1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Only For Paid Instrumentalists

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Gib, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Gib

Gib Active Member

If you have paid instrumentalist in your church, who do they fall under? Personnel? Music Minister?

If you don't have paid instrumentalist, don't bother posting :wavey:

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have been to churches that have had paid instrumentalists. They are considered hired by the church and fall under the supervision of the music leadership staff.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Any paid instrumentalists we've known in churches came under the music ministry. Sometimes they were hired on an as-needed basis (Reformation Sunday at our Presbyterian church always had extra musicians like trumpets/trombones/timpanis (not sure how you spell that and too lazy to look it up). In our church now, it's only the worship leaders who receive pay and they are personnel in the music ministry.

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a paid pianist. My direct supervisor is the minister of music and his supervisor is the pastor. However, on the monthly finance sheet I fall under church "staff" along with the nursery director, finance director, and church secretary. I am not under the music ministry on the finance sheet.

5. RG2

RG2 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've seen it done pretty much every way out there. In general direct supervision usually comes from the music minister. Usually he is given the power to hire and fire as well, but I've seen some that have required approval through committee.

As for payment and classification I've seen it anywhere from misc music funds and not actually being on staff to being on staff as a non-ministerial type staff position (basically the same as a janitor or preschool worker or basically anything that isn't a Pastor). The former usually being as needed musicians that you bring in for fill-ins or special events (Easter/Christmas etc).