1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Opinion: A Christian and a conservative

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Are you carrying on a conversation with some one else?

America is NOT even a Christian nation anymore.

My "philosophy is straight Bible, friend, and if you care to examine my beliefs start asking without all the assumptions, ok?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What you think on this is further absurd and unfounded. No one thinks that and it is simply a smear on those you disagree with.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [/FONT]

Hmmm, more personal attacks I see.

Why was his message absurd and unfounded. Why not explain your position or belief in a rational way instead of simply making personal attacks?

Why will people go to hell in your opinion?

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

God's work is not limited to whether or not we have Bibles in schools. Some of the most committed Christians I have met come from areas of the world where it was illegal to evangelize and being a Christian can involve a high price.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

So you do not think that what he wrote is correct? "They go to hell because they reject Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior."

Sounds like you must believe in universal salvation if you disagree.

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have that right! Also, my experience has been that many Americans have a very hard time separating Christianity with their regional American culture. The two are not the same.

Most Americans have no concept of what persucation is nor have they experienced persecution. I have not. But I have friends from Central and Eastern Europe, China, and also the Mid-East who have and have told me about their or the persecution their relatives have suffered.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not find that Christians in areas of America find that difficult when they are under scrutiny and it is not a favorable cultural thing to be a Christian.

8. alatide

alatide New Member

You're WAY, WAY out there. Get into reality.

9. alatide

alatide New Member

Then why is so much emphasis placed on putting the Ten Commandments in court rooms, having prayer in the (government) schools, and having manger scenes on government property? If you agree that these are unimportant compared to sharing the gospel we are in agreement.

10. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I've got $10 that "alatide" is JustChristian back for a third time. If I'm right, can you say, "Loser."

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Making that comparison does not lead to either being unimportant. Dealing with the core issue here is the only basis on which to have a conversation. That core issue is do we want our government making decisions based on scriptural precepts. Libbies say no we want to live a dual Christian/secular life. Conservatives say yes for that is what this country was founded on. Not able to deal with that you characterize our view in consistent hyperbolic ways because dealing with the core issue does not make your case. Now you can go on spouting your strawman but it only speaks to the weakness of your position.

12. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

And you think society as a whole has improved since then?:sleep:

Next thing we'll see you saying God chose some to go to hell even though they tried as hard as they could to beg God for forgiveness.

13. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Can you show where any of the above is NOT part of the Gospel?

The Bible clearly states the Law is our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ.

Hmmm, law, schoolmaster, Christ, bible not allowed, in school, ten Commandments removed from the courtroom and public view, separation of church and state,etc. are not synomous now are they?

14. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

If he is then he should be "BANNED!"

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Intesting......................

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In parts of the world where the Christians are real, yes. In parts of America where Christianity is a cultural religion, no.

Could you explain?

A close friend of mine was a missionary for about 25 years in a now former communist country and things got worse and then better. Today the Christians in that country have more freedom than those in America. He told me near the end of his time there that if he came into town and wanted to talk about Christ they shut down the school and had an assembly to let him talk and give out the gospel. About 25 years ago the Christians were executed in that same location. Explain that one?

17. alatide

alatide New Member

I don't know who libbies are but I agree that it is best for us to have Christian leadership like President Carter. I'm simply saying that forcing children to repeat a prayer in a school room will never lead them to a saving relationship with Jesus Christ. In fact, I think it might cause them to hate a sect which does that.

18. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You act as if anyone has ever said that saying a prayer in school will lead them to Jesus. No one has. An argument can be made for and against school prayer but no one ever said that it will lead them to a saving relationnship with Jesus.

The idea that Jimmy Carter as a Christian leader is plain silliness. He stands with the terrorist Hamas against the only democratically elected leadership in the Mid East. He just recently said that to believe that only men are called into the position Senior Pastor was akin to his friends in islamofascist countires like Saudi Arabia and Iran. He may be your kind of Christian but he is certainly not a Biblical kind of Christian.

19. alatide

alatide New Member

You need to deal with your political based biases. President Carter was the first President ever to publicly call himself a born again Christian.

20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Jimmy Carter was a pathetic president and unfortunately he is even more pathetic now.