1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OReilly Continued: Reply To James Reed

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Martin, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bro. James Reed
    Would I? No way. I actually enjoyed learning.

==Well all I can say is that I wish I could have known you in High School. I would have sat beside you in every class mainly during test time. Ha!! That is how I got through school, hanging around all the smart kids! It is a shame more of their smartness did not wear off on me. :laugh:

Quote:
    But I do not know this kid from Adam, so he may have enjoyed it, I don't know. Besides, I did not say that he liked everything about being kidnapped. I don't believe O'Reilly said that either.

==I think OReilly's suggestion that not going to school, and playing video games, was enough to make this child tolerate getting raped on a regular basis is a bit far out. Keep in mind that this child was kidnapped at gun point, threatened, his family was probably threatened, and for over a month this child was locked in a room, raped on a regular basis, abused, and deprived of sleep. He could not get away and, I imagine, this monster took advantage of the boy's fear. Under those conditions anyone, much less an 11 year old boy, would be emotionally crushed. Think of the shame, the fear, the confusion that had to be going through his mind. I don't know if Hornbeck suffered from Stockholm or not, but he clearly suffered from something very similar. There are many similar cases involving teenagers and adults (usually women). It is not that they "like" their situation it is that they don't see a way out. We may look at their situation and see a thousand ways out, but they don't. Keep in mind what they have gone through. They are emotionally crushed, they are no longer thinking straight, and they start to view their kidnapper as a parent/guardian/authority figure (etc). There are even cases where adults, after being held hostage, defended their kidnappers against the police. Would they do that under normal conditions? No, but the brain can do strange things when it is under stress. My point is that we should not read too much into Shawn riding his bike and visiting friends (etc) in the area. Those "freedoms", and I use that term loosely, were given only after this monster had total emotional control. Shawn may have been physically able to go places, to some limited degree, but he was not mentally free.

There is plenty of psychological data in journals (etc) out there to support all of this.

Quote:
    I'll use myself as an example. I was out of work for 5 months after being laid off last year. My previous employer lied about me to the state workforce commission (who, incidently, launched an investigation and found in my favor), I had to live off my savings, I could barely afford anything at all, I had to borrow money from family members, and I generally hated not having a job for that long. All that said, there was a plus in that I had a lot of free time to pretty much do anything I wanted, so long as it was cheap or free. Now that I'm back to work, I do not have all of those negative things going on, but I do miss having so much free time. Does that mean that I enjoyed being unemployed? Absolutely not! I hated it!

==When I was 13 my appendix busted and I was in the hospital for a week and out of school for two weeks. By the time I went back to school I was sick of my very limited freedoms and I was ready to "hit the books". I never hated staying home so much (even though I watched tv all day and got a lot of attention from family, friends, and I got loads of cards and stuff from teachers and classmates). I wanted out of that house! That is sort of the opposite of your experience. So each person is different. However I can't compare my situation, or yours, with what Shawn Hornbeck went through. I don't even see how the two situations are even related. Not even in the same ballpark.

Quote:
    Sat whatever you want about me for seeing this, but it has not been long since I was that age. I would say that I'm probably younger, at 24, than any other poster on this thread, so I clearly remember what it was like at that age and what most kids that age (which I would still refer to as kids nowadays) think about things. It really is not a far stretch for me to think that this kid might have enjoyed that aspect of the ordeal, even if he hated it by 99.99999% and enjoyed that one thing with the other .00001%. Again, I do not know what type of person he is or was.

==Sorry but I don't believe he would have willingly stayed in that situation considering the horrors he went through. One neighbor reported hearing screaming, begging, and crying coming from Devin's apartment on more than one occasion (why he did not call the police I don't know). Also you are comparing your "normal" (relative term I know) experiences with Shawn's. You are also ignoring the psychology of the situation. You and I can't compare anything we have been through with what Shawn went through.

Quote:
    That aside, I think I can guarantee you that he will start out loving school now and come to hate it pretty quickly when he realizes just how much work it is and how far behind he is from others his age. Hopefully, that will pass with time and he will come to enjoy it again.

==I hope and pray so. I hope that he can get his life back and move away from this.

Quote:
    I always found learning to be fun and never did understand why the other kids in school didn't think so as well.

==I love studying and learning now but I hated it when I was in school.

Quote:
    Please note: I do not condone rape, kidnapping, or abuse and I have no doubt that this kid was kept against his will and that he was not happy with his situation.

==I think everyone understands that. While I disagree with your comments the "spirit" of your words is very different from OReilly's. Sometimes it is not just what is said but also how it is said.

#1 Martin, Feb 14, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2007
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stopped listening to O'Reilly a couple of years ago when he said, on his radio show, that "right wing christians" were essentially no different from Islamic terrorists. If I remember right, he then went on to pontificate his "all religions have merit" theory and most people make it to heaven except the "really, really bad" people like Hitler.

A theologian, he an't.

peace to you:praying: