1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Orlando shooting

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo!!!

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Genesis 31:7
    Yet your father has cheated me and changed my wages ten times; however, God did not allow him to hurt me.

Judges 2:23
    So the Lord allowed those nations to remain, not driving them out quickly; and He did not give them into the hand of Joshua.

There are lots of examples where God does not allow this or that. Also note that the words translated "grant" mean to allow.
    Genesis 19:21
    He said to him, “Behold, I grant you this request also, not to overthrow the town of which you have spoken.

Often the word "grant" is used as meaning God is giving something to someone, but it also is used to mean God is allowing someone to do something, such as repent. If God hardens a person's heart, God is not allowing repentance. But if God does not harden a person's heart, then He is allowing repentance. Not causing it but not preventing it.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, here is my favorite concerning your last paragraph:

will give them = grant.

2 Timothy 2
    24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
    25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
    26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Did God change His mind?
    This is a tough question for me because although He didn't change His mind His will takes a different direction for those ensnared by the devil as the result of the patient and gentle teaching of the servant(s) of the Lord.

HankD

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lots of times God sets before us an opportunity, if we do this He will relent, otherwise the hand basket awaits. When God grants repentance, He sets before us the opportunity, He allows us to repent, He leaves the door open. Scripture also teaches sometimes He closes the door, John 6:65. Judas was not granted repentance, because his purpose was to betray Christ.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK but perhaps He didn't grant Judas repentance for a different reason. Bad enough he betrayed Christ.

HankD