1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Open Theism: Who Is Flirting With It?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Oct 18, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

RB,

1. There are those who think that this polemic over Open Theism is just between angry Calvinists and Open Theists. Well, they could not have been more wrong.

2. Here's a quote from Thomas C. Oden, a Methodist minister and professor of Theology and Ethics at Drew University, and he is a staunch defender of Arminian theology. In fact, he's written several works defending such:

"The fantasy that God is ignorant of the future is a heresy that must be rejected on scriptural grounds."

3. He said this in an issue of Christianity Today.

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

That is a gem of a quote.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Most Christian book stores do.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think the name it and claim it crowd would be consdered open theists. I don't know how many times I heard a Hinn, White, Meyer, etc. claim that in order for God to bless us or do anything, He is waiting on our asking.

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Would they? God could already know we were going to ask and that He were going to give.

This isn't one of my smart-mouthed answers. I'm really asking.

Since I don't agree with either, it's just a big puzzle.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The way I understand it is like this

God: I want to bless you, but I can't until you ask. I don't know how it will end up unless you ask.

Us: bless us, Lord.

God: OK...since you asked

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I wouldn't consider the prosperity crowd as a form of Open Theism. In fact, they affirm the traditional God more than any of us do, in theory at least, because they Really expect something from Him because of the omnis attached to Him. That's my take.

#27 TCGreek, Oct 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  8. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Isn't "angry Calvinists" redundant? :laugh: :laugh: Okay, just kidding...but I couldn't resist. So shoot me.

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. Influence by ancient Greek philosophy and by extension Greek culture is not necessarily bad thing. I consider my understanding of God to be heavily influenced by many cultures and philosophies including Jewish, Greek, Roman, European, British, American, Canadian, Chinese and most recently Australian. Paul and all the NT writers were heavily influenced by the dominant philosophies of their time which were largely Hellenistic and to a lesser extent Jewish. The words they used, their lines of reasoning and writing styles were in line with the cultural norms of its day, that of a Greco-Roman empirialistic one.

2. The omnis are greek words we have historically used to describe God. The concepts may have predated the greek words, but our understanding of the three omnis have been heavily influenced by what it meant to the ancient greeks. That doesn't make them wrong or untrue. It is just an acknowledgement of the dominant historical influence that Greek culture and philosophy has had on our understanding of God. If it was arab or asian culture and philosophy that dominated at that time, we would be using different words with slightly different nuanced meanings to describe God today. And they would also be true with limitations. The limitations are as you so nicely put it "our finite reasoning" and the limitations of all human language and words.
    I'm not sure where you get the I idea that I think we need to tame the infinite God. Infinite is also an interesting word with a numerical origin. Why do we express God in numbers? Just throwing that out there. :)

I am trying to use the historico-grammatical hermeneutic to make an honest interpretation of scripture. And a large part of the historico-grammatical hermeneutic is recognizing the biases or "pretext" that I bring to the text and trying hard to see what the context of the verse actually says. The omnis are a pretext that I bring with me to the text to understand those verses to be anthropomorphic. They could still very well be anthropomorphic, but I would need to work harder to see that they are actually in the text rather than simply just in my mind.
    Maybe. I would say the same about may sure-headed Calvinists who make some pretty appalling statments about God. I think a little agnosticism would do well for many of us.
    You are welcome to your opinion on the motivation of Open Theists.

Regarding the Joan Osborne song, I was disturbed and intrigued when I first heard it. I see the song as expressing the thoughts of what it would be like to have an intimate encounter with God in the spiritually dead world that we live in today with a strong element of cynicism.

I'm not sure how that relates to Open Theism or domestication of God.
    I'm not sure what you mean by either of these comments. Romans 11:33-36 is an awesome passage that should humble us all when we think we have God and his character all figured out.

#29 Gold Dragon, Oct 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. And that is to be expected of any era, but that is not what the open theism is asserting. Open theism says that what we have is a synthesis of Judaism and Greek philosophy, filtered through Philo of Alexandria.

2. The question is not about style but substance. Though clothed in the language of the Greco-Roman world, which only applies to the NT, Were the writers expressing the God of open theism?

3. It begs the question, Doesn't it?

4. Are the omnis expressing what is already in the text? Is God all-knowing without the reservations of the libertarian free will idea?

5. Let's leave Calvinism out of this since both Calvinists and Arminians are vehemently against open theism.

6. We can maintain a relational God while balancing that with his all-knowing attribute. Nothing is lost.

7. Yet open theism has set this Scripture and what it means aside.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Here's another quote from Dr. Boyd, one of the gurus of open theism:

"When an individual inflicts pain on another individual, I do not think we can go looking for "the purpose of God" in the event. . . . I know Christians frequently speak about 'the purpose of God' in the midst of a tragedy caused by someone else. . . . But this I regard to simply be a piously confused way of thinking (Letters from a Skeptic [Colorado Springs: Chariot Victor Publishing, 1994], 47).

2. This is nothing short of skepticism.

3. I know the open theist stresses a relational God, but how should we interpret tragedies in our life as we pursue a relationship with God, if our tragedies have no purpose to them in bringing us closer to this relational God?

#31 TCGreek, Oct 20, 2007
  12. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm just trying to explain my views which agree with some of the arguments brought up by Open Theists. I believe they are right about many of the problems they see with Classical theism. But I don't subscribe to their resolution to those problems.

So no, I don't believe the writers of the NT were expressing Open Theism. That wasn't why I brought that up. I'm just trying to acknowledge cultural and philosophical influence and the evangelical tendency to demonize such influences.
    I believe those are good questions to struggle with that don't have clear answers in the text of scripture. And that is why I appreciate the Open Theist contribution to that discussion. As you said, it is good to be a little agnostic about things we aren't so sure about.
    You can insert Pentecostals, Arians, Premillenialists, Baptists, or any other group into that statement. It wasn't about Calvinism but about theological arrogance.
    I'm still not sure of what you are trying to say here, but ok.

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

My Calvinism would be mild at best. I don't get into the debates.

Open Theism is open heresy - pure and simple. A god who doesn't know all is not God.

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. The open theist attempts to explain away Gen. 50:20, which says:

"You planned evil against me; God planned it for good to bring about the present result—the survival of many people."

2. For example, John Sanders, another advocate of open theism says:

"God does not have a specific divine purpose for each and every occurrence of evil. . . . When a two-month-old child contracts a painful, incurable bone cancer that means suffering and death, it is pointless evil. The Holocaust is pointless evil. The rape and dismemberment of a young girl is pointless evil. The accident that caused the death of my brother was a tragedy. God does not have a specific purpose in mind for these occurrences" (The God Who Risks [Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1998], 262).

3. How does the open theist know this?

#34 TCGreek, Oct 20, 2007
  15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Here's the hermeneutical approach of open theism according to Boyd:

"First, there are certainly passages in the Bible that are figurative and
    portray God in human terms. You can recognize them, because what
    is said about God is either ridiculous if taken literally, or because the
    genre of the passage is poetic. However, there is nothing ridiculous or
    poetic about the way the Bible repeatedly speaks about God changing
    his mind, regretting decisions, or thinking and speaking about the
    future in terms of possibilities."
    (God of the Possible, 118)

2. Are we supposed to take these open theists seriously?

16. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

It seems to me that claiming to know everything about God's thought processes and approach towards all situations is to claim to know the "mind of God." In my view, this is impossible because He is so much superior to us that we simply cannot understand the way He operates. The Bible says that:

Isa 55:8 For my thoughts [are] not your thoughts, neither [are] your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
    Isa 55:9 For [as] the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

And yet, many here claim to understand God's thoughts and His ways. Personally, I put God's thoughts, motivations and processes in the area of something we cannot comprehend except through what He gave us in the Bible. That's not completely black and white.

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

How about attributing tragedy to SIN. How about God doesn't cause sin. How about tragedy often causes people to blaspheme God rather than seek him.

Your line of reasoning doesn't help or hurt open theism.

I believe God is omniscient knowing and foreknowing everything that can be known. In the course of time, He is not surprised by anything but many of His "repentances" and "amazements" occurred when He foresaw how the creature He had created and blessed would one day act. I believe that in His foreknowledge, He was amazed at how effective Satan would be even among people whom God had blessed immeasureably!

How do you explain God's "repentances" and "amazements?" There must have been some point at which He learned something that He didn't expect.

skypair

18. skypair

skypair Active Member

Yup, that would be a Calvinist perspective, alright! :laugh:

skypair

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. We always have the choice of response

2. You affirm the omniscient of God and then you deny it at the same time.

3. My brother, If God is omniscient, nothing amazes God. Nothing.

4. God's "repentances" and "amazements" are nothing but anthropomorphic language, pointing to the heart of God and not questioning His omniscience.

5. I suggest that we need to find better explanations for these anthropomorphic language rather than questioning the nature of God.

6. To suggest that God "learned something that He didn't expect" is to diminish to the nature of God and amounts to blasphemy.

20. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

So, you're explaining away scripture and claiming to know the nature of God? How are you so privileged?