1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One of these things is not like the others...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Deacon, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Samuel 23:5 [Bolding added]

If my house were not right with God,
    surely he would not have made with me an everlasting covenant, arranged and secured in every part; surely he would not bring to fruition my salvation and grant me my every desire. 2 Samuel 23:5 (NIV)

For does not my house stand so with God? For he has made with me an everlasting covenant, ordered in all things and secure. For will he not cause to prosper all my help and my desire? 2 Samuel 23:5 (ESV)

Yet not so is my house with God, for he made an everlasting covenant for me, arranging everything. He has secured all my deliverance, and all my desire he will cause to happen. 2 Samuel 23:5 (LEB)

Although my house be not so with God; Yet he hath made with me an everlasting covenant, Ordered in all things, and sure: For this is all my salvation, and all my desire, Although he make it not to grow. 2 Samuel 23:5 (AV 1873)

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    23:5 My dynasty is approved by God,
    for he has made a perpetual covenant with me,
    arranged in all its particulars and secured.
    He always delivers me, (NET]

The first four verses lay out that the author, David, stands in God's favor. God's word is on his lips.
    Then David asks a rhetorical question, “For not thus [is] my house with God?” The answer is yes, David's house stands in God's favor.

Based on this understanding, the AV(1873) seems to say the opposite, David's house is not in God's favor. This error remains to this day in the NKJV.