1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Open Air Preachers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 2, 2015.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly open air preachers have a bad reputation among the unbelieving public, and sadly even amongst many Christians, including many on this board whom do not understand open air preaching.

Go Stand and Speak DVD

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004R9Z9VU/?tag=baptis04-20

People why are you against open air preaching? Open air preaching is all over the Bible and highly commended and practiced throughout history.

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think anyone here is against open air preaching, what they are against is BAD open air "preaching". But feel free to try to back up your claim that people on this board are against good open air preaching, I'll be enjoying the rabbits in my back yard.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not against it - but how effective is it?

Granted, you might plant a seed .....
    I am usually a "Quality over quantity"

By the way - how many have you:
    A) led to the Lord during street preaching
    B) began long term disciple program

4. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From your videos that I have watched I see nothing to be in favor of. You basically yell at people to repent as they walk by. That is not really preaching and not really the gospel at work.

I think there are way more effective and faithful forms of preaching that can be utilized in evangelistic ways.

It seems like something people do when they cannot get a real ministry position in a church.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have seen many do this style of open air preaching, including pastors and missionaries. In fact this was the style of open air preaching that got me interested and trained from a certain Baptist Missionary. He would go out with his team and do this style of open air preaching to people as they walked by.

You may call this bad all day, but its practiced by many.

6. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would love to know how open air preaching without a church to support the discipleship process is fulfilling the great commission to make Disciples.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like what a certain REFORMED pastoral seminary student and open air preacher told me once, God brings the converts and elects those He chooses to salvation. Its not about me saving anyone, its only about me being faithful to preach. You dwell on results and are so consumed by results, but I focus on obedience.

And yes this individual whom I modeled my style of open air after would go out to there streets and just preach to people as they walked by. Some would stop and listen but most would keep on walking. Call it yelling at people all day, buts its nothing but preaching.

8. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because something is practiced by many does not make it good or faithful.

But more power to you if it makes you feel like you are involved in ministry.

[​IMG]

9. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent question.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just face the facts you are just a plain critic and nothing I say will ever satisfy you.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I try not to read garbage and that poster is on ignore for a good reason. Someone whom constantly heckles and criticizes me. Everything I say that poster disagrees with. Is there anyway possible me and that poster can ever agree on anything? So that poster belongs on ignore.

12. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find you very frustrating. You continually post things that bring attention to yourself and your "preaching." For awhile you posted things that always brought attention to your either girlfriend or wife, we were never really sure which since at times you referenced her as both.

You seem to have a very needy personality and you need the attention of others. I find that really sad.

I am a fan of preaching the gospel. I love good sermons. I love seeing people involved in ministry that builds relationships with people and models and shares the love of Christ. I see none of that in your videos.

And from everything I can gather you have seen no results. Now results is not always an indicator of things. But if you continually do the same thing over and over again the Lord never brings anyone to salvation, then perhaps you might want to consider The Lord might have something else for you to do.

You seem to really enjoy the Way of the Master stuff. Maybe go more of that direction and actually dialog with people instead of just yelling at them as they walk by. In the culture we live in, most people are just going to assume you are a crazy person and walk on by without ever given your message a chance. And I think a good case could be made that your version of open air preaching does more harm for the gospel sake than it does good.

If that view is being a critic, then critic I am.

13. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah well let me repost it here for you.

I would love to know how open air preaching without a church to support the discipleship process is fulfilling the great commission to make Disciples.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What do you know??? I dialogue with people all the time!!! Stop making your assumptions and judgments when you have no facts. In fact the 2nd to last time out I almost led a woman to faith. The last time out I had a half hour chat with someone.

15. TadQueasy

TadQueasy Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know the fact of what you have put in your videos.

Maybe add some stuff that shows your going more than yelling at people?

And maybe address the other things that were said in my post.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are a few concerns I have of your presentation:

1. Just because many on this board may not advocate open air preaching does not mean that they do not understand the method. Many understand why it was at one time effective, and why it has declined in effectiveness as lifestyles, culture, and technology has changed. You would do well to present your case without assuming ignorance.

2. Instead of being practiced "all over the Bible," open air preaching as you have presented on this board is, interestingly enough, absent from Scripture. Instead we find people sharing the gospel as they go their way. The Apostles seek a forum (Solomon's portico, the areopagus, the synagogues, etc). Open air preachers rarely seek an audience. I am not saying that their method is unbiblical (although it is not necessarily a biblical model). I am saying, however, that you cannot hijack passages for support. I do, however, commend you for you efforts to reach the lost.

3. You assume that open air preachers have a bad reputation. I suspect you are right, but for different reasons. I'm listing this as a fault because you merely present it as unsubstantiated fact. But the reason most think poorly of open air preachers is probably the number of wacko's out there preaching hatred rather than the gospel. The world will not understand spiritual things, and they will think the gospel foolishness, but they will readily recognize hate.

4. Who....not whom. Remember....Dr. Who, not Dr. Whom..."he vs. him." No one, I'm confident not even you growing up, used "whom" the way you do here. Just say it out loud - if it sounds stupid, then you've probably go the wrong word - if it sounds normal, then go for it. Or simply use "who."

Here are my observations and opinions:

I have yet to see an open air preacher that was remotely interested in discipling people. I have yet to see an open air preacher functioning in a manner that would present a New Testament model. I think that we must always keep in mind that members do not work in absence of the Body, and for the most part (not all, mind you, but for the most part) this has not been evident in the open air preachers I've encountered.

That said, my experience is very limited. I do not live in an area where open air preaching would be considered an effective means of discipling others. I have visited areas and events where these preachers were performing, but they were very unbiblical (the one's I've witnessed) and goofy (just adding that in as a bonus...but they were).

I have watched videos of Ray Comfort as he interacted with people on the streets...and Kirk Cameron as well. I thought that they did a good job communicating the gospel, putting themselves "out there," and genuinely engaging with people. I don't really consider this as open air preaching (just to let you know where I'm coming from).

Perhaps "open air preaching" is a lost art because it has lost its audience. At one time people would stand in the open and speak to crowds (not just preachers) because it was a legitimate forum. Perhaps changing times has altered the effectiveness of that method.

#16 JonC, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The entire first post was an exercise in begging the question.

18. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Re-reading it now, I see it.

19. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a good point.