1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

one wife

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by John3v36, Jun 14, 2004.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

1 Corinthians 11:3 - But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No, I don't think that's accurate. Not sanctioning a position is not akin to defining such as not being a "true church". If that were the case, any other church's interpretation of faith and practice that differs from the SBC would have to be deemed as "not true churches". That would mean KJVO IFB's would not be considered true churches to the SBC. Most churches have differing interpretations from the SBC. That doesn't make them "not true" curches.
    On doctrinal issues, I could see your point. WOmen in the pulpit is not a doctrinal issue, it's an issue of interpretation.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

This has nothing to do with women in the pulpit, it has to do with relationship. To interpret it the way you intend, it would also mean that Baptist women can't be police officers, judges, managers, or supervisors. A nearby city has a female Mayor, who's Baptist. My own city has a woman on the city council. My church has at least two female police officers and one female police detective in its congregation.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is one good reason to belong to an IFB Church. I am "bound" to nothing except the Lord Jesus Christ, and His Word. Cults bind people to their leaders, and the Catholics are bound by their catechism. The Bible is my final authority in all matters of faith and practice, not my denomination.
    DHK

5. aefting

aefting New Member

But Paul specifically says that he wrote these things so that we would know how to behave in the house of God (1 Tim. 3:14-15). The whole book of 1 Timothy deals with church setting issues.

Andy

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

SOrry, but you're mistaken. As an IFB member, you're bound to adhere to the Baptist Distinctives. You don't have a choice in the matter. Neither do I. The fact that you're so cavalier about your denominational affiliation, as though it were nothing more than a club that you belonged to, is rather sad. If you don't think you're bound by the distinctives, then why bother being a Baptist?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm aware of that. Again. this has to do with the cultural setting of the day, when men and women did not sit together (men sat within the church, and women sat outside). That scenario no longer exists in the church. The book of Timothy is still valid, but it must be understood within the context that it was given.

8. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

I'm aware of that. Again. this has to do with the cultural setting of the day, when men and women did not sit together (men sat within the church, and women sat outside). That scenario no longer exists in the church. The book of Timothy is still valid, but it must be understood within the context that it was given. </font>[/QUOTE]Where in the word of God that this is just because of cultural setting? or is this more hope-so?

9. aefting

aefting New Member

But Paul bases his argument on creation, not the cultural situation of the day. Just read the passage and you'll see.

Andy

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Paul uses the creation precident (husband and wife) to address the cultural situation of the day.

11. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

quote:I Timothy 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

To understand this verse in the context it was written, we must look at the Greek. Gunh and Anhr are the words in koine Greek for "wife" and "husband" respectively (not "man" and "woman" in general), and being guided in this verse by the passage which is its wider context, we can see that this context is referring to a home-marriage-family situation, not a church context. Paul is saying that he does not allow a wife to exercise authenteo over a husband in the marriage relationship (authenteo = control in a domineering manner).

This verse has to do with the marital relationship. It was not intended to refer to all men and women in a church setting. But Paul specifically says that he wrote thes

===============
    I find it funny that with all the men who took the Greek bible and but out in the KJV, NIV, NKJV, etc... Did not see the way you did.

In the Greek, it is even clearer
    The woman in not to teach a man.

In addition, a woman is not to have authority over a man.

If you keep reading on down a couple of vs. you will see she is saved from this in childbirth.
    She can have authority over and teach children.

If 2:12 was not true why would the have the emption.

12. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Paul uses the creation precident (husband and wife) to address the cultural situation of the day. </font>[/QUOTE]You still have not shoen where in the word of God that this is just because of cultural setting.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yet, everyone has dodged my earlier question. If that's the case, we disobey God when we take a class with a female teacher. We disobey God when we submit to the authority of a female police officer, judge, manager, or supervisor.

14. aefting

aefting New Member

According to the text, what Paul addressed was women teaching men or usurping authority over men within the context of the church. He doesn't address the so-called cultural situation that you suppose at all.

Andy

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes, this is a spiritual matter, within the context of the church of that day, which did not allow women in church buildings at all. At a worship service, only men were allowed in the congregation. Women sat out of earshot of the speaker, but within earshot of their husbands. If a woman could not hear or understand, she would shout to her husband in the congregation for clarification. This "chattering women" effect was commonplace, not to mention disruptive. But, it was considered socially acceprible. Paul was instructing women to keep silent, and instructing both men and women that women must refrain from the domineering insistence to communicate with their husbands in the congregation. Women are to wait until they leave church and go home, and the men are to teach the women. Men are to be effictive teachers, and women are to listen to the men's teaching in subjegation.

Today, however, congregations are coed. Husbands and wives sit together. Also a common thing today is children sitting with their parents (children remained outside with their mothers in the early churches) Still, however, couples in church are to keep silent, and wait until after they leave the service to discuss what was taught.

This is a far cry from saying that a woman is to remain out of the pulpit completely.

16. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Yet, everyone has dodged my earlier question. If that's the case, we disobey God when we take a class with a female teacher. We disobey God when we submit to the authority of a female police officer, judge, manager, or supervisor. </font>[/QUOTE]IS. 3:10 Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings. 11 Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him. 12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths.

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In layman's terms, please?

18. MTA

MTA New Member

I believe this has been addressed several times in this chain, but to reiterate: the proper context of Paul's instruction to Timothy was regarding the appropriate rule of order in the Church. If women are teaching in the church, shame on them and shame on the men that allow it by shirking their responsibilities as "men." The Lord has appointed "men" to be the sole officers in His church. If you really want to have blessings come to your church, let your men rise up and serve the Church by the Scriptural model.

We can discuss whether we believe it proper, or in the best interests of society, for women to work outside the home, but that has little to do with this discussion. However, we can rule the house of the Lord according to Scriptural teachings and examples. Those Scriptures deny women authoritative positions as pastors or deacons in the Lord's Church, period. Sorry ladies, the Lord specifically did not entrust this responsibility to you. However, if you are feeling slighted, just read Proverbs 31:10-31.

19. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

Yet, everyone has dodged my earlier question. If that's the case, we disobey God when we take a class with a female teacher. We disobey God when we submit to the authority of a female police officer, judge, manager, or supervisor. </font>[/QUOTE]IS. 3:10 Say ye to the righteous, that it shall be well with him: for they shall eat the fruit of their doings. 11 Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him. 12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths. </font>[/QUOTE]Part of Gods curse on Israel is:

20. Frank

Frank New Member

The context of I Timothy 3 is that of the qualifications for elders. Elders, Bishop, Shepherds, Overseers, or Pastors must be; a man that desires the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
    2  A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
    3  Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
    4  One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
    5  (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
    6  Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
    7  Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.
    A similar account is provided in Titus 1:5-11.
    The phrase must be is from the greek word dei which means binding, essential, a divine imperative.
    A man that desires to shepherd a congregation must be the husband of one wife. It is essential, not optional. Therefore, women and unmarried men may not serve in this capacity.

Divorce is addressed by Jesus in Mat. 19:9, Mat. 5:32, Mark 10:11.

One may be a preacher, but not be qualified to be a bishop, elder,overseer,shepherd or pastor.