1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ORIGINAL SIN---Exactly what is it according to CALVINISM?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Wes Outwest, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

One is subject to the law the moment one is conceived because babies die and death is a judgement that the one that dies has sinned. David told you but you don't believe him, PS 51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. But then that was only David.</font>[/QUOTE]So you believe the before God gave Moses the Law to give to the people that all the people who lived and died before Moses were subject to the Mosaic law?

2. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

You give the impression that the child in the womb is in some sort of tomb. I think I would disagree with you. I do not see the infant as deaf and blind to the outside world but involved with it in many ways. That John was saved and could recognise his Master's approach proves that unborn babies can know more than some people already born. Luke 1:44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.</font>[/QUOTE]Well why don't you administer the bar exam to infants if they are so versed in the law. I said we simply do not do teach our infants very well in the womb. Now does that sound like I do not believe that infants in the womb are not becoming aware of the life around them?

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Just in case you are elevating me above my station I would like to point out to you that I am not the Judge and therefore find no one guilty of anything. But God says that the baby is a trangressor of His law and is therefore subject to it's punishment. Death reveals this truth.</font>[/QUOTE]You know the law, or at least you think you know the law. What law has the infant violated that would make it a sinner?

4. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Do they? [Cool] But I was talking about children not grown ups. Grown ups will go to the place that tickles their ears. I would not attend an Arminian Church as an Arminian would not attend a Calvinistic one.</font>[/QUOTE]I would suggest that you have the attitude of a bigot. I have attended, and indeed been a respected member of many churches of both persuasions. I have been Southern Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Nazarene, Assembly of God, Four Square, Missionary Baptist, Calvary Chapel, Evangelical Free, Conservative Baptist, and several more. No, I am not simply a church hopper, I have actually moved around the country and the world extensively, and attend which ever church has the better reputation in the neighborhood. Seldom have I been disappointed as they all have something to offer. Sticking with one doctrine causes one to become bigoted toward that doctrine. To gain a better understanding of the church, and the scriptures, you really should personally visit other churches so that you can see their FAITH is the same FAITH that YOU claim for yourself.

5. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

No law no sin no sin no death. No law no Sovereign no Sovereign no God. "No God." A fool says. </font>[/QUOTE]That is not the biblical meaning of what I said. But I no longer expect you to understand the scriptures, as you are too far engrained in your own misunderstandings.

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Now there's a phrase you don't often see in the bible. PS 51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me. Romans 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law... "There is no one righteous, not even one; 3:11 there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." 13 "Their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit." "The poison of vipers is on their lips." 14 "Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness." 15 "Their feet are swift to shed blood; 3:16 ruin and misery mark their ways, 17 and the way of peace they do not know." 18 "There is no fear of God before their eyes." INNOCENCE REIGNS! Is that from the New Alternative Bible or the old one?</font>[/QUOTE]I see you always stop before you get to "the REST of the STORY". So, I'll add it here! and since you always manage to screw things up by taking passages of scripture out of their context, lets just see what Paul is saying.
    Seems to me that Paul is speaking to adults or mature humans, about things they should understand, and not about or to babies.

7. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Johnp said,

8. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Precisely the question Paul expects. Romans 9:19 One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who resists his will?"
    Then he puts the boot in, "Romans 9:20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God? "Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, `Why did you make me like this?' " 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for noble purposes and some for common use?"
    Who do you think you are Wes? Not nice is it?
    PS 51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

johnp.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Wrong answer to the question! You are simply not very observant!

9. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

It's been a while since Eli has had a trot out! There was no atonement for his house was there? Your 'all humanity' must be limited by Eli's house at least must it not. Of course you can try to twist the scripture to mean anything you like but the truth remains that, 1 Sam 3:14 Therefore, I swore to the house of Eli, `The guilt of Eli's house will never be atoned for by sacrifice or offering.' " That 'never' there in that verse, that is an important word isn't it? Limited Atonement must be a fact. [Cool] </font>[/QUOTE]Well I guess you could say that Jesus' atonement is limited in that it excludes Eli's house. I wonder what percentage of Mankind Eli's house represents. Considering the whole of mankind, it seems that Eli's house is pretty insignificant.

It's really nice to know why Eli's family does not fit the mold. Perhaps we fathers will take note and correct our own children.

10. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Eph 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory. It is not faith that marks a man saved but the Holy Spirit that marks a man saved.</font>[/QUOTE]NO FAITH? NO HOLY SPIRIT! No HOLY SPIRIT? No faith! Ya can't have one without the other!

11. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

12. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Of course. I will stop using the word 'lost' as it is misleading. Reprobate will do.</font>[/QUOTE]No, you don't get away with that either, Jesus said, "I come to seek and to save that which was lost". "Reprobate" does not mean the same!

13. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    On Original Sin and its transmission.

It is interesting to see this debate unfold. I have read some of the post and I have seen some good things and I have seen some not-so-good things. Honestly, I don’t think any of the post I’ve read (and I haven’t read them all) deal with the question. Therefore, I’ll throw my two cents in.

Original Sin is best understood in terms of two concepts: 1) The legal guilt we inherit from Adam and 2) The predisposition to commit sin.

Obviously, I think we can all agree the fall DID happen. (See Genesis 3). The Apostle Paul gives us the correct interpretation of this event in Romans 5:12. He writes Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned.

This passage tells us that sin spread to all men because of Adam’s sin. This means that Adam’s sin has lasting consequences which are transmitted to us. This is due to Adam’s special role as a “Federal Head.” These consequences are as follows: 1) A legally guilt standing before God. Adam stood as our representative before God. Because of this, we are all guilty of his sin, in God’s eyes. This is evidenced by Romans 5:13-14: for sin indeed was in the world before the law was given, but sin is not counted where there is no law. [14] Yet death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those whose sinning was not like the transgression of Adam, who was a type of the one who was to come.

The law was not given until Moses and Mt. Sinai. However, sin was in the world before this as evidenced by the fact that men still died. Even without the law, men still died. Why? Because they were held as sinners because of Adam’s sin.

There are some of you who will probably have great problems with this. Let me just say that if there is no “Imputation” of sin from the first Adam, how can you argue for an Imputation of righteousness from the Last Adam?

When we see people like Abraham, we can see that God had a special relationship with them—they performed sacrifices, etc. before the Law was given. Obviously they were the recipients of a “special” revelation from God. (This is not to say their “salvation” was based on their sacrifices.)

The ongoing problem that we now have, in addition to a legally guilty standing before God, is the problem of total depravity. When we say “total depravity” we mean that humans are totally tarnished by sin. This does not mean that we are as bad as we could be. It means that every part of us is, in some way, tarnished by sin.

These two things conspire against us because we are inherently unrighteous. Romans 3:10 says, as it is written: None is righteous, no, not one; The following verses (which you can look at for yourselves) paint the dim picture that we, because we are totally unrighteous, cannot seek after God. In fact, Romans says we are worthless.

This is why, as Calvinists, we believe that regeneration must come before redemption. If we cannot and do not seek after God, how can we find God unless He acts first? We can’t! He must replace our sin-destroyed heart of stone with a God-seeking heart of flesh.

I’m going to bed now. I hope I haven’t confused any of y’all. I’m sure that there will be a myriad of people who do not agree. I’ll try (no promises) to look back and answer any replies to either clarify or defend this position. If you’d like, feel free to private message me and we can discuss things behind the scenes. Until then, Take Care and God bless all of you!

The Archangel

14. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Archangle;
    I agree that man is a sinner and that man dies. but You said;
    This passage does not say that we cannot seek God that's just not there. It says there is none that seeks God. Huge difference don't you think. To say man cannot do something when we are told to do it, is ridiculous.
    Why would God even suggest that we should seek or that we will seek Him. And for that matter there is so much scripture written that plainly states that men have and still can seek God. Why would you say such a thing.
    Again totally unscriptural You've base your belief on a misreading of Scripture.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Wes.

Then your contention that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world falls to the ground.

Limited atonement.

No atonement was made for the house of Eli therefore no atonement was made for every human being.
    Where do you go from here Wes?

johnp.

16. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

JohnP;
    Christ died for the whole world He did not die for hell.
    Mike

17. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Thank you for the information ILUVLIGHT would you care explaining what you mean?

johnp.

18. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Then your contention that Jesus died for the sins of the whole world falls to the ground.

Limited atonement.

No atonement was made for the house of Eli therefore no atonement was made for every human being.

johnp.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Jesus' atonement was not for people, and that is where you fail! Jesus' atonement was for sin! Therefore SIN does not keep a person from having everlasting life through faith in God!

You will notice the reason Eli's house was excluded! YES! REJECTION OF GOD!

19. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

Limited atonement.

johnp.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Jesus' atonement was not for people, and that is where you fail! Jesus' atonement was for sin! Therefore SIN does not keep a person from having everlasting life through faith in God!

You will notice the reason Eli's house was excluded! YES! REJECTION OF GOD!
    </font>[/QUOTE]I really shouldn't get into this...but here goes!

The "theology" put forward by Wes in this post is nothing short of heresy.

The Bible never suggests that Jesus’ death was for any opaque notion of a universal or mystical “Sin.” 1 Corinthians 15:3 states exactly the opposite: For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for OUR SINS in accordance with the scriptures (emphasis mine)

Notice that Christ’s death has a personal function. He died for the individual sins committed by individual people. The word “our” tells us this. The one-for-one substitution of Christ for my sin is taught in other passages of scripture as well. For Example:

Isaiah 53:6
    -All we like sheep have gone astray;
    we have turned every one to his own
    way;
    and the LORD has laid on him
    the iniquity of us all

Isaiah 59:2
    -but your iniquities have made a
    separation
    between you and your God,
    and your sins have hidden his face from
    you
    so that he does not hear

Notice the use of personal language such as “We have gone astray…” (Clearly a reference to our sin) and “Your sins have hidden his face from you…”

Not even the Old Testament sacrificial system can support the claim made by Wes.

Let’s say, for sake of our discussion, that Wes is correct—all sin was paid for by Christ. Why would Eli’s house be rejected? For rejecting God, as was said? Isn’t the rejection of God a sin? Of course it is; the Bible teaches this clearly. What about the people today who, as was claimed, have had their sins forgiven by Christ but still reject God. Why will they be condemned? Will it be for their “Sin” of rejecting God? But how can someone be held liable for something that Christ paid for? Do you see the problem?

What about this statement: “Therefore SIN does not keep a person from having everlasting life through faith in God!” If this is the case why does Isaiah 59:2 say exactly the opposite?

I’m anticipating the answer will deal somewhat with the difference between Old and New Testaments. Unfortunately, that is almost a bogus argument. However, I’m sure that I’ll hear it and that’s OK. Until then, blessings to all!

The Archangel

20. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi JohnP;
    You said;
    It's simple Eli's house was in Hell by the time Christ paid the atonement. To late for him for it to have done any good.

1Sa 3:14 And therefore I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offering forever.
    Now I suppose your thinking that maybe all of his descendants were included in this but you'd be wrong Samule was eli's son. and sins are not passed on.

1Sa 3:19 And Samuel grew, and the LORD was with him, and did let none of his words fall to the ground.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]