1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ORIGINAL SIN---Exactly what is it according to CALVINISM?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Wes Outwest, Jan 31, 2005.

1. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Younglady20
    you asked;
    I believe Calvins idea of original sin was Adam and Eve disobeying God's comandment not to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Calvinist seem to believe that God is the author of that sin in that if God didn't want them to sin they couldn't have.

I disagree that God is the Author of sin. How ever God did allow man the choice. simply with out choice God could never have real Love from man. If man is made to Love God then man's love for God is forced because man never had a choice. The only way true Love can exist is freely.If man is allowed to love God by his own choice then man's love is real.
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

2. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Furthermore, without choice we are not in the image of God!

3. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Furthermore, without choice we are not in the image of God!

4. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Imagine that, you click on the "add reply" button twice and you get two posts!

5. ILUVLIGHT

ILUVLIGHT Guest

Hi Wes;
    isn't that cool :cool:
    May Christ Shine His Light On Us All;
    Mike [​IMG]

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello younglady20.

http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/institutes/bookii/bookii03.htm

johnp.

7. younglady20

younglady20 New Member

Thanx everyone for tha info. Here soon im goin to have a paper to write. 8 pages to be exact. On anything from the Reformation time....free will, original sin, predestination. Im gonna need some help most def. Im new to the history of rel. thats why i took rel 212. Its hard for me to grasp everything. Any sugg. on a paper. And any sugg period would be lovely.
    THANX

8. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Wes.

Bind over : to put under bonds to do something (as to appear at court) <he was bound over to the grand jury>
    "bind over." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (19 Feb. 2005).

A winner! :cool:

Seems to me as if you are in a mess Wes. All men have been bound over and you have not recognised it in yourselfrighteousness. :cool:

johnp.

9. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

WRONG Johnp!
    I have thought it through, and understand what Paul is talking about. "bound over to disobedience"! Yes, I would have to say that pretty well defines "original sin"! Thanks for providing the reference even though you are attempting to put me down.

If all men are "bound over" as Paul says, and remain bound over, then of what possible use is the Atonement for the sins of the world?

Being bound over to disobedience is our sin nature which is not removed from us because God sealed it into man.

However, Jesus Atoned for ALL Sins of the world ONCE for all!

It is not our sin nature that we die for, it is our sins. That is why the Apostle John gave us 1 John 1:9,10. If we confess our sins, HE is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

If we could live our lives 'sinlessly' as Jesus, who being one of us being born of human flesh did, then we would still be bound over to disobedience. The difference between Jesus and the rest of humanity is that Jesus was God in the flesh of man, and HE is called "Worthy" because he defeated sin and Death.

Even after our redemption or Regeneration and being Born Again, We remain "bound over to our sin nature which is "disobedience".

What you are attempting to equate is our nature, being bound over to disobedience, with our deeds (sins).

There is no way we can escape our nature, and that is why God gave us His only begotten Son to pay the penalty for sin, so that even though we sin, we can have everlasting life through faith in God.

Jesus told those "caught in the act" to "go and sin no more". If we in our "being bound over" do not have the ability to go and sin no more, why would Jesus tell us to do so? Wouldn't he have just been blowin' smoke?

Think it through!