1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OT Commentaries

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by TomVols, Nov 22, 2001.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

What is your take on Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament? Have you expositors out there found it helpful? I haven't used it since seminary, so refresh my memory. I'm looking to add a set or two to my library.

2. DocCas

DocCas New Member

I have K&D. It was required reading in Seminary. I use it sometimes, but I also disagree with it sometimes. K&D seem to take a naturalistic approach to most of the miracles in the OT. It seems difficult for them to acknowledge the power of God to work direct miracles of the first order. They often suggest secondary causes for such events. Now, I realize God can, and does, occasionally use secondary causes, but to try to explain every miracle via secondary causes seems to me to be almost rationalistic.

They also dismiss most apparent contradictions as copyist errors rather than looking deeper for an explanation. I think they are too quick to dismiss as copyist errors those things God has put in the OT to cause us to study harder. [​IMG]

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I, too, was required to have K&D in grad work. Bought a set from CBD (old days) for cheap. It looks good on my book shelf, but I seldom use it.

If you can pick up a used set cheap, I would say "go for it". If you are looking at $$, I would have serious reservations. Just isn't used enough to justify the expense.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have not looked at Keil and Delitzsch in twenty years. I never bought it because of the expense, but used it some in the library. I had a pastor who was an Old Testament scholar and seminary professor, who promoted and recommended it highly. But, personally, I never was overly impressed with it. If I could acquire it at a "steal", I might buy it. Otherwise, no.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Okay, what do you expositors think of the WORD Biblical Commentary (Thomas Nelson)? This is OT and NT.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Surely someone has an opinion!