1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Other IFB college academic credentials

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Siegfried, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Chick or anyone else with inside info:

How do the other IFB college academic credentials stack up on issues like accreditation, % of earned Ph.D's, diversity of degrees, etc. I'm interested in Faith of Ankeny, Pilly, Northland, etc. Throw Cedarville and BBC Clarks Summit in there just for fun, along with any others someone else may know more about.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Isn't Cedarville GARB, not IFB?

3. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

Does the GARB still have an approval system? It seems like they did away with that, or at least altered the system.

You're right that they at least used to be affiliated, and so were Faith and BBC, I think.

[ February 06, 2002: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

4. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

bump

Dr. Bob,

Didn't you teach at Pillsbury?

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomVols:
    Isn't Cedarville GARB, not IFB?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes but the GARB churchs would think of themselves as being IFB. And they are to a greater extent than a SBC church.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't know that John Piper for instance would agree with that (Bethlehem Baptist in Minneapolis, GARBC) :cool:

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    GARBC used to "endorse" colleges as recommended for their affiliated churches. They stopped that a few years back, before a big fight to DROP two or three schools came to a head.

Cornerstone (used to be Grand Rapids Baptist Bible College) is so new evangelical that it was to face the axe. Sadly, BBC in Clarks Summit and Cedarville are heading the same way, although still good schools today.

So rather than upset the whole applecart and have folks leave, the GARBC just dropped the whole enchilada.

BTW, GARBC is a loose association of INDEPENDENT FUNDAMENTAL BAPTIST churches, so all GARBC would = IFB.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Siegfried:
    Dr. Bob, Didn't you teach at Pillsbury?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep. You caught me. Taught 1996-2000 in education, pastoral and philosophy.

North Central Accrediting (secular) and State of Minnesota require two profs with accredited Master's degrees in a field for a college to offer a "major" in that field. There is NO requirement for Ph.D., etc.

Pillsbury had to obviously abide by this. If it were to offer M.A. program, it would require 2 profs with Th.D. or Ph.D. in that field. (They don't).

Pillsbury is a small college, just recovering from its drift toward new evangelicalism. I was pleased that I was asked to help in that recovery. I went to teach a 6-week block program and stayed 4 years, commuting back and forth from Wyoming to Minnesota (contributing to my ill health).

They do have folks with earned doctorates from NON-accredited schools (Central Seminary, Bob Jones) which enhance a strong undergraduate program.

9. Siegfried

Siegfried Member

I don't know that John Piper for instance would agree with that (Bethlehem Baptist in Minneapolis, GARBC) :cool:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bethlehem isn't GARBC. It's affiliated with the Baptist General Conference and the Minnesota Baptist Conference.

Bethlehem's web site

10. Chick Daniels

Chick Daniels Member

One of the difficulties in simply looking at an IFB college catalog for faculty credentials is that often faculty have advanced degrees from accredited institutions, but they are teaching in a different field (M.A. in Environmental Science, but teaching Bible). Better catalogs show the field(s) in which faculty are teaching in addition to field of their degree. When they don't, I am always suspicious.

As to accreditation, Faith BBC and BBC-Clark Summit, PA are both regionally accredited, and Northland scorns accreditation (probably because they have no hope of attaining it).

Chick

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Sigfried,
    My mistake. Maybe I got confused because I believe Piper has preached in chapel there. So have a number of great Baptists outside GARB.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I've thrown this out before on other topics, and I want to do it again. Dr. Bob mentioned: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>North Central Accrediting (secular) and State of Minnesota require two profs with accredited Master's degrees in a field for a college to offer a "major" in that field. There is NO requirement for Ph.D., etc.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So why does this make a regionally accredited school automatically better than a non-accredited school with a lot of Ph.Ds from accredited, reputable institutions? I think Trinity Theological Seminary falls under that category. They have a lot of terminally educated (That sounds scary, doesn't it). Trinity has "accreditation" through the University of Liverpool and some non-CHEA authority stateside, but putting that aside, I believe it's a fallacy to assume that an accredited school is good and a non-accredited school is bad.

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I believe it's a fallacy to assume that an accredited school is good and a non-accredited school is bad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, I agree with you here. Accreditation means that a school's curriculum and faculty has been examined and found in line with what other schools accept. It is largely peer review I think. But with you, I think we must understand that it is a fallacy to assume a non-accredited school is bad or that it cannot meet accreditation requirements. It may well be bad or substandard; non-accreditation does not prove that however.