1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Orcestrating Hymns for another purpose...

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by UnchartedSpirit, Jun 1, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I thought of doing some melodies from hymns as theatrical soundtracks...not for a non-Christ- centered movie, but is there still something wrong with that?

2. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

What would be wrong with it? We just recorded the soundtrack for the trailer to our film. Our composer did and excellent job. We used a piano rendition of "It is Well With My Soul", modified to fit the mood and sequencing of the trailer.

3. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Don't see anything wrong with that.

:type: :wavey:

4. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Well, what if It is Well With my soul was a melody in a symphony for "Lord of the Rings," or "The Cronicles of Narnia," or even any of the Harry Potter movies?

5. Pete

Pete New Member

I was just about to warm up for a good rant...

...then remembered the number of times the Hallelujah Chorus has been used... "inappropriately"...in movies, so decided to just go sit in corner and sulk instead...

6. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Well, yeah . . . Making sure it is appropriate and tasteful is a Good thing!:thumbsup: :wavey:

7. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

There's nothing wrong with it, morally, but those songs may be so familar to people from being used in a church context, that it could be a distraction to them when used in another context.

For example, in my old church, they often had a song called "I Should Have Been Crucified", but because the melody of that song was taken from an old country song called, "There Goes My Everything", I could never listen to the song in church without laughing and, just by instinct, singing the words to the secular version of the melody.

Likewise, I can never hear "Jesus Loves the Little Children" any more without subconsciously singing, "We're all part of Andy's Army/We love all our boys in green/and we'll really shake them up/when we win Lombardi's Cup"/ For Philly has the greatest football team"

((and, yes I know that it's the Lombardi Trophy, not the Lombardi "Cup", but that doesn't rhyme.))

Now Playing: Matraca Berg - "Lying to the Moon"

8. Gayla

Gayla New Member

When I hear "Jesus Loves the Little Children", I go right into . . . . "Everything is Beautiful" in it's own way .. . :smilewinkgrin:

9. faithgirl46

faithgirl46 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I see nothing wrong with it. I have heard hymns on regular tv.
    Faithgirl