1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OT commandments Christians are required to obey

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, May 2, 2006.

?
  1. ALL OT commandments

20.0%
  2. All OT commandments unless the NT says Christians are not obligated [e.g., circumcision]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. All OT <i>moral</i> commandments—which excludes <i>ceremonial</i> or <i>sacrificial</i> commandments

10.0%
  4. All OT moral commandments, but prescribed punishments [e.g., death penalty for cursing one’s parents

5.0%
  5. The <i>Decalogue</i> or <i>Ten Commandments</i>

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The Decalogue, but with the Sabbath day the 1st day rather than the 7th

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Decalogue, but with the Sabbath day meaning one day in 7, not necessarily the Hebrew 7th day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The Decalogue, but with ‘graven images’ allowed as long as they are not actually worshipped

15.0%
  9. The only OT commandments required of Christians are those the NT specifically says are required of C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Only to “love the LORD with all your heart… and your neighbor as yourself”—just go by these as we un

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. All we need to glean from the OT are the wisdom books and some prophecies—no OT <i>laws</i>

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. None—we are obligated to <i>nothing</i> from the OT and therefore we don’t need it

25.0%
  13. I am still <i>seeking</i> the right answer to this, but have not resolved a position

25.0%
  14. None of these options fit my position

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Old Testament commands do Christians have an obligation to obey? Since this topic has been arising with some regularity lately, let us try to determine where the temperament of this board stands. Because some of the ‘right’ answers may overlap, 2 options are allowed.

2. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

well theres obviously "The Golden Rule..."

3. gekko

gekko New Member

keep everything but the sacrificial laws (Christ was the last Sacrifice)

the feasts i believe we should follow.
    Circumsision was a covenant, not a commandment.
    the sabbath on the hebrew 7th day. there's 4 verses in Exodus 20 explaining when the sabbath should be.
    what is meant by ceremonial laws?

all the dietary laws yes.

here's a couple things i found.

The Law: For Jews Only?
    Clean and Unclean Commandments

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

everythnig but the sacrifical laws?
    like not wearing two types of fabrics at the same time, or fabrics that are mixed materials?

5. gekko

gekko New Member

check it:

in the OT, israel had to sacrifice constantly over and over for a sign of forgiveness of sins. (the blood of goats and sheep (can't remember right wording in hebrews) did not take away sins. it was their obediance and faith)

now Jesus has come (perfect lamb) and died (sacrifice) and took away the sins of the world (if we accept that) Jesus is eternal. therefore his sacrifice is eternal, for He is eternal. he has paid our fine eternally. therefore, there is no need for us to sacrifice, because Jesus (the eternal Son) already is the eternal sacrifice.

now listen. i am not saying that Jesus is up on the cross for eternity. im not saying that.

im saying that the payment Jesus brought to the Judge is there for us. we just gotta accept it. its always going to be there.

the sacrificial laws are still there. but its already been done by our Lord Jesus Christ. He's given us grace for that.

6. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I think donnA was asking if we should still abide to the ridiculous ones which she exampled, but forgive me if I misinterped...

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ceremonial laws mean largely rules about defilement, purification, cleansing baths, festivals, et al. Dietary laws would come under 'ceremonial' as well, but they would inevitably come to be considered 'moral' laws since they are stuff you just don't do.

There have only been 10 responses to the poll so far, but they vary about as expected; though it's slightly surprising that 40% say they are still trying to make up their minds about this. It's probably no mystery why some people declare something like "well, we don't have burn lambs on the altar, but we shouldn't eat rattlesnakes."

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why would it be neccessary for a Christian to desire to break the Ten Commandments? Why not keep them?

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because they are not all NT-declared to be required of NT Christians. But it wouldn't be "necessary to desire to break" them; I don't really understand that term.

10. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Good luck living by any laws for they bring death (seperation). The law was given to show that no one could live by them, because no one can be perfect. The pressure of trying to live by the law steals the joy of life. (Letter of the law killeth but the spirit giveth life).
    Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

This does not mean the law has been done away with only that we are to consider what the law was intended to do and follow the spirit of the law. For example the woman taken in adultry (according to the law she and the one she was with were to be stoned)but Christ fulfilled the law by appealing to those who were there as witnesses challenging them that only the righteous could throw stones and he was not going to. The letter of the law leads to false pride while the spirit of the law is that none of us are in a position to proclaim it in righteousness but we can all leave judgment to God and proclaim his grace through his death, burial and resurection for sinners who (you and I included) have and are breaking the law.

I am not chastising anyone the way you live your life as a believer is up to you but you do not have to be burdened by striving to adhere to something that you cannot do. Aren't we thankful for the eternal soap of God's word John 1:9.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Having graven images but not worshipping them does not make sense. Graven images by definition in the Bible were objects of worship.