1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Opinions

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Repent-or-Burn, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Repent-or-Burn

Repent-or-Burn New Member

This is what I am considering:

Do CLEP to get my general studies credits on the cheap, and hopefully faster, too.

Get a bachelors in Leadership from Bellevue. If possible, take classes in (and if not, then learn on my own time) persuasions, public speaking, and logic (modal logic?).

Go to Seminary for an MDiv, possibly from Bible Baptist Seminary.

After that, a Ph.D (not D.Min) - from where, I do not know. Probably the same seminary.

Comments?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

The reason I ask is because I did not pursue college until I was 30 and married. I did the part time route, evenings and weekends. I did almost the exact same route you're looking at, with one exception. I started at a community college first for an AS, then entered a Christian college for a BA, went to a Baptist college for a MA, and am currently in a program for an M Div. And I did it all part time, while juggling work, family, and studies.

My one piece of advice is worry about yout current level before moving on (I changed my mind on which degree to get several times). Make sure you have secured your educational financing ahead of time. The reason I started at the community college level was becase it was 1/10th the cost per unit as a bachelor's program. Most importantly, make sure your college is accredited, and that the units you take are transferable.

3. Repent-or-Burn

I am 20.
    I am not married, as you well know.
    My question is, why do community college instead of CLEP? Or was that not a suggestion, just a matter of fact?

Bellevue is accredited, CHEA.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Actually, if I were you, I would do my entire Associates degree by testing. There are three regionally accredited schools that allow this: Excelsior state college, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak State college. All three allow one to "test out" of up to a Bachelor's degree, via CLEP, DANTES, Subject GRE(extremely hard, but worth up to 30 credits in one 140 dollar test! The easiest of these is the Psychology GRE, which if passed, counts as your entire major).

There are some knoweldgeable persons who have done it in as little as 4 weeks. The average person, through intensive study, can get a Bachelor's this way in as little as 6 months to a year. Fully accredited and accepted, BTW.

But I would just do it up to an Associates, then take classes in your field for the remaining 60 or so credits.

5. Repent-or-Burn

"There are some knoweldgeable persons who have done it in as little as 4 weeks. The average person, through intensive study, can get a Bachelor's this way in as little as 6 months to a year. Fully accredited and accepted, BTW."

Of study? Do tell me, where do they get the materials and learn so fast? :D

And the field I chose is only 37 credits, I think... The rest is general.

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Well, it depends. Most of the tests have books from several different publishers. They take out all of the unnecessary "filler" information that most of these books have. Many even come with interactive CD's and such.

I got 24 biology credits this way, by taking the Biology GRE. It took me about 3 months of studying: Kaplan puts out a complete book that covers every section. In fact, I believe that they put out one for each of the GRE tests.

You can get more info at http://www.bain4weeks.com/

7. Repent-or-Burn

Thanks, Haven. Greatly appreciated.

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Repent-or-Burn,

I must say my dear friend that the "handle" you chosen speaks volumes.

I would like to inquire why you don't would not want a DMin?

Thanks for your considered answer!

"That is all!"