1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Open, close, closed Communion?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dr. Walter, May 1, 2010.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It seems odd to me that those who hold to closed communion and use the church discipline argument will in most cases allow some to partake of the Lord's Supper who is on the rolls but has not been attending or supporting the church in tithe or ministry. No where in the Bible does it say that the standard for participation in the Lord's Supper is the local church roll, especially when that church roll is full of people who act more like lost people than saved. That is an artificial, man made standard, the church roll. The Bible does not say we should examine ourselves within the framework of the roll, it says we should examine ourselves.

If in fact we should examine ourselves, and if we take the Bible's warning seriously about taking the Lord's Supper in a frivolous manner, then those on the rolls who are not supporting the church know who they are and should exclude themselves. If they do not, my guess is the local church that practices closed communion will not exclude them either.

The bottom line to this is that closed communion encourages participation of those who are not or should not be in good standing with the local church, and discourages Christians on another roll who are walking close with the Lord, from taking it. Does that make any sense?

If someone not on the rolls takes the Lord's Supper in an unworthy manner, the Lord will deal with him or her. Each local church is autonomous, and can decide how they want it administered. We have no policy written in our by-laws, but practice open.

I have to compliment you on the way you handle closed communion. Handling it in a unthoughtful manner can cause much harm to a local church. You have some of the best reasoning for closed I have read. Also, I really enjoy your posts.

#121 saturneptune, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011