1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Original Sin and its imputation on the human race

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Greektim, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

continued...

The woman in Luke 15 originally had 10 coins, lost one, but searched and recovered it.

The prodigal son originated with his father, left home and was joined to a citizen of a far country. He repented and came home. Twice Jesus said the boy was ALIVE AGAIN. How can you be alive again if you were born dead, separated from God?

See also 1 Pet 2:25

So, I differ slightly from you here.

2. Romans7man

Romans7man New Member

I don't know that I would disagree with that. When I say we are separated from God I am going all the way back to the garden whereas we will be face to face with Him again when we get to heaven. Until then we walk by faith and not by sight. So when I say we are separated from Him its only that we are not walking in the cool of the day with Him. Now after we sin it would be different.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not understanding your post, can you clarify?

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Ok, we are very close. I do agree that we are separated from that face to face experience, and in this condition we are devoid of truth, and that we must be shown the truth through the revelation of God's word and the conviction of the Holy Spirit wrought through his word. Without this we would be in darkness and could not be saved.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your logical conclusion...how does it apply to Christ who shared in humanity in every way we did bit didn't actually sin? He died, was He guilty since He died? Animals also die, your conclusion would having them be guilty sinners too.

Also Scripture says we die (spiritually) in our sins and trespasses which clearly refutes dying in Adam....and the text states due to Adam the many were made sinners, not conceived sinners.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would partially agree with the last part winman.

Actually after reading one of your previous posts I see we are in agreement as to the work of the Holy Spirit in conviction of sin.

Indeed, man left in his natural state would not seek God or believe that he needs a Savior.

This is evident in Christ's prayer:

John 16
    7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
    8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
    9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;​

I believe the scripture teaches that reproval/conviction of sin is a universal gift and not just to the "elect" but to all mankind without which every one of us would be helpless, and hopeless in terms of the ability to believe and be saved.

John 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.​

Those who respond positively will be saved.​

John 3
    19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
    20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
    21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Whatever goodness or godward ability we perceive in ourselves is not our own.​

The scripture planly declares that we love darkness rather than light.​

But I break with calvinism in that I believe God gives/gifts the realization of sin and death to each/every human being that comes into the world.​

What each does with that realization determines his/her eternal destiny.​

How is it that some are drawn to and respond positively to the light while (apparently) most do not...​

I don't know. ​

But this I know, God has done all that He is willing in the realm of His sovereignty and our responsibilty to see that every man who comes into the world has a real and viable opportunity to be saved.​

John 3
    16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
    18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.​

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.​

You keep mentioning animals who die.

They are not the descendants of Adam and Eve, neither do they bear the likeness and image of God.

IMO, the comparison is the proverbial "apples and oranges".

HankD

#86 HankD, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  7. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

When did Adam spiriitually die, as God said that he would?

8. JesusFan

Just curious, so when did Adam soiritually die, as God promised that he would IF he disobeyed God?

9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Winman,
    The purpose of confessions and creeds is to help people from drifting off into error. That is why I post them.
    If you believed the historic confessions you would not repeatedly post this error ,over and over again;

This has been answered many times,and clearly 1cor 15;22 puts an end to your false idea;
    a square is a rhombus, but a rhombus is not necessarily a square......
    how is that quantum???????

10. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad you mentioned this point. I think the language of v. 12 disqualifies Jesus. I believe in order to qualify for imputed sin, you must be able to have death "spread" to you. Since Jesus was virgin born, he is disqualified from the requirement of imputed sin, the qualification being to have death spread from father to child. Not to mention that Jesus laid down his life. Could he have died from old age or something? I don't know. The Bible doesn't really address that. The Bible just says that Jesus wasn't killed but laid down his own life. It was the Father's pleasure to crush him.

Also, I am trying to be careful and point out that Adam as our rep we have his sin AND guilt imputed to us. But Adam's sin affected more than humanity but also creation since Adam was the vice-regent of creation. Thus creation is groaning for redemption (also in Romans). This curse on creation could be said to be imputed guilt, although the sin would not necessarily transfer to amoral beings.

No... Scriptures just say we die. Period. You insert your theology. And it is not that I am disagreeing w/ you. But the issue of death in Rom. 5:12ff. is likely physical death not spiritual.

Since you mentioned v. 19, again I point out that the word "made" is a poor translation. It has the emphasis of appoint (as in a synonym of impute). Paul only used the word 1 other time in Titus 1:5 where he clearly meant "appoint." Cf. my post above where Hodge brings this out as well. It was a good quote. Therefore, v. 19 argues against your last statement and view altogether.

11. JesusFan

They seem to fail to see that Adam and Jesus are "exceptions", as Adam as created by God , and w/o sin nature, and Jesus was conceived by HS, Virgin Birth, so NOT sharing our sin natures, but liek Adam originally, "perfect humanity"

They tend to base much of their theology on jesus being same as us, like by not choosing to sin, proves that we did not get the sin nature as we ascribe us getting!

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

When he sinned, same as every human since.

13. JesusFan

when he sinned, we ALL sinned in him though, as God saw Him as representing ALL of us in his testing...

SAME way, God sees ALL who are Jesus as sharing in His obedience to God!

As His obedience was counted towards those of us who are found in him!

@ men, both representing humanity before God, IF in Adam, guilty and sinners, if in jesus, made alive again!

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a scripture that at very least supports your proposition:

Hebrews 7
    9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.
    10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.​

Levi paid tithes to Melkisedek though he was "yet in the loins of his father" Abraham.​

HankD​

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you use that to disqualify Jesus you also must disqualify Elijah and Enoch. The context of verse 12 is death, not sin.
    This sounds like the doctrine of the immaculate conception. In all honesty, nothing here can be derived from Scripture, it is all opinion and tradition.
    Then people are not punished for their sin, they are punished for Adam's. This also means each fetus and infant dying sans faith perishes.
    Adam was not the vice regent of creation...where do you get that? He was put into rule over the Earth, not the whole of creation that groans in anticipation of redemption.
    You are correct, I do insert my theology that I gain from "Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins." - Ephesians 2:1
    Every translation I have read says "made" or "became". The problem you have is the connection between Adam and Christ. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.
    For your understanding to work universalism would have to be the only conclusion. If all humanity is guilty in Adam and dies spiritually via one man, "so also" all humanity will be made righteous via one man. No other outcome is possible. It's contradictory to state the first group is all humanity and the second is not when they are clearly linked together in the second part of the verse as "the many". Verse 18 drives home this point further.

#95 webdog, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is figurative, not literal....however Ephesians 2:1 is quite literal and straight forward.

17. JesusFan

in the same way, ALL of us were "in the loins" of ther father of Human race, Adam!

#97 JesusFan, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not even close! Paul wasn't addressing the church at Ephesus in figurative terms. We die in our sins and trespasses, period. Are you going to tell me Ephesians 2:5 and Colossians 2:13 are also figurative? If you cannot understand a human being paying tithes while in his father's loins as being figurative, can't help you.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

If what JF believes is true, then we are not only guilty of Adam's first sin, but all his sins, and the sins of all our fathers inbetween!

And if sin is inherited from our parents, why isn't righteousness? If our parents were believers, why was not their faith also imputed to us?

Ezekiel 18:20 clearly and directly says the son shall not bear the iniquity of his father. This teaching that sin is imputed to us through Adam or our other parents is false and unscriptural. Augustine was wrong.

20. JesusFan