1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Original Sin

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jan 15, 2007.

1. russell55

russell55 New Member

In other words, the kindom of heaven belongs to those who are like these children in some way. That's what the word such means. He's making a point about the faith (or receptiveness) that is necessary to belong to the kingdom. This becomes even clearer in Mark's account, where Mark includes the next words of Jesus
    This is teaching us something about the nature of saving faith, not the natural condition, as it relates to sin, of children.

2. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allan:

Allan,

You wrote:

Now listen here: I have shown you nothing but courtesy. We disagree on a myriad of issues, that is true. I have always been cordial and respectful in my replies. However you, for whatever reason seem quite incapable of similar courtesy or your are unwilling to give similar courtesy.

I have asked several questions, which you have given respectable answers to—and I’m saying that even though I thought some of your answers were not correct. Yet you persist, not in discussion, but in attack. This is quite unbecoming of a “so called” Christian Brother. I expect and deserve better treatment from you.

Blessings,

The Archangel

#82 The Archangel, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2007
  3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, Bob.
    I'm on your side on this issue, that God does not send infants and babies to hell.
    But, what do you make of the words "for of such" in the Scripture you quoted.

4. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Yea, like humble yourself as that child which is already part of the Kingdom.

"for of such", I have always taken it to mean the humbleness of little children. What do you think it is Pinoy?

5. russell55

russell55 New Member

Just as a matter of note, I'm not sure anyone has said that God sends infants and babies to hell. I certainly haven't. The conversation is about whether we all have original sin--a sin nature and imputed guilt from Adam--or not.

My own point about infants is that even they--who I agree are innocent as to their deeds, just not perfectly righteous--do not go to heaven on their own merit.

#85 russell55, Jan 20, 2007
  6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You know, what is a sin nature if one is not able to understand. I think we are born subject to vanity but we don't get to the vanity until we know what it is. The scriptures speak of the Law being added for the knowledge of sin, although our conscious either accused or excused us before but children had not that kind of understanding of vanity for the conscious to affect them. That is what I think about little children. Sin is doing wrong and without knowledge, then how?

7. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes you do Archangel. And I truly appolgize. My bad day should not reflect in our conversations. Forgive me?

However my persistance of attack equates in totality of one single posting only in which I was very ungracious and agree with all repentence. But I will call you on your statement of "..."so called" christian brother...". An eye for an eye is no better either. That which you expect and deserve maintains on even those who upset you for good reason.

8. Allan

Allan Active Member

I was following you till you stretched that last bit like a leotard. :laugh:
    If it teaches us anything it shows that all may come to Christ.
    This says nor equates to anything about the nature of saving faith unless it be that all men (like all children) can do it.

Jesus didn't say let only some or even the chosen children but all those who wanted to come to Him may approach without fear.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Double posting on my part.

#89 Allan, Jan 20, 2007
  10. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm in agreement there.

But if they (babies and such) have sin GUILT. Then they have to be judged for that guilt for it imparts unrighteousness due to unholyness and is HELL.

Innocence is having done niether (good or bad- most specifically ever will be able to) refers to their inability to ever do either - ever. Their sin nature is that which is seperated from God and because of that we by virtue of our nature do those things to which we are predisposed. No God = godlessness. But this still does not place the guilt of sin upon them. For the scriptures (as I showed IMO quite clearly) judgment is upon those who have sinned and those who walk in disobedience.

A sin nature does not imply guilt. But is the causation of sin that brings forth sin from with we are guilty.

Mans nature has already been judged by God and that resulted in seperation. But Christ died to reconcile man back to God. Does this not bring balance to the equation. A small child or baby can not sin for they can not as of yet do as they desire and therefore do not walk in disobedience knowing truth and reject it. So in death all they have to account for is their sin nature which can not come unto God unless there be a reconciling of man to God. Maybe it is just me but I find not fault to it.

11. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allan:

Allan,

Apology GLADLY accepted.

Let me explain: The use of “So Called” was for one simple reason—you have been showing a similar pattern of behavior in your posts with nearly everyone. Now, I think I read you’d been having a bad day and I understand that. However, a bad day can be a reason for your behavior, not an excuse.

When I used the phrase “So Called” it was based on the behavior you had demonstrated heretofore in this thread of the board. Not knowing you personally and not having any basis to interpret your posts, except by your own words, I drew the conclusion that you thought it OK to treat your brothers and sisters in a derogatory and contemptuous manner. By any Biblical definition (Especially when you read 1st John) you showed yourself to be something less than a brother.

Since you have realized this and have repented, I see no reason to still attach the “So Called” label to you—you have shown the fruit of a true Christian brother, as far as I can tell.

I hope and pray we can build on this growing, cordial relationship and begin to discuss some matters in depth with the grace and courtesy that should exemplify Christian brothers and sister and I hope that grace and courtesy extends to everyone on this board.

Blessings,

The Archangel

Ps. I'll be away from any computer for some time. Have a great weekend!

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Please pass this on to your friends. Some of them haven't gotten this yet.

Except that pesky passage in 2 Sam indicates otherwise.

The Bible says "All have sinned" right? "There is none that does good." Yet you want to omit infants from that. So all doesn't mean all? Can you please explain?

I think you are missing some things on the respecter of persons idea, but I am not going to get involved in that for the sake of time.

13. Allan

Allan Active Member

I understand you will be away...but when you get back I would me most intriged as to where you find any of this you cited:
    Please and do tell where you can find this or anyone who would agree with you.

#93 Allan, Jan 20, 2007
  14. russell55

russell55 New Member

It's the imperfection in the makeup we are born with that will surely blossom into disobedient acts when the understanding and the opportunity come. It's already there, in a baby, before the know-how to carry out actual acts of disobedience is present.

I agree.

I agree, if by this you mean that we don't actually act in a vain way until we grow into the ability to act that way.

The law lays things out pretty clearly for us, so we can't miss the point.

I don't disagree.

I think knowledge is necessary to actually commit sin. However, I think the imperfection that we are all born with (that I mentioned at the top of this post) is still a problem. It, too, brings God's wrath.

In addition, we know that nothing imperfect can be in God's presence; so infants, too, need a changed nature and glorified bodies--both things that come to us through Christ's death--in order to be in God's presence. Even infants must gain eternal life on the basis of Christ's death--Christ merits it for them. That's what the phrase in Christ alone means: there is no other basis (or no other grounds)--even innocence won't do it--by which any human being merits eternal life except the merit of Christ.

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

Ok, Please show me this dispensation.
    Though it is not stressed by this commentary he does show other (specifically Calvinists) do hold to the aspect I am speaking of.
    No problem there.

16. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

So, it also could be called "subject to vanity" when they blossom, could it not?

Of course it still takes the Grace of God to give babies eternal life for they sure are not born with it.
    Grace of God being the "Love of God".

Which way did they go, which way did they go. :)

#96 Brother Bob, Jan 20, 2007
  17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, I'm sorry if I said something nobody has said. I apologize.

Brother Bob: What I understand of the term "for of such" is that those who belong to the kingdom of heaven have the childlike character of unquestioning trust. I guess that's what yours is, too.

18. russell55

russell55 New Member

Yep. Subject to vanity when they blossom into actual doers of evil deeds, but also, as you said, born subject to vanity.

You'll notice, in that verse from Romans that you are quoting, that God subjecting the creature to vanity gives them hope. Pastor Larry has been pointing out about imputed guilt (which is part of the doctrine of original sin) is part of the basis for our condemnation, but it's also the part of our condemnation that gives us hope. It means that in the same way that Adam's sin was counted against us, Christ's righteousness can be counted for us. Babies who go to heaven need Christ's righteousness, too--and all the benefits that come from that, like adoption and glorification and inheritance--even though as to actual sins they are innocent.

If you think babies need the grace of God in order to have eternal life, then you believe, in some form anyway, in original sin.
    Yes, God's grace comes his love.

19. russell55

russell55 New Member

No problem. I was just afraid that my questions about whether infants were glorified or not might be interpreted to mean that I thought that infants automatically went to hell or something like that.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Depends on where you want to put the orginal sin, the child or Adam. I do not believe in "original sin of the infant" but his pronouncement of death came from Adam sinning.

I don't think of "orginal sin" as to the child itself but to Adam sin, and the penalty was passed unto them, for they were born to die and begin dying the minute they were born. There is a difference though. Adam also was pronounced to die the second death and that is where I think the child is free from until it comes to know vanity.

Also, "being made subject to vanity". What give the Hope is "not willingly but by reason of Him(God), who subjected the same in Hope" (Jesus Christ)

#100 Brother Bob, Jan 20, 2007