1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured OSAS is a misleading term

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisnumbersdisconnected

That may very well be one of the best explanations I've ever read. :thumbsup:

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree that new birth removes sin. However, where we disagree is that the basic division between material versus immaterial has no further subdivision in the immaterial between "spirit" and "soul." Hence, I would apply your removal of sin to the "spirit" only but not to the soul. I believe man is a threefold being for three levels of consciousness:

1. Outer world consciousness - physical body and senses
    2. Inner world consciousness - soul (intellect, will, emotions)
    3. Other world consciousness - spirit

What has been born of the Spirit of God is "spirit" (Jn. 3:6) and thus His Spirit bears witness with our spirit we are born again (Rom. 8:16). Hence, what aspect of our nature has been cleansed from sin is our "spirit" but not our soul or body. The soul is the point of warfare between the spirit and body. The soul is where we "put on" the inclinations of our spirit and where we "put off" the lusts driven by the principle of corruption in our flesh. The body is still dominated by the principle of corruption or the law of sin is still at operation dominating it with a perverted lusts for natural cravings.

The soul (intellect and emotions as expressed by the will as the will serves only to express thought or feelings) is the battle ground of spiritual warfare between the regenerated spirit and this body of death.

#42 The Biblicist, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I totally reject this theory altogether and completely. God never created any living thing that simply reproduced PART of its kind - the physical part. Ephesians 2:2-3 repudiates your theory completely as prior to indwelling by the Spirit of God, demons operated "in" the children of disobedience. Thirdly, that is why the "spirit" needs regeneration and removal of sin because it is dominated by the presence and power of the spirits of disobedience - demonic. When natural man reforms himself, Jesus said "seven more SPIRITS" enter in and take up residence.

Natural Man is not an ongoing creative work of God. What is replicated in the process of reproduction after its own kind is the WHOLE man not PART man.

Finally, infants are born with a depraved nature and their responses prove it. You NEVER have to teach children to do evil or be completely self-centered - it comes naturally and that does not come naturally from a spirit without inclination to evil or good, but a depraved spirit that manifests itself in evil and selfishness as soon as it is capable of expression.

#43 The Biblicist, Jul 16, 2014
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FWIW, if by OSAS you mean 'once in the land always in the land', it is wrong. Even as Israel had to 'maintain' obedience to remain in the land:

Ye shall walk in all the way which Jehovah your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess. Dt 5:p33

,,,,so must the Christian 'maintain' obedience to remain 'in the land':

......to present you holy and without blemish and unreproveable before him: if so be that ye continue in the faith, grounded and stedfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel which ye heard, Col 1:22,23

Behold then the goodness and severity of God: toward them that fell, severity; but toward thee, God`s goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. Ro 11:22

Now I make known unto you brethren, the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye received, wherein also ye stand, by which also ye are saved, if ye hold fast the word which I preached unto you, except ye believed in vain. 1 Cor 15:1,2

but Christ as a son, over his house; whose house are we, if we hold fast our boldness and the glorying of our hope firm unto the end...... for we are become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our confidence firm unto the end: Heb 3:6,14

OTOH, if OSAS simply means 'once regenerate always regenerate', or 'once a child of [the heavenly] Zion always a child of Zion', then yeah, it's spot on.

#44 kyredneck, Jul 16, 2014
  5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a bit confused. How do you differentiate between having to maintain obedience to be in the land and "once regenerate always regenerate"?

6. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because I differentiate between the eternal and temporal aspects of our salvation. The one in 1 Cor 5:5 was lost temporally, yet remained saved eternally.

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Wow! I have never heard that kind of application of OSAS before? What has "land" got to do with the spiritual condition of a man or of a nation of people? OSAS has no application until first a person(s) are saved. It is the state of salvation that is secured.

#47 The Biblicist, Jul 16, 2014
  8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You like types, what did 'the promised land' typify?

9. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm drilling down on this a bit just to make sure I understand you correctly. So, let's say because a Christian persists in a immoral lifestyle that God takes their life. They may be saved, but they suffered the loss of their temporal life because of their lack of obedience. Some believe that is what happened to Ananias and Sapphira. Because of their lying to the Holy Spirit they were disciplined to the point of death, but their souls were preserved.

Is this in line with what you believe?

10. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, 'saved' [sozo] has to be interpreted on an individual basis, I just presented a clear case where sozo is used in the eternal sense, but by far most applications of the word are intended other than the eternal. Mainstream Christianity has gommed the word up to be synonymous with regeneration or born from above when it is correctly to be understood as 'made whole', or delivered, in this temporal realm. Lost sheep become saved sheep when they come home to the kingdom through obedience to the gospel here on earth. No matter what they do they will always be His sheep, but remaining 'in the kingdom' is quite another matter.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once a sheep, always a sheep.

12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aye.
    God's people have always been His sheep, never were goats,never can.be goats in His sight. Comforting thought.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ALL of us were goats though once, and only became sheep when we received jesus thru faith!

14. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did I ever state wrongly what you see as being the truth though?

You don't even agree at times with your own Confessions, much less the Bible!

15. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Christ came looking for lost goats?

16. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 15:24 KJV
    But he answered and said , I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

According to Yeshua this should be "goats of Israel".

17. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am genuinely confused by your response, especially by this statement:

I agree that there are sheep who are not yet part of the fold; i.e. they have yet to be regenerated. The term commonly used to refer to these still lost sheep are "the elect". Because they are elect there will come a specific time when they will turn from their sin and place their faith in Christ. At that point they will be declared righteous and just before God. Although predestined to be justified, justification takes place at a point in time. If that is what you mean by "obedience to the gospel" then I agree with your statement, inasmuch as Acts 17:30 states that God has declared to all men everywhere to repent. If you mean something else by your statement then please clarify.

Thanks.

18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will echo what some others have said. You are really off-base. You sound like another poster (not in this thread). I had to do a thread called Jesus is not a goatherder.

Please reference Scripture to prove your claim that "ALL of us were goats though once" -- are you sure you're a Calvinist?

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeshua1
    When you post a scripture verse in context , or answer the questions that are asked of you...then I will respond to you or your ideas:wavey:

I do not think you have even read any confession of faith.

You speak much about the bible...and I and Kyred have asked you over a dozen times to use it.
    Not once have you used it to respond to anything.

if you make the statement that I do not agree with the bible as you just have , man up and take your best shot. Show it and offer correction from scripture

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.