1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One on One Witnessing

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by In His Grace, Dec 5, 2005.

1. In His Grace

In His Grace New Member

I know a lot of Baptist would love to have people come to the alter week after week to receive Jesus.

But sometimes we can't get them to even step a foot in the door, for some reason or another (like they may be in jail, a hospital, live to far away, etc.)

So, does anyone here set goals for witnessing to people one on one, to be done on a daily, weekly or monthly base?

2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

I just look for opportunity where ever it presents itself. Pray that God will use me to at least plant seeds to people I talk to. We shouldn't wait for people to come to church to hear the gospel.

3. bapmom

bapmom New Member

We have 4 or 5 official church times during each week where various groups go out to witness to people. Some go mainly on the streets, we have a couple groups who go to nursing homes, and we also have times to do visitation and go door-to-door.

My time happens to be on Tuesday mornings. Its the best time for me, and it ensures that Im not out wandering the streets alone. [​IMG] We always partner up with other ladies.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes. My goal is to be a witness if and when the Holy Spirit decides to put a person in front of me to witness to. I don't put a number on it. The Holy Spirit may choose to use me in this manner once a year, or once a day.

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

We always put our goals on how often we get out there and actively try. Perhaps the goal would also be on how many tracts we pass out, or doors we knock on.

6. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is said that D. L. Moody tried to witness to at least one person every day, and would not go to bed at night unless he had done so. Another who did so, I believe, was the unique "Uncle John" Vassar, who called himself "the Master's sheepdog. Vassar once visited a woman and was so broken-hearted at her refusal of Christ that he sat down on her front porch until she came out again and trusted Christ.

Personally, I make it my goal to do tract evangelism or visitation three times a week. However, Japan being "Gospel resistant," it is difficult to get a chance to witness. So, I do not have a goal for number of people witnessed to. I simply pray for opportunities and take the opportunities when they come.

7. In His Grace

In His Grace New Member

John of Japan,

I once heard that about D.L. Moody also.

My brother always use to tell me that his greatest joy in life was leading someone to the Lord and alot of us can sure agree with that.

So I was wondering since you being over there in Japan, the message of Christ is not well taken. What drives you, like it must be real heart breaking for people not to receive Christ as much as we would hope for.

8. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, In His Grace.

It can be very frustrating and sad when Japanese folk don't trust Christ as Savior. Right now we are sad about Mrs. T., who came so close to trusting Christ as Savior but then backed off. She even said, "God doesn't want to save us because we are so bad," showing she was under conviction of sin.

What keeps us going is that I know God called us here, and He hasn't rescinded that call yet. If we are in the center of God's will, we can always have joy and peace, in spite of the frustrations.

Then there is the occasional one who trusts Christ, and what joy there is then. Sunday morning we had a man come for the second time, and gave him the clear Gospel of Christ. His wife trusted Christ this past spring through a tract I wrote. When he left he said, "I can see that Jesus is a miraculous person," because I had preached on the fullfilled prophecies of Christ's birth. This doesn't mean he is saved, but he is now considering the Gospel. Praise the Lord!

9. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

We need to be careful about playing a numbers game for the sake of numbers. I know of a very large church way up north who, in my opinion, over emphasized numbers to the point that it became a badge of honor (and pride) to be known for how many people you supposedly won to the Lord.

People that are numbers oriented have a tendency to skew their results for the sake of competition.

We cannot save anyone, that is God's responsibility. We can only plant and water. God has called us to be faithful to that task alone.

Having said all that, it is sweet to be in on the hravest!

10. In His Grace

In His Grace New Member

MikeinGhana,

Very well said,

looking at it from the side of the pulpit, if the preacher never stirred up the crowd by challenging, motivating, messages about soul-winning, alot of the harvest would go un-picked, wouldn't you say.

11. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Why does it take a preacher to stir up the crowd alot of times? Why don't more Christian's care?

12. bapmom

bapmom New Member

people naturally get complacent or caught up in the busy-ness of their lives. Part of the preacher's job is to keep us "uncomfortable" with just coasting along, and get us focused on others more consistently.

13. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I witness when the opportunity presents itself. Sometimes I make the opportunity.

14. MikeinGhana

MikeinGhana New Member

Rachael

As long as we have the flesh we will need prodding. Even those of us who live in the midst of the white harvest field need to be stirred to action sometimes.

15. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

MikeinGhana,
    I understand what you are saying re. numbers oriented. Sadly some churches are only adding numbers to the church, but don't follow up with bringing the lost sheep to the Sheperd!

16. Johnv

Johnv New Member

On the flipside, whenever a church is growing in number, then it is automatically assumed that they're "only adding numbers without bringing the lost sheep to the shepherd".

In and of itself, increasing numbers means just that: increasing numbers. It alone is an indicator of neither scriptural faithfulness nor apostacy.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

very well put, Johnv. Good point.

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Yes. My goal is to be a witness if and when the Holy Spirit decides to put a person in front of me to witness to. I don't put a number on it. The Holy Spirit may choose to use me in this manner once a year, or once a day. </font>[/QUOTE]Perfect answer. If you live your life in such a way that you're a constant witness (and I don't mean preaching at someone constantly), then opportunities will present themselves when they're supposed to.

However, if you feel the Holy Spirit calling you to evangelize, then by all means do it. Some were called to do that.