1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One Nation Under God

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TexasSky, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Can you show me any democratic republic in the Bible?

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't really matter what's "good enough" for me. The question is what the facts support. As with anyone else, we cannot know his relationship with God; the documentary evidence suggests he did not consider himself a Christian. That's all.

I have made no harsh or rude judgement of Franklin and rather like the man. His contributions — in government, science, business and philantropy — are legion. His importance to the Revolution and the young Republic were vital; without the treaty of alliance with France, it is possible the Revolution might have had an entirely different outcome.

3. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Then in the 1980's people started going, "Oh, that's not true!"

Not true. Weems' embellishments of Washington's biography were well known in the 19th century."

"They use this to trash the life of the great men who we once used as leaders to our children, and they claim they do this for the sake of our children, but in doing so, they leave our children with the feeling that no one should be used as an example, that historians cannot be trusted, that school's lie to them, that great men are really just despots."

Again, this is untrue (at least for me.) All great leaders have warts. Look at Moses. Look at David. It does us no service to pretend that the Founders were demigods. They were men — accomplished, patriotic, learned — but men with foibles and worse. To pretend otherwise is to make "schools lie to them." And no one has mentioned that they were despots, so far was I recall.

"Then they wonder why children have no respect for anyone."

Then children shouldn't be lied to in the first place.

"I don't, and never will, rely on the Internet for important information. Anyone, absolutely anyone, can build a website, claim it is a quality source of information, and put up total garbage. There are no editors, no proof-readers, no research teams verifying 99% of it."

Good for you. There is a lot of disinformation out there and one must be very discerning — especially from sources that have an ax to grind. So where did your reference to the University of Houston study come from?

"It is a historical fact that Washington attended church all the time."

I do not recall having said anything about Washington, who seems to have been a typical Anglican and Freemason in his beliefs.

"As for me. I will stand firm on the belief that men who, after having had homes destroyed, relatives turn against them, relatives and friends murdered, entire armies hunting them down with murderous intent who could look to God, and thank Him for His guideance, and call the nation to prayer to Him each morning as better men of God that 99% of modern Americans who have everything handed to them easily, without risk or danger, or in many cases even earning it, who do NOT thank God, and who bend over backwards to try to make sure none of the rest of the nation does either."

I try not to judge the past by the present and don't know if they were "better men of God" than we have in the present. Perhaps they were. Perhaps some of them were and some weren't.

I am not sure what you mean by the last phrase. I can'at recall that I have urged people not to give thanks to God.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

RSR,

I don't pretend they are demi-Gods, but yes, lets take a good long look at David. He screwed up badly at times - doesn't mean he didn't follow God, or that he didn't love God.

If we pull some parts of his life out of the whole picture we get quite an image don't we? He seems to be a trouble maker to his own King, becomes a King, rapes other men's wives as a show of victory in battle, lusts, commits adultry, tries to hide his sin by setting his own loyal man up to die on the front lines, his own kids are little monsters. One plans and executes the rape of his sister, the other kills the rapist and then goes to war with his father.

Not the shining example of fatherhood and a man of God is He? BUT - - - - He was wasn't he?

Are you walking into your Sunday School classes going, "Well, here is David. He was a rapists, killer, adulterer, and you know, pretty much an all round bad guy, always disobeying God, then crying when he got caught? But it doesn't matter. God said the Messiah came from his line."

Of course you aren't!!

Re the Reference to the University of Houston Study - after finding it in the web, I took the liberty of checking it out. Its not that difficult. I happen to work less than 1/2 a block from one of the finest reference libraries in the country. All it takes is finding the source and then the rest is easy.

Franklin lived a pretty wild life the majority of his life. No one disputes that. He probably makes King David look tame. He has a lot in common with King David. They both had a weakness for beautiful women, they both were estranged from their children, they both had the king's that ruled over them looking to kill them at various times, and they both built great nations on a foundation of faith in God.

Solomon wasn't a saint either. Look at Ecclesiastes and see the journey of depravity he took before coming back to God, and saying, "You know, none of that matters. God matters"

Benjamin Franklin has a lot in common with both King David and with Solomon the Wise.

Someone on this board says it doesn't matter how you begin, its how you end. Franklin ended by calling asking that this nation be called together in prayer to seek the guideance of God before they make any decisions.

Why is that such a difficult concept to accept? Why is that so wrong?
    Why argue so hard against it?

And why trash men who cannot defend themselves, who gave you the right to worship God as you see fit?

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

This thread started out as a reminder this nation was formed on Christian principles. It turned into an attack on men like Washington and Frankling.

These are quotes from Franklin Himself.

How many observe Christ's birthday! How few, his precepts! O! 'tis easier to keep holidays than commandments.

"I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth--that God Governs the affairs of men."

And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?

"I therefore beg leave to move--that henceforth prayers imploring the assistance of Heaven, and its blessing on our deliberations, be held in this Assembly every morning before we proceed to business, and that one or more of the clergy of this city be requested to officiate in that service."

"I never doubted, for instance, the existence of the Deity; that he made the world, and governed it by his Providence; that the most acceptable service of God was the doing good to man; that our souls are immortal; and that all crime will be punished, and virtue rewarded either here or hereafter."

By heaven we understand a state of happiness infinite in degree, and endless in duration.

God heals, and the doctor takes the fee

God grant that not only the love of liberty but a thorough knowledge of the rights of man may pervade all the nations of the earth, so that a philosopher may set his foot anywhere on its surface and say: This is my country.

"The pleasures of this world are rather from God's goodness than our own merit."

"A Bible and a newspaper in every house, a good school in every district--all studied and appreciated as they merit--are the principal support of virtue, morality, and civil liberty."

His epitaph could apply to any Christian who believes that when Christ comes again we will be renewed to walk with Him for eternity, made flawless by the blood of Christ. He just has a poetic way of phrasing it.

(He wrote his own epitaph):

"THE BODY of BENJAMIN FRANKLIN Printer
    Like the cover of an old book,
    Its contents torn out,
    And stripped of its lettering and gilding
    Lies here, food for worms;
    Yet the work itself shall not be lost,
    For it will (as he believed) appear once more,
    In a new,
    And more beautiful edition,
    Corrected and amended

6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    "And why trash men who cannot defend themselves, who gave you the right to worship God as you see fit?"

I don't see that I have trashed anybody. It seems that if someone disagrees with you, that person is "trashing" or "hateful" or "satanic."

"Re the Reference to the University of Houston Study - after finding it in the web, I took the liberty of checking it out. Its not that difficult. I happen to work less than 1/2 a block from one of the finest reference libraries in the country. All it takes is finding the source and then the rest is easy."

Then you can provide the citation. I think I have it, but I am not sure.

As to revising history: It is always under revision. Each generation interprets the past by its own lights. The Founders, for example, took a pretty good drubbing in the early 20th century. During the middle of the century, they were rehabilitated. And so it goes and will go forever.

(BTW: I enjoy being considered a young whipper-snapper even though it is far from the truth.)

7. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

RSR - You quoted Stalin in defending a position that Franklin was not a man who believed in God.

YES, that is trashing him.

I don't have the information on the Houston Study with me right now. I'll try to remember to post it for you when I get back to the house.

I apologize for assuming you are apparently younger than I thought. I am somewhat stunned though. I've never met anyone under the age of 40 who was not a self-professing-agnostic or athiest, or who was under the age of 25, who claimed that the USA was not founded on Christian principles.

I never accused you of being a Satanist, but I stand on the belief that preaching that God needs to stay out of Government is unbiblical, and that belief comes from Satan not God.

Again - if you disagree with that - show me in God's word where He ever blessed any nation that rejected Him or that leaders who did not follow Him?

And before you rush over to the New Testament words about giving unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's, take a good long look at the History of the Roman empire and where it is today.

8. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

What difference does it make that some conject that Washington and Franklin were not Christian? We dont worship Franklin or Washington anyway. We are shaped by their purposeful lives and to great benefit, regardless of what anyone believes was their motivation for the things they accomplished.

To not have respect for that says to me that some of us have no idea of the gifts that we enjoy daily - that they willingly entertain the thought of having another way of life because they are certain that those new rules of worship and speech really wont apply to them. Nice notion that never really works out that way.

Do they realize the right to speak against another was clinched by the very men they speak against?

I have a feeling that all of this is pure trend speaking. When it becomes popular to disavow the ministry of Jesus Christ in a worldly voice, I guess they will be jumping on that bandwagon too.

It appears to me that God has indeed blessed nations that accept Him and rendered asunder those that do not. Didnt google that, saw that with my own eyes, which is why nothing anyone says about the United States of America bothers me. The words of those ungrateful and disrespectful fall on my deaf ears as I just believe they do not know better. Theyll learn.

9. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sky:

"You quoted Stalin in defending a position that Franklin was not a man who believed in God."

I did no such thing. I simply pointed out that the fact that one is trained to ministry does not determine later belief. That's all.

"I never accused you of being a Satanist, but I stand on the belief that preaching that God needs to stay out of Government is unbiblical, and that belief comes from Satan not God."

You said Satan is behind the debunking. Close enough for me. What does "stay out of government" mean? Do Christians bring their beliefs with them to government and arevtheir actions informed by their beliefs? Of course. Do I trust any politician who attempts to conflate his will with God's will? Of course I do.

As John Leland said: Heaven forbids the bands of marriage between church and state; their embraces, therefore, must be unlawful. Guard against those men who make a great noise about religion, in choosing representatives. It is electioneering intrigue. If they knew the nature and worth of religion, they would not debauch it to such shameful purposes. If pure religion is the criterion to denominate candidates, those who make a noise about it must be rejected; for their wrangle about it, proves that they are void of it. Let honesty, talents and quick despatch, characterise the men of your choice.

"I am somewhat stunned though. I've never met anyone under the age of 40 who was not a self-professing-agnostic or athiest, or who was under the age of 25, who claimed that the USA was not founded on Christian principles."

What Christian principles are you talking about? If you can tell me what they are, then perhaps I can agree with you.

I believe that God is sovereign and can raise up nations as He will for His purpose and that sometimes we mistake our purposes for His.

10. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    emeraldctyangel said:

"What difference does it make that some conject that Washington and Franklin were not Christian? We dont worship Franklin or Washington anyway. We are shaped by their purposeful lives and to great benefit, regardless of what anyone believes was their motivation for the things they accomplished."

I agree totally.

"To not have respect for that says to me that some of us have no idea of the gifts that we enjoy daily - that they willingly entertain the thought of having another way of life because they are certain that those new rules of worship and speech really wont apply to them. Nice notion that never really works out that way.

Do they realize the right to speak against another was clinched by the very men they speak against?"

I do not have disrespect for their accomplishments and, in fact, admire them. Men like Madison and Leland were men of principle, who loved liberty and feared that government would pollute religion.

"I have a feeling that all of this is pure trend speaking. When it becomes popular to disavow the ministry of Jesus Christ in a worldly voice, I guess they will be jumping on that bandwagon too."

No one here has disavowed the ministry of Jesus Christ.

"It appears to me that God has indeed blessed nations that accept Him and rendered asunder those that do not. Didnt google that, saw that with my own eyes, which is why nothing anyone says about the United States of America bothers me. The words of those ungrateful and disrespectful fall on my deaf ears as I just believe they do not know better. Theyll learn."

Again, no one has been ungrateful and disrepectful in this discussion.

11. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Where in Jesus' description of the Judgement Day does He talk about judging a nation. This passage doesn't say that if America becomes a "Christian nation" a single American will be saved from Hell? As Christians, we should emphasize evangelizing individuals not nations. How many people did you save from Hell today?

Mat 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
    Mat 25:32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth [his] sheep from the goats:
    Mat 25:33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
    Mat 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    Mat 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    Mat 25:36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    Mat 25:37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed [thee]? or thirsty, and gave [thee] drink?
    Mat 25:38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took [thee] in? or naked, and clothed [thee]?
    Mat 25:39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    Mat 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.
    Mat 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
    Mat 25:42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    Mat 25:43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    Mat 25:44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    Mat 25:45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did [it] not to one of the least of these, ye did [it] not to me.
    Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.