1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oral Roberts has died

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by preachinjesus, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not sure what yoru point is. I could easily say the same in regards to you.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Actually, I can't think of anyone who is annoyed with me to the point of telling me that, except maybe you - now. :tongue3:

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I've never been annoy..., okay, well, that's not true, but this is a debate forum. Getting annoyed is part of the game. You can't sit down at an italian restaurant and complain that there's no dim sum on the menu. You likewise can't post in a debate forum and complain that someone's response is annoying.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes I can! See, I'm being annoying. :laugh:

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well I will disagree that the nature of salvation is different for the one who is a Pentecostal or a proponent of this vile prosperity business than what you or I might hold. We all believe (for the most part) that it begins with the grace of faith in Jesus Christ. That is what Brother Roberts taught, it is what I believe. Now how we work that out might be vastly different, but Christ was preached in his ministry.

There are aspects of his ministry that I truly don't care for. That does not mean that his preaching should be entirely discreditted. I am thankful for the millions saved because of his ministry.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Is this a bad time to mention I actually don't care for dim sum? :eek:

7. JTornado1

JTornado1 Member

You mean no one had enough faith to raise him from the dead!? C'mon! :smilewinkgrin:

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

One of the problems I have with the blab-it-and-grab-it folks is that they rarely if ever preach the real gospel. And their evangelism is confined to the end of the message, with an "oh, by the way, if you want to be saved, repeat after me."

This is personified by a young TV preacher, who regularly preaches to 25,000 people on Sunday, who ends his motivational message (with a few scripture verses mixed in) with, "we never want to end our program without giving you an opportunity to be saved." Not one word of groundwork has been laid up to that point.

This is the same preacher whose mother said (on ABC news) "he doesn't go around telling people they're lost. He tries to preach a positive message."

I might be willing to cut the prosperity gospel folks some slack if they preached some actual gospel.

9. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In and of itself, that's not necessarily bad. In my early years after getting saved, I speant years telling people they were lost, and I ended up pushing people further away fro Christ. Dont' get me wrong, I don't think one should necessarily avoid telling a person they're lost per se, but just like "123 repeat after me" isn't categorically effective, a "step 1 step 2 step 3 step 4" isn't necessarily effective either. Each person is blseed with their own way of sharing Christ, and we shouldn't criticize that if it doesn't meet with our personal criteria for sharing Christ.

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But just because you may have done it the wrong way does not mean we should not be preaching the gospel. The Bible itself tells us that the cross is an offense.

It is much better to preach the gospel poorly than to dilute or corrupt it with false teachings.

11. fbcodr

fbcodr New Member

Good point!!!:jesus::thumbs: