1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OT law

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is no command. The passage is very questionable at best. Even it were a real happening there is no command.
    By the way God has NEVER given any law that cannot be carried out.

2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spoken like a true liberal denying the Word of God. It is just more of the world that you are embracing.
    Then salvation would be accomplished through the Law.

We are not able to administer justice impartially. The influence of our sin and the sin of others make it impossible.

That is why Jesus gave us the standard of "the one who is without sin" as being the one who administers the death penalty.

And yes, we are commanded to have "perfect patience" with the worst of sinners. We are commanded to allow "the one without sin" to be the one who implements the death penalty.

I emplore you, follow the Word of God, not the world.

peace to you:praying:

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I can tell that you do not even understand why man is lost. He is not lost because he does not keep the law. He is lost because he is born a sinner. The god you have is an unjust god. He gives laws that cannot be kept and the saved people or condemns them depending on their response.
    The death penality has never been recended.
    The God of the bible offers salvation to man even though that man is able to obey and does not. All sin is willfull and until one accepts that they are unable to confess sin.

4. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you scripture that shows that Christians should not support the death penalty. You are choosing to ignore those passages of scripture in favor of a worldly view and you have now questioned my salvation by saying...
    The God I have is the Living God. Unlike you, I follow His Word where ever it takes me.

I really don't see any reason to continue this conversation with you.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Like I stated you gave no supporting scripture. You simply twisted existing scripture.

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because you say it, doesn't make it true.

I have engaged the text. I have shown the context. I have supported my argument with God's Word.

You have offerred nothing but your opinion, followed by insults, followed by denying my salvation, followed by denying the plain meaning of the text of scripture.

The I Tim. 1:16 passage is very clear. Jesus Christ showed mercy to Paul as an example of perfect patience specifically for future believers to follow. There is no other plausable interpretation of that passage.

Paul was a murderer. Therefore, Christians are to follow the example of our Lord Jesus Christ and show mercy to the worst of sinners, even murderers like Paul.

It violates the command to show mercy when you support the death penalty.

There is no other way to understand the passage without ignoring the plain meaning of the text.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree that just because I say it does not make it true, What makes it true is scripture, not the twisting of it that you are doing. You tell me what these passages are saying;
    Matt 26:52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Sounds like the death penality to me.

Romans 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to [execute] wrath upon him that doeth evil.
    Again sounds like the death penality to me. The sword is not used to spank someone. It was used to take a life.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

never mind. Ya'll keep fighting.

9. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like Jesus telling Peter to put his sword away. The Kingdom of Heaven will not come by force of arms. That is what Jesus is saying.
    The Romans 13 passage is a warning to Christian not to rebel against the Roman government, probably because of taxes. "The sword" is an image of authority, which is exactly what Paul is saying in context. The cross was the image of execution for rebellion.

No where are Christians told to support the death penalty. In fact, the death penalty was being used against them (at times). The 1st Century Christians had no power or authority to execute anyone.

I have answered your questions and addressed the passages of scripture you believe support your position.

Now, you engage I Tim. 1:16 and tell me how supporting the death penalty is not contrary to the specific command to demonstrate perfect patience by showing mercy to the worst of sinners, just as Jesus Christ had mercy on the murderer Paul.

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The passage in 1Tim is not about breaking judical laws. Paul was not a wanted man for such. If he had been he would have been executed. The death penality is called for by God under the direction of any government and it was never changed. It came into effect before the law and is still in effect.

#50 freeatlast, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  11. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I welcome your respectful critique of my position on this or any other issue. Show me how I am wrong from scripture, and I will take an honest look. I can be convinced by God's Word.

#51 canadyjd, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether a government recognizes a violation of God's Laws or not, whether the man is "wanted" or not, does not change the fact that the Law has been violated. Without question, Paul was guilty of shedding innocent blood.

The passage in I Tim. is about the attitudes that Christians should have toward the worst of sinners, even murderers like Paul.

The passage is clear. Jesus Christ gave us, as Christians, an example to follow. That example is to demonstrate perfect patience by showing mercy to the worst of sinners.

If you support putting someone to death, that violates the command of our Lord to show mercy with perfect patience.
    God can and will use ungodly governments/ungodly people to accomplish His purpose. Let the ungodly support the death penalty. Christians are commanded to have a different attitude than the world.

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

God gave the death penality and we are to obey that. God never took it away.

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The passages you used to support your position shows governments implementing the death penalty, not Christians.

We, as Christians, are to obey the specific command given to us in I Tim. 1:16, which is to demonstrate mercy by having perfect patience with the worst of sinners.

You have yet to explain how supporting the death penalty is not contrary to this command. You cannot, because it is contrary to our Lord's command.

15. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therefore we are free to support the death penalty (or not) in an election or referendum since we participate in the creation of the law of our government.

In the case of voting for pro-death penalty representatives we are electing

"the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil"

HankD

16. moral necessity

Site Supporter

To "bear the sword" is a figure of speech in the Greek, meaning that the person is in a position of power and authority. The word "sword" is not to be taken literally, as if it is the instrument that he wields. That would be like saying "Johnny stole home" and thinking that he robbed a house.

See page 604 of the book Figures of Speech Used in the Bible, by E.W. Bullinger, found here http://www.christianbook.com/figures-speech-used-in-the-bible/e-w-bullinger/9780801005596/pd/05590

Blessings!

#56 moral necessity, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  17. sag38

sag38 Active Member

A sword is a sword and it is used for one purpose. It is not a figure of speech. Pacifists need need to beat a sword into a plow share in order to fit thier false theology.

18. moral necessity

Site Supporter

Look this verse up in the Greek language yourself. My comment was with regard to basic Greek grammar, not with the sides of this debate. Other verses might support you, but this verse cannot be used as a prooftext for your point, just like Luke 13:32 cannot prove that Herod was a real fox. Elementary Greek grammar was all that I was referring to.

Blessings!

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have some swamp land you might be interested in! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

20. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The homosexual community uses the same Greek twisting tactic to force the scripture to fit their false theology as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.