1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Other Christian Denominations Appretiation Thread!!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Aug 29, 2006.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Just wanted to say how I appreciatte all of you!!!!

This is a awesome board!!!! Praise God for it!!!! :wavey: :wavey: :thumbs:

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Ditto! This board keeps you on your toes... unless they are being stepped on! :smilewinkgrin:

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Hi Tali,
    I see from all your questions that you're nearly as inquisitive as me. :wavey:

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Personally, I would also like to see a Spell-Check appreciation thread. For I know I would appreciate it if many more used it. :rolleyes:

Ed

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

You can thank the public education system for the woeful spelling in this generation. Or chalk it up to plan laziness.

As for myself, I have a handy dictionary nearby and will use it if I am stumped. Though I admit I do get lazy SOMETIMES.

6. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

The moderators do a good job on this site as well!!

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So which is your excuse? :D

8. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Or both. I got a real shocker in college when I was preparing to be a high school teacher. On some writing assignment about assessment of something, I made a remark that after the content was checked over, we should `of course' ensure that spelling was proper, etc.. I took it for granted that the professor would wonder if I failed to mention that. Instead, she wrote on my paper "Why?"

The new liberal education nonsense is that the content of a writing assignment is most important, and that having students pay `undue' attention to spelling is too much of a distraction in most cases. My high school expected us to spell properly, my elementary school expected us to spell properly, and my college expected us to spell properly -- in fact, misspellings on papers in that education class were subject to grade markdowns.

A 2004 National Blue Ribbon School near where I live insists that student misspellings be corrected every time a student writes anything for a grade. Even if the child's spelling is not specifically graded and misspellings do not take away from the grade, the teacher either writes the correct spelling above or guides the child into respelling it properly.

If things keep going as they are, our language will be illegible in written form. Those of us who can read will not be as certain as to what the younger writer really meant when spelling becomes discretionary. Even worse, the emphasis is on whole language learning now; students in many elementary schools are not taught to "sound out" words. The child must be able to recognize a word based upon seeing it before. What do you think is going to happen when everyone has their own spelling for everything?

In mathematics, the emphasis of the liberal education establishment is a good `conceptual basis.' I now teach mathematics in a community college with a large nursing program. Nature does not care about a `good conceptual basis' if a nurse messes up a dosage calculation -- "messes up" as we all once meant it: get the wrong result. We have technical education programs, and the ability to be `technically correct' is important in that discipline.

In student behavior, the liberal education establishment encourages allowing adolescents to freely determine their own values and moral paths. Individual student rights to disrupt entire classes are highly respected. Administrators often do not want to aggressively support teachers who want to enforce environments conducive to learning -- but are very aggressive in finding reasons to pander to the disruptive student.

It is easier to not make a fuss about spelling. It is easier to just let the students goof around in class. It is also easier to do a lot of the `innovative teaching methods' that former educators push, that the NEA pushes, and which oddly enough do not have teachers actually teaching. What is sad is that in some cases, school teachers who actually want to do their jobs right get bullied, intimidated, and discredited for using `obsolete' methods.

The results get passed on to me, and I become the instructor who gets them to understand mathematics for the very first time. I love that. However, I hate to see what the liberal education establishment is doing to our schools, adolescents, and conscientious teachers. Off my soapbox I go.

#8 Darron Steele, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  9. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

wy? :confused::confused:

10. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wy noot?????

11. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I dont knov

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I MEANT to do that!!!:tongue3:

Plan laziness. that is; they PLAN to be lazy.

How's that for dancing???:confused: :rolleyes: :laugh:

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

?????????????????????????????

14. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have to agree - this is a great board!

15. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

From outside the Baptist churches, this Christian would like to thank the site administrators for this area of the board.

I know that we have been thanked for `keeping everyone on their toes.'

From my perspective, my denomination -- Churches of Christ -- has burned a lot of bridges with the rest of the Lord's church. An increasing number of us are disappointed that what was originally a unity movement in order to cooperatively serve the Lord has gone so way wrong, and more and more of us want to do something about it. Discussion boards like this enable people like me to try to practice some bridge rebuilding skills in case such opportunities come along in more interpersonal settings.

Baptists who participate in this area of the board make this possible. For that, I thank you.

#15 Darron Steele, Aug 30, 2006
  16. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

I am extremely grateful for this board as well. I thank the moderators for their spirit of toleration, and for the privilege of interacting with them and others. Truth is found in a multitude of counselors.

As for the spelling issue, please forgive my gross ineptness. I either failed to pay close attention in school, and or the education process was partially at fault as well. Phonics were not heard of when I grew up.

I do see a need to try our very best to spell correctly, and that will also help us to speak correctly. So many words are mispronounced, hence a motivation to misspell. It is also true that so many words are misspelled, hence motivation to mispronounce. I honestly try and use spell checker, but even that does not make up entirely for my lack of expertise in spelling and English. It is also hard to proof read your own writing at times.

I trust that through this poor vessel in English and spelling, somehow a glimmer of truth might pass through all the distractions and encumbrances to the intelligent and well schooled.

My hearty thanks to all involved to make this board possible!

17. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

"Beecauz Aye sedd so!", as my fatHier uzEd to saaY.
    Inn a zeRRuieus noote, so aye ande eivriEboddy ellse Cannes reede what is sed, ande unndur stande it bettur. :rolleyes:

Ed

P.S. Seriously, with Spell-check available, not to mention it exists already on most computers, there is no reason for so many misspellings. Occasionally? Yes!! Every line?? No reason except planed laziness.

This post was poof-read by my alter-ego, Language Cop. He says that he cannot even decipher the post, but that there are no misspellings or grammatical errors in the post script (P.S. for those in Palm Beach, Miami-Dade and Broward Counties, Flori...).

#17 EdSutton, Aug 30, 2006
  18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Pilgrim, If my only gripes about spelling, grammar, and language were centered you, I'd be more lonely than the Maytag ©® Repair Man © ®. :D

Ed

#18 EdSutton, Aug 30, 2006
  19. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: It is kind remarks like these that will “CAUSE” me to try harder.:thumbs:

20. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I appreciate the moderators, as well. They willingly do a job I wouldn't have. Thanks boys and girls. BTW, I think your pay for doing your job should be increased "fourfold". Let me do a small bit of ciphering. Let's see now, four times nothing equals nothi...

Ed