1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Organ Music in Nashville

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Timsings, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a link to an article about church organs in Nashville. Sharron Lyon was my organist for most of the time I was a member at FBC Nashville. It is particularly good timing for this article to come out. Yesterday, churches of every denomination all over Nashville and all over the country celebrated Easter with wonderful organ music. I know we did. Our special music on Good Friday and Easter came mostly from Handel's Messiah. Yesterday we sang "Since By Man Came Death" and "Hallelujah". Our organist helped make our worship special.

Tim Reynolds

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks Tim for the information. Interesting article. I love organ music. Friends attend Covenant Pres which is mentioned in the article.

3. drfuss

drfuss New Member

"Yesterday, churches of every denomination all over Nashville and all over the country celebrated Easter with wonderful organ music."

I love the wonderful organ music. However, many churches did not celebrate Easter with organ music. I have been in two chuches that changed from traditional music to contemporary music. The organ was the first thing to go to help change to contemporary music. Sad.

4. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In May, Al Travis, the organist at Broadway Baptist in Fort Worth, is doing a concert at Covenant Presbyterian. I'm going to see Dr. Travis at FBC Nashville in a couple of weeks, but I hope to see him at Covenant as well. He and my parents were great friends. He was on the music faculty at Southwestern when my father was there. He played for my father's memorial service at Broadway.

Tim Reynolds

5. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You're right about the churches that have given up organs. That is their prerogative, but it's still sad.

Tim Reynolds