1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured One call...or two

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Oct 8, 2012.

1. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

God calls and draws us by His loving kindness that men have trouble expressing and God does know what exactly to do.

Jeremiah 31:3
    The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

2. WITBOTL

WITBOTL New Member

The Message of the Call: the Gospel

So, what is the call of the calling and where does it begin. If we are to look at two calls separately (which I think is appropriate, but perhaps not immediately obvious) then I think we would say that the one call leads to the second call which continues towards the accomplishment of the calling. Now, this framework isn’t fully without problems in that the inward and outward calls don’t flow as if strictly beginning with the outward call, then moving to the inward call. There are inward aspects working in the outward call (before it is effectual) and there are outward aspects to the effectual call (in that it produces a response in faith to the outward call to accomplish its ends.) I suspect the greatest point of dispute beyond the details and mechanics of regeneration really lie in whether election is particular and whether the operation of the Holy Spirit towards some is unique and specifically purposed to be effectual in contrast to the rest. That only some are ultimately saved means there is certainly particularity in salvation, but the question is how and who particularizes it? Is it particularized by God with a purpose of drawing specific and relationally foreknown men into his kingdom, or is it particularized by man at his choosing of a general and universal provision of God?

In any event drawing back a little: what is the outward call and what is its message? It seems to me that there are a number of aspects that we can understand in considering the content and character of this call. In short though, I would define the outward call as the gospel and the message of the call the message of the gospel.

There are some interesting aspects to the gospel and its message. It involves those sent to spread the word. It involves exhortation, invitation, declaration, proclamation and authority. It is the Word of God and the Holy Spirit is seen directly involved in the spread of its message.

In the simplest, but most complete and broadest terms the gospel is the good news of the kingdom of God (Mat 24:14). It is the good news of a kingdom and a king. It is a message of repentance (Mat 4:17 ) and a message preached (Mat 4:17,1 Cor 15:1, 2 Ti 4:2 etc.). This “gospel of the kingdom” was preached by John (Mat 4:23), Jesus (Mat 9:35), Philip (Acts 8:12), Paul (Acts 20:25) and this “gospel of the kingdom” is no different than the gospel of the king.

The gospel is the Word of God, it is preached in word, power and in the Holy Ghost sent down from Heaven (1 Th 1:5, 1 Pe 1:12). It may (and may not) be profitable to the hearer depending on its being applied effectually from a divine perspective and a response of faith from a human one. (2 Cor 4:3,1 Th 1:5, Eph 1:19, Ez 36:26,27, 2 Ti 1:9, Col 1:5, Heb 4:2)

The message of the gospel is comprehended in I Cor 15 : Christ died, was buried and rose again according to the scriptures. Its message consists of resurrection from the dead, the delivering of a Kingdom to God and Christ putting down all rule and authority and power. It is a message of incorruption, immortality and Victory. (I Cor 15:3, 21,23,53,57)

The gospel is a gospel of grace (Acts 20:24, Col 1:5) and is often described possessively. For example, Paul says Christ was raised from the dead according to “my gospel” (2 Ti 2:8) It is received by faith, not only offered and proclaimed, but testified (Acts 20:24) of by those who have experienced it personally. It is the power of God unto salvation and is a message of riches, healing, deliverance, sight and liberty. (Lu 4:18, Isa 61:1)

Fundamentally, the Gospel is a message about the person of Jesus Christ to whom we are called for his glory. It is an atoning work of redemption by its object, author and finisher Jesus Christ who is fully the cause of our call. It is a message of a present and future kingdom which is ruled by Christ unto which we are called. The gospel is a message of repentance and faith through which we are called of which we are given in order to partake of Christ and his kingdom.

The gospel is Jesus Christ, all of grace through and apprehended by faith. Ultimately, it fully and completely concerns the person, work and glory of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is its object, cause, purpose and priority. As he is the living Word, so he is the living gospel.

While the gospel, as the good news concerns a call to those who would respond in faith and is primarily about Jesus Christ as a Saviour and King and by necessity is a message of invitation and exhortation to partake in his benefits by faith, it is also a message with a flip side. Though not directly the message of the gospel, there is in it a message of condemnation for all who remain in unbelief (Jn 3:18). This flip side bears the message of judgement (Jude 1:15) and ultimately concerns the majesty and sovereignty of our God and King to all men whether they accept or reject. For, the scripture says that every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess. (Isa 45:23, Rom 14:11, Php 2:10)

The message of the gospel is more than just the facts of the message. It is important to realize that the message and the person of the message are identical. While the gospel involves the message of “how to be saved” and this is our primary concern in evangelism it needs to be rightly understood that the gospel is an invitation to a kingdom and it is also a declaration of a kingdom. It is a message of warning of coming judgment and condemnation on one hand and most gloriously of a provision to escape the wrath of God through the person and work of Jesus Christ.

John says in Luke 3:7 Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come? Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, we have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able to these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

It would seem that in the preaching of the gospel there is also a purpose and a message even for those who will not believe.

We speak of this call as an “outward” call and so in a human sense it begins there. It is a message that is sounded in the mouth of the preacher and heard in the ear of the hearer. In this sense it is outward. as kyredneck posted: Outwardly it is an appeal of reason, persuasion, logic and intellect and emotion, for these are the outward aspects of man through which the gospel is communicated in a human sense. But, there cannot be any effectual working of the gospel in these alone. Without the working of the Holy Spirit the message only falls humanly, rationally, emotionally and logically but never spiritually. It is only through what we would term an internal, effectual call (or as could be said a specific, particular working of the outward call by the Holy Spirit in those who he would cause to receive it) that the call is fully complete, comprehended and receivable. Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

3. WITBOTL

WITBOTL New Member

yes, there is purpose and particularity in this call. I believe there is a kind of "prevenient grace" operating that is temporarily and ultimately resistible, but the purpose of it when it is ultimately resisted is to the condemnation of that man who was in a sense enlightened, but not made spiritually alive, not given the effectual call. Some are vessels of wrath and some are vessels of mercy. There are some who never hear the gospel, there are some who hear it once, do not comprehend it and reject it, some hear it many times and are "almost persuaded" feeling the compulsion of the outward call but ultimately reject, some hear many times, reject many times, but ultimately are given the grace to believe, some believe the first time they hear it. Some are very young children, some are effectually called seconds before death. In all these scenarios God's purpose is served and God will ultimately be glorified and acknowledged as sovereign Lord.

4. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

2 Timothy 2 :

20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work. 22 Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23 But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. 24 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, 25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, 26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

2 Timothy 3

1 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, 4 traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away! 6 For of this sort are those who creep into households and make captives of gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, 7 always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 8 Now as Jannes and Jambres resisted Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, disapproved concerning the faith; 9 but they will progress no further, for their folly will be manifest to all, as theirs also was.

#124 psalms109:31, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
  5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs::applause::thumbs: This indeed covers most of the key elements and if anything this should be what we all can agree on ...and expand on it. Very well said,and a proper emphasis is on the fact that we are called to a Kingdom which has begun and will not end.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agreed.....there are a full spectrum of responses seen in scripture that bears this all out.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Sorry guys.. I'm out at a church planting training aspect that is mandatory for church planters in the Dakotas. I will get back here soon.

By the way, God bless in His gracious providence to bring another to into His family after Church, Sunday.

GLORY TO GOD!

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sounds good brother keep serving with all your strength:wavey::thumbs:

9. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

#129 HeirofSalvation, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2012
  10. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

nvm........

#130 HeirofSalvation, Oct 16, 2012
  11. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

#131 HeirofSalvation, Oct 16, 2012
  12. WITBOTL

WITBOTL New Member

Amen, brother :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

13. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

I finally return and realize that my involvement in this thread has come and gone. You cannot turn your back on a thread in this forum for a minute!

14. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You left out on post 78 (page 8 for me), just pick up where you left off...or start up a new thread. Don't let a few pages of posts stop you. :thumbsup:

15. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

Skan,

Since when has a thread stopped me from sharing my opinion? LOL Seriously, the thread has matured. Let me think about starting another thread so we can have a fresh discussion.