1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Original NASB & Updated NASB

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by CoJoJax, Jan 18, 2010.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, these are not examples of being gender inclusive, in my book. It's a problem of semantics ("the study of meaning") rather than the gender problem. These words are simply examples of Greek words with a broader range of meaning than similar words in English. You can translate anthropos as "man" or "person" or even "human being," and you are using the word exactly as they did in 1st century Greece. The same holds true for teknon, though in this case the primary meaning is "child" and the meaning of "son" only occurs rarely.

2. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Yes if you go to the Greek for your baseline. But for many, translations such as the KJV are a starting point for gender language, thus their confusion. The KJV will use male gender language by default.

I pulled those two examples from John chapter 1 alone.

3. sdonahue1

sdonahue1 New Member

My computer is at work; ergo, I cannot reference it immediately, nor am I on here every day. I will check out the places. In the meantime, I have heard of a book called 'Double Jeopardy' which is entirely about the NASB update. I believe the author is Laurence Vanore.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see your point.

5. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Not a reccomended book if you want to learn anything educational. Its the same tired old KJVO junk. Same garbage, new can.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

IMHO the updated NASB is far superior to the old NASB.