1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Opinions on Dispensationalism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Bob Hope, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Bob Hope

Bob Hope Member

Interesting that Larkin puts that in his book, especially chapter number 32. The great pyramid is an amazing structure I would suggest a study on it for all Christians. It was likely built under the instruction of the fallen angels and built by the Nephilim. Even the pyramid in South America was not built by the Mayans as many assume but by the Nephilim. It represents the zenith of their rule on earth. Its shape can be found on the streets in Washington D.C. and it shape is found on countless buildings in the US and around the world. Check out the new freedom tower.

2. Bob Hope

Bob Hope Member

What do you think about hidding in the wilderness for 3 1/2 years?

3. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :) That's what I was getting at.

Darby never invented dispensationalism.

Paul was a dispensationalist (Eph. 3:2).

"Dispensation" literally means:

"Dispensation
    DISPENSATION, n. [L. See Dispense.]

1. Distribution; the act of dealing out to different persons or places; as the dispensation of water indifferently to all parts of the earth.

2. The dealing of God to his creatures; the distribution of good and evil, natural or moral, in the divine government.

Neither are Gods methods or intentions different in his dispensations to each private man.

3. The granting of a license, or the license itself, to do what is forbidden by laws or canons, or to omit something which is commanded; that is, the dispensing with a law or canon, or the exemption of a particular person from the obligation to comply with its injunctions. The pope has power to dispense with the canons of the church, but has no right to grant dispensations to the injury of a third person."

Webster's 1828 Dictionary​

And so, a dispensation is a (divine) time of dealing or "administration" with mankind. This doctrine (of different times of divine dealing with mankind) is found in the scriptures.

Now, though it is not explicitly stated in scriptures, a failure on the part of man in dispensations can be seen.

A Dispensation, as Darby would define it,

"It is not my intention to enter into any great detail, but to shew simply how, in every instance, there was total and immediate failure as regarded man, however the patience of God might tolerate and carry on by grace the dispensation in which man has thus failed in the outset; and further, that there is no instance of the restoration of a dispensation afforded us, though there might be partial revivals of it through faith."

- Underline emphasis mine.
    John Darby, Apostasy of the successive dispensations, para. 4​

Darby never invented the "failure" concept. This concept goes way back to before Clement of Alexandria, though this doctrine can be found in his book "Book 5, Elucidations, III" (150-215AD), where it speaks of his instructor Dr. Jarvis as mentioning the "failure" concept in a dispensation.

This doctrine (of man failing throughout dispensations) is found in the scriptures.

Personally, with Darby and Clement's instructor, Dr. Jarvis' "failure" definition, there are two dispensations that I question (to be scripturally consistent with their theory). One being the dispensation of promise, and how man failed with this dispensation. I also question our present dispensation, and how man is to fail in this dispensation.

#23 Jope, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  4. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where Darby's doctrine becomes highly controversial is where the pre-trib rapture and premillennial doctrines come in, because these are two dispensations that are in conflict with present-day amillennialists and post-tribulational premillennialists.

"Too traditional to admit that biblical authors might have contradicted each other, and too rationalist to admit that the prophetic maze defied penetration, Darby attempted a resolution of his exegetical dilemma by distinguishing between Scripture intended for the Church and Scripture intended for Israel...

The task of the expositor of the Bible was, in a phrase that became the hallmark of dispensationalism, 'rightly dividing the word of truth'."

From "The Roots of Fundamentalism:
    British and American Millenarianism 1800-1930" (1970)
    by Ernest R. Sandeen, University of Chicago Press
    ISBN 0-22-73467-6, p. 65-67​

- In this quote here I do acknowledge that it says "dispensationalism" in the sense which I am disproving.
    Nevertheless, my point remains.

#24 Jope, Nov 5, 2012
  5. Jope

Jope Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...Even covenantalists will agree that there are dispensations.

Check the Westminster Confession (Chapters 5 and 8).

#25 Jope, Nov 5, 2012
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Think that there as 'classical" Dispy, in the traditions of Scofield...

Think there are Mainstream ones, such as Charles Ryrie..

Think there are progressive ones such as Dr Bock...

Also think that the fact that it has evolved and change somewhat is a good thing, as in my opinion, a more progressive viewpoint does get us away from what was the hardest issue for non Dispy to see...

That concept of there actually being 2 Copvenants God still used to save jews/gentiles on today, that some saw isreal as saved by being still under the law!

Also would say that darby did NOT invent the doctrines, its just that he saw them once again, rediscovered fresh and anew, much as calvin/Luthor did the real Gospel of Grace!

7. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    FYI its also interesting to note that Charles Taize Russell founder of JW wrote a book about the structure of the Pyramid to support his dispensationalist point of view as well just before he died.

8. billwald

billwald New Member

More likely the Great Pyramid was built under the supervision of space aliens as a power source. <G>

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like L. Ron Hubbard.... the crazier the better... IE, Scientology.