1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Only 17% of 8th Graders Can Read at Grade Level in Chicago Schools Overseen by Obama

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Dec 17, 2008.

1. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Really, all we have is history and reports of these appointees. All speculation regarding what they will do and their performance is just that...... speculation.

We still have one President in office: But we have the President elect already acting very presidential with regular reports and scheduled announcements. It is almost as though he's presenting us with policy before he has. I identify with the concerns presented by some of the posters and hope for the best. The real test is not just the judgement of character to appoint the right people to do the right job.... but the willingness to ask for their resignation or fire them if they are not up to the job.

Definately next year will be a new year with a new President and then we will start seeing what he and the staff around him are made of and purpose to do and method.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Excellent points Jamie. It reminds me of the story that Ike was mortified to learn that half of all Americans were of below average intelligence. :laugh:

BTW, public schools are run by local school boards, not the Dept. of Education.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Boy, you're about to have a rough next 4 years... Sounds like you hate every action Obama makes then hate his lack of action if he doesn't act... :thumbs:

4. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Sounds like you're judging me for saying I'm not judging......

What makes you so critical?

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I was just joshing but you seriously don't seem to like seeing Obama by the way your describe his continual presence on TV.

6. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Ridiculous statement you make if you knew that I watch very little t.v.. I see in yahoo news that Pres. elect Obama is planning a 5th new conference this Friday: If I remember and get the time, I'll probably tune in. (I see no reason for you to take offense that I opined neutrally on this.) Otherwise, I'm sure I'll hear about it here.

You'll tell me wont you?

As for his appointments...... and their fitnest: Considering we still have an ongoing conflict in the middle east and economic problems at home, I think it is an astute move that he (Obama) is moving quickly to get his people in position around him...... and that it is magnanimous of President Bush that he has publicaly invited and is contributing to the transition as never before seen.

Its a pity that in all this process, President Bush gets so little credit, (particularly from his critics) while its understandable that President elect Obama is enjoying the lime light.

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And will this be the administration in which that changes? After the election there was a commentary in the Wall Street Journal-- but I forget the author's name-- who said a goal that Obama supports is to create 70 school districts nationally; one for each state and one for the 20 largest cities.

The question to those who know... can the Executive branch do this single-handedly?

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

More proof you haven't been watching the media. Bush is receiving many accolades for his transition efforts. Not only is he creating some document with responses to different scenario's that may come early in Obama administration he is also have a meeting with all the live presidents and Obama to make sure Obama is thoroughly familiar with world events and what responses they feel would be best.

This is the first outgoing president to take measures of this type but he says since he was not prepared for 9/11 this is something that must be done.

I have seen this on many news channels and I imagine that presidents meeting in Jan will be highly publicized.

9. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

All the more pity! Pity that I'd have to watch t.v. to get this info!

I certainly don't hear any accolades here from those who hated him so during the election.......... at least not spontaneously without pointing to this lack.

Glad you agree. :wavey:

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I am sure history will look back kindly on Bush. Times are just so tough that it's trumping the good things he's done. He has kept us safe even though many of us didn't like his methods. He did what he felt he had to do.

The economy is a subject he won't life down neither will he live down letting Ben Laden's family leave the country after 9/11...

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea why this is even an issue for anyone. FYI it is Osama Bin Laden.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Well, he orchestrated the largest attack on the US. We lost more folks than at Pearl Harbor. Then when all air traffic was grounded, we secretly allow his family to leave the country then we declare war on him. I would think keeping his family would give us leverage for the war.

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And just how was his family involved?