1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ossuary of James declared fake

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by GraceSaves, Jun 18, 2003.

1. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

2. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Grant,

While I think it would have been interesting if it was ruled authentic, my biggest problem accepting that Mary didn't have children is Luke's use of 'adelphos' (besides other things in the Gospels). He understood cousin relationships and I have not heard a good explanation as to why he would not use a different word to describe the Lord's cousins. But I don't want to hijack your thread from the start. [​IMG]

The Lord Bless You,
    Neal

3. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Hey Neal,

I understand your concerns. I just think that it is funny considering how quickly many jumped to use this as PROOF, whereas all along, Catholics have patiently known that it would prove nothing.

God bless you,

Grant

4. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

It is funny. Hey, can you blame us? Don't all Protestants want to get that proof that will bury the Catholic Church once and for all? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Christ Be Praised,
    Neal

5. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

It is funny. Hey, can you blame us? Don't all Protestants want to get that proof that will bury the Catholic Church once and for all? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Christ Be Praised,
    Neal
    </font>[/QUOTE]"In this world we have seen the Roman Catholic power dying ... for many centuries. Many a time we have gotten all ready for the funeral and found it postponed again, on account of the weather or something ... Apparently one of the most uncertain things in the world is the funeral of a religion."

- Mark Twain

God bless,

Grant

6. trying2understand

trying2understand New Member

From the article:

"The ossuary is real. But the inscription is fake," the director of Israel's Antiquities Authority, Shuka Dorfman, told Reuters.

What this means is that somebody took a real box and forged the writing on it, probably to give it a religious significance," Dorfman added."

Do you suppose that whoever created this deception might have actually thought that they were doing God's will?

Could it have been an "ends justifies the means" sort of a deal?

Thanks for the update, Grant.

7. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

They may have thought that, but they were clearly not doing God's will. That is an interesting take. They probably rationalized it by thinking the end did justify the means.

Praise Christ Who Is THE Truth,
    Neal

8. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

The inscription looked like a fake to me, the second half of it written by someone else.

9. servant4him

servant4him New Member

Christ Be Praised,
    Neal [/QB][/QUOTE]

Not all protestants. We don't agree with the Catholics, but in my opinion I wouldn't want to put down the Catholics Church, because their beliefs have just as much proof of truth as ours.

10. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Servant4Him,

I was joking with Grant. [​IMG]

The Lord Bless You,
    Neal

11. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

If it was real, so what? Didnt care then and dont care now.

12. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Usually people who are not interested don't bother to post and say that they don't care. That kind of defeats the purpose. What WAS your reason for posting, since no one made any reference to your personal opinion on the matter?

God bless,

Grant

13. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

The reason was that I fail to se all the hoopla over relics. The written word is enough for me.

14. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

This wasn't about a relic, it was a historical artifact that supposedly proved Jesus had brothers and discredited the Catholic position that Jesus had no siblings. At the time it came out, many here made a big deal about it, and wanted a reaction from the Catholics.

God Bless