot of lousy baptist and even pastor
    engaging elicit act of lasciviousness, and I blame
    that the subject are the root cause of this.
    I am not wondering why, because it is clear
    in the main lesson of 2nd letter of Peter that
    false doctrine penetrated even the churches of
    the saints during Peter's time.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A young christian girl had been taught that while a person is saved through faith in Christ, he/she must obey the Law of Moses in order to keep saved.

When she saw that God's Word teaches that Christians are not under Law but under grace, she said, "It's almost too good to be true!" Then added, "The Bible does seem to say that, but don't you think it's a dangerous doctrine to teach? If Christians knew that, they might go out and do just anything."

This answer was given to her: "Now that you see what the Bible teaches, are you going out to do all the bad things you can think of?"

There was a look of horror on her face as she answered, "No, of course not!"

"Why not?"

She answered quickly, "Because I love the Lord Jesus."

That is the secret of the Christian life.

from the "Sunday School Times"

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROMANS 5:20 – 6:6 = “God’s law was given so that all people could see how sinful they were. But as people sinned more and more, God’s wonderful grace became more abundant. So just as sin ruled over all people and brought them to death, now God’s wonderful grace rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Well then, should WE keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? Absolutely not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it? Or have you forgotten that when we were joined with Christ Jesus in baptism, we joined him in his death? For we died and were buried with Christ by baptism. And just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious power of the Father, now we also may live new lives."

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you have seen all of those things. :rolleyes: Why you have seen them because they make your case for your false doctrine. I will tell you what.....you go ahead and lose your salvation and I will follow 1 Peter 1:3-5 and rely on the power of God to protect my salvation and inheritance.

Good luck with yours though! :thumbs:

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem I have with the original post is that the viewpoint is purely philosophical.

In other words....regardless of what scripture presents as truth regarding the security of the believer, you have a philosophical problem with how you think it plays out.

However, you may not be aware that there is a difference between "Eternal Security" and "Once Saved Always Saved"

Eternal Security is the scriptural teaching that once a person believes in Christ, there is nothing he or she can do to forfeit eternal life. This teaching recognizes the power of the gospel, the unconditional grace of God toward the believer, the redemptive work of Christ, and indwelling and sealing of the believer.

Once Saved Always Saved, however, teaches no such unconditional element. It is a doctrine of works, whereby it is taught that real Christians behave a certain way, evidenced by "fruit". It hangs on the out-of-context use of verses such as Philippians 1:6, "He who began a good work in you...". This teaching in no way leaves room for someone to abuse the grace of God, because that would be so-called "evidence" that he/she was never born again to begin with. So it is not actually Once Saved Always Saved. Instead, it is "Once Saved Always Working". This works based notion of eternal security is no security at all, because it gives ammunition to the self appointed fruit inspectors who are always running around pointing at who's not saved (at least in their opinion). It is conditional security in the same exact fashion as the doctrine which says a believer can forfeit his eternal life. One says you lost it, one says you never had it, and both agree that works are the key to maintaining assurance.

And I have a problem with the philosophical rebuttals like, "think about it this way..."

We don't have to resort to philosophical meandering, because scripture declares that the believer is secure:

He who believes upon Jesus Christ has eternal life and shall never come into condemnation, for he has passed from death to life (John 5:24).
    Jesus Christ, by His blood, has forever perfected those who draw near (Hebrews 10:1, 10, 14)
    We have become partakers of the divine nature (2Peter 1:4)
    and have been sealed unto the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30).

It is finished

6. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Either you belive the bible or you do not. If you do believe it please explain how one loses their salvation based on this passage.
    1John 3:9
    No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God’s [fn] seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.

7. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

I believe the bible, that is why I can tell my statement, because the subject is nowhere to be found in the bible, all are just baptist assumption.

8. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My earthly parents will forever be my parents. No way around it.

So it is with being born into the Family of God.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you are a Free Will Baptist - you should resign your membership in your local Baptist church.

Which means, you are not a Baptist - which means this thread should not be in the Baptist only section.

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

Exactly what I was going to say, Salt. :thumbsup:

Eighty-one posts in seven years. If these on this thread are an example, I can understand why there are so few.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bible likens salvation to circumcision (of the heart). Please tell me how temporary circumcision is...

#11 webdog, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2014
  12. Winman

Winman Active Member

When we believe our spirit is joined to the Holy Spirit to become one spirit. Can the Holy Spirit go to hell?

1 Cor 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

Just as a physical birth is the fusion of two persons into a new creation, a new individual, being born again is the same. It is the fusion of our spirit with the Holy Spirit to become a new creation, a new individual. We now partake of the divine nature.

2 Pet 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

We now have the Holy Spirit permanently dwelling in us, and we cannot fall away in utter unbelief as our seed (Holy Spirit) remains in us, and we cannot sin.

1 Jhn 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

1 Jhn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

13. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes this is a false teaching the way it is taught in the churches true Christians will persevere on to the end

14. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You did not respond to 1John 3:9

15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Here is the verse I rely on:
    Romans 11:29

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Lord knows his own, and is able to keep them unto the end, as Jude pointed out to us!

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I don't know?

The teaching on once saved, always saved is only false because you believe in something different.

Let me point out to you that the Bible clearly says, when we come to Jesus our name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life! I highly doubt if God has a large bottle of "White Out" next to that Book, nor do I think He wrote the name in pencil, so He could erase it when we err or sin!

Plus we have verses speaking to the fact that "Nothing can separate us from the love of God!"

I agree that some may take advantage of the teaching by living a life that is highly suspect, but isn't that God's problem - Not yours - to deal with and address. We all know that some seed landed on good ground; some on bad ground; and other in patches of tares, that eventually choked out the unfaithful, not really born-again believer.

Those that come to God and return to a life of sin bmore than likely never really sealed the deal. Kind of like the photo below ....

[​IMG]
    I guess it is always going to be your view, my view and anothers view, as well as a ton of others who also have a view! Isn't the final proof of our slavation and how we lived for Him going to be in HIs hands, regardless of what theology or doctine we hold? The proof of anything, is ging to be in how the pudding sets up!

As for me, I am believing I have been saved one time for all time, and I do not take that lightly, which kind of disproves your argument! Will I always be sin free or even perfect. Not really, which is why hold to this saying I once seen on a bumper sticker.

[​IMG]

I think the only good thing that comes out of not believing in "Once saved" is that the church will always have a full alter-call, with believers not certain of their standing in God,, and needing to go forward whenever the guilty finger of Satan points at theire heart!

Shalom!

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will endure to the end due to the fact that we are saved by Cross of Christ, that the father adopted and sealed us by the Holy Spirit, and that he has promised to keep and save to the end all those redeemed!

Its up to God in this, to keep us eternally secured in Christ!

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

But believers DO NOT always persevere to the end.

Luk 8:12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.
    13 They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
    14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
    15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

Did the persons in verse 13 believe? YES. Did they endure to the end? NO, in time of temptation they "fell away"

Now, answer me this, are these persons saved? Yes or No?

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, they did not believe. Their so-called "belief" was fickle. Check 1John 2:19

1 John 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
    --John indicates that true believers remain faithful.

Did Simon believe "from his heart" with genuine belief and repentance?
    Acts 8:13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.

Then why did Peter say to him?
    Acts 8:20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
    21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
    22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
    Of course not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.