Other Planets & NASA

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Nov 17, 2006.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando
    Expand Collapse

I was watching the national geographic channel and saw that NASA has found other galaxies, moons, planets ext... millions of light years away. I know the Bible talks about how planets were created but does it mention those planet that NASA found.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G
    Expand Collapse

Yes. God created everything. Just because it hasn't been discovered yet by humans doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Just imagine what's at the lower depths of the ocean that man can't get to? There is so much we don't know yet. :)
    The Bible isn't specific on individual planets, just that God created them all.

3. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando
    Expand Collapse

Yeah!! God is so awesome... I wonder what those planets, moon, or stars are for?

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O.
    Expand Collapse

Revelation 4:11 - "Thou art worthy, Oh Lord, to receive glory and honor and power. For thou hast created all things and for Thy pleasure were they created."

That is for God's benefit.

For our benefit is found in Genesis 1:14. "And God said, 'Let there be light in the firmament of the heavens to divided the night from day and to be signs to mark the seasons and the days and the years."

All of the beauty and constistancy of space serves for us to keep our time straight, especially early people who had no time devices such as watches,.....

#4 Scarlett O., Nov 17, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz
    Expand Collapse

Last I saw these 'planets' are hypotheticals that have not been verified by direct observation. They suspect the planets exist because of regular disruptions in light and a few other indirect measurements. So, I won't believe it until I see it.

That said, as far as the bible is concerned they are meaningless, outside of the aforementioned God creating bit. Key thing with the Bible is to remember it is not a complete source for knowledge only a complete source pertaining to the knowledge of Salvation.

6. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

In Heb 1 the Bible says that through Christ God make "The WORLDS" -- and I believe it.

In Christ,

Bob

7. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond
    Expand Collapse

IMO, that would imply an order to the universe. That makes it a little hard to believe that it was anything other than Divine Creation, how about you?

Regards to you,
    BiR

8. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn
    Expand Collapse

Ja, ja!

What did God created it all FOR? That's the BIG question? For His own pleasure, said a poster (can't recall who). God delight Himself, has great pleasure, in the SON. So God created all and everything - also 'out there' - for Jesus' sake.
    What would you say?

9. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn
    Expand Collapse

Scarlet O:
    ""And God said, 'Let there be light in the firmament of the heavens to divided the night from day and to be signs to mark the seasons and the days and the years."

All of the beauty and constistancy of space serves for us to keep our time straight, especially early people who had no time devices such as watches,....."

GE:
    Do you think it might also apply to God's 'times'? Said Karl Barth, that God made 'our' time, His time! In Jesus Christ of course, that was. God created everything to amrk the seasons and the days and the years of His course with man in the plan of redemption. The Sabbath was the first such sign. A later example came in the prophecy of the seventy times seven years-period that led to Messiah.
    Only suggesting ...

10. Radidio

Radidio
    Expand Collapse

GE are you talking about the 70 weeks that the angel prophesized in Daniel? Hope I have my facts straight. Too early in the morning for clear thinking. Anyway it would be an interesting discussion to look at the discrepensies of the way the Bible expresses time in the old and new testament. Literal years for people, days as a thousand years, weeks as 7 years, etc.

11. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond
    Expand Collapse

I am looking forward to the day when I can ask Him......

Hope all is well with you and yours,
    BiR

12. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

God claims He made them. God claims that by Christ were the "Worlds made" and God is the Creator.

Seems like simply "Believing God" leads us to the conclusion that the WORLDS were MADE by Him - I agree with you.

In Christ,

Bob

13. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

All true. But God has already shown that He is no satisfied to simply "create a collection of shiny rocks" on this planet - He excells at "creating LIFE"!

In Dan 7 we see "myriads and myriads" in attendance at the judgment seat.

In Job 1 we see Satan coming before the council of God where all the sons of God are gathered and he comes "from the earth". (2 Cor 4 calls Satan the god of this world) -- The question is - where do the others come from?

Recall that the Gospels calls Adam the son of God speaking of the fact that God is the parent that directly created Adam - not saying that Adam was ontologically "god".

In Christ,

Bob

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn
    Expand Collapse

In other words, if I may say, you say there are other intelligent worlds of biological life as we know it?
    My humble opinion? No.
    We have here in SA a great learned professor, Dr Louw Alberts - who is a devout believer in Jesus Christ. He played a significant role in the discovery of black holes and the 'big bang' - things I have not the faintest clue of. He has said what I have dared to say after him, but on strength of my own conviction, I don't believe.
    This planet of ours, I believe, is the centre of all God's creation - of the whole universe - because it is here upon it, that God establishes His eternal throne of rule and glory through and in, and with, Jesus Christ.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn
    Expand Collapse

BR:
    "In Job 1 we see Satan coming before the council of God where all the sons of God are gathered and he comes "from the earth". (2 Cor 4 calls Satan the god of this world) -- The question is - where do the others come from?"

GE:
    Also from the earth; there was this contention over the earth; it was of no concern as far as other 'worlds' were concerned. Maybe Enoch and Moses were also representing 'earth' - we are not told; we do not know; we should not be concerned.

16. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

Welcome back to the dark ages.

A FUTURE event may CHANGE Earth's place in the universe "I saw a NEW HEAVENS and a NEW EARTH" - but that little detail MUST ACTUALLY HAPPEN before such wild claims as you have made have substance.

17. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

And so - we differ

18. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn
    Expand Collapse

I'll correct my statement a little, and change the time of the verb, to emphasise the great detail of the actualisation of the New Earth and New Heavens John had in mind, and say, that God had already ESTABLISHED that new Earth and New Heaven in Christ on this earth the centre of God's interest in all His works, through His Church, the Church of the Elect and true believers.

You Seventh Day Adventists, you must always contaminate the peace of brothers in Christ living and talking to each other peacefully - you with your 'full light' and 'full truth' and all!

19. Claudia_T

Claudia_T
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Gerhard,

To me you seem pretty immature. Every chance you get you try to turn things into an opportunity to make degrading statements against the Seventh Day Adventists instead of just providing Bible proof for your beliefs.

I noticed that right away just glancing through some of the stuff that you say. I guess you are hoping people will just automatically think badly about us, because you know they wont read everything that was written, just your disparaging remarks. You need to learn to fight fairly.

well actually I guess you dont HAVE TO, you could just go on as you were...

20. BobRyan

BobRyan
    Expand Collapse

Jumbling up timelines - ignoring Bible details "making stuff up" as you do with your new invention of "New earth ALREADY created 2000 years ago" idea above - does nothing to support your argument GE.

I have never doubted your capacity to "make stuff up" -- so "making more stuff up" to defend a failed point - does nothing to support it.

This is really a simple concept - I know you get it. Why do you pretend not to notice the elephant in your living room?

So back to reality. The earth is NOT the center of the universe AND God did say in Heb 1 that through Christ "He made the Worlds".

Try just "believing the text" instead of continually making up your own text as an alternative to what we read in scripture.

In Christ,

Bob