1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

open Bible question

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by nodak, Jan 23, 2009.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would put this in translations but that is Baptist only.

What is the theological basis of the Open Bible notes? I am seeking an NASB 1977 and see the Open Bible offers it.

Thanks for any help!

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Nodak, I see you are a Baptist. I think this question would get the best answer on the Bible Versions forum in the Baptist Only Debate section (it does not have to be a debate, especially in that forum on Bible versions).

You can ask a mod to move this question there or go there and ask a mod to close this down. Anyway, that is what I would do.

3. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The Open Bible is published by Thomas Nelson Publishers. I have the KJV Open Bible and it is my default KJV. There are very few footnotes, although this bible contains several brief (about 1/4 to 1/2 page) articles located near the scripture on which they expound. There is also a lot of historical material in the back an an excellent treatise on the history of the Jews between the testaments, located (where else) between the testaments. There is also an interesting article on the history of the English Bible. The commentary contained in the brief articles is fairly conservative. Having said all this, I have not detected a strong sectarian bias in any direction. I have had this bible about 25 years and still find it very useful.

4. RunAway

RunAway New Member

Thompson Chain Reference has the 1977 NASB...Matter of a fact thats all they have in the NASB...They don't do an updated version...

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Open Bible is premillennial and appears to be more historic or covenant than dispensational.

6. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks to all for the replies.

Marcia--currently I belong to a baptistic but not Baptist church, although the Baptist church I used to belong to has put me on the "inactive member list" rather than transfer letter to a non Baptist church. Otherwise I would have put it in the translations sector.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification! :wavey: