1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Our "Fair Share"

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Darrell C, Jan 23, 2017.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mostly mean the kinds of exemptions that can easily be prone to fraud. An exemption that's better crafted wouldn't bother me.

2. Darrell C

Darrell C Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, first time I heard that. That is actually encouraging, though I am disappointed with his recent decision to enforce the executive order of Obama in regards to homosexuals in the workplace. That is his first big flub in regards to the Christian Community.

As far as his statement concerning taxes, I agree. We are commanded to render unto Caesar that which is owed, and I personally do not want to give one cent more than I have to. It costs me the taxes as well as having to pay for Accounting (which I do to make sure there are no mistakes).

God bless.

3. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is actually a good example. The only religion this fellow has is one of self interest.

I actually think we should all pay our fair share, lol, and I am glad to pay my taxes, because some of that money goes to things I think make us a stronger Nation (i.e., police, fire, EMS, National Defense, etc.). I like having roads to drive on, and someone there to clear roads when it snows.

I guess the balance is that this fellow, at the least, is not milking the system. But it is still hypocritical to demand Trump pay his fair share when he is fraudulently filing on his own returns.

God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the real reason he is being audited is that he is extremely wealthy with complex business holdings.

The IRS can't audit everyone (that would break the bank big time in terms of resources, especially when targeting low to moderate income filers), so it has to prioritize. It's most likely going recover unpaid taxes from the highest earners, and the more complex the return, the more likely an error has been made. Auditing Trump and others like him makes sense from an administrative standpoint because it's likely to gain the most bang for your administrative buck.

5. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also point out, as I did during these conversations, that some of these exemptions are good for the economy as well as for the Nation as a whole. One thing Obama did that I approved of was to give tax credit for people who upgraded their systems to high efficiency. They are doing that anyway (forcing people to purchase higher priced equipment (HVAC)), so this took a little bit of the sting out of it. How they force people is a little too close to strong-arming, in my view, because certain repairs demand purchase of new system because the repairs simply cannot be made. For example, if one's outdoor unit goes out, there is no viable replacement unit, because the mandate for 13 (then 14) SEER stopped production for units that would be suitable matches. With the tax credit, as well as rebate incentives offered by the manufacturer's, we were able to put in 20 SEER for about the same as we could the standard, which doesn't negate that they are still forced to either replace or go without (which many that are poor who simply cannot afford replacement due to massive increase in cost in the 5-8 years), but, did give people an option to get a superior system when forced to replace.

God bless.

6. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If he didn't he would be in prison. A lot of investors have gone to prison and have been a favorite target for publicity seeking officials.

God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh absolutely. Tax credits and deductions are wonderful tools to stimulate the economy.

In fact, I generally prefer them to shifts in the tax rates, namely because tax rate reductions free up some money, but they don't give it any direction. That's fine if we don't have a particular focus, but if we want to achieve something targeted, a credit (or a deduction to a lesser extent) is a great way to make that happen.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was kind of funny but these fellows were arguing the opposite: because "the rich get away with everything," lol.

The IRS is a business like as any other, so while there was a statement several years ago that they were going to start looking at the "little guy" again, I would agree with you, they are going after pies that have more filling.

We have also seen a targeting of certain groups in the recent past by the IRS which I have no doubt has political motivation. As I said, I was surprised to learn Trump actually claims to be a "strong Christian," so it makes me wonder if he has been vocal at some point which drew the attention of the IRS. Bottom line, I would think, would be the matter of him being a great prospect for the IRS, but I wouldn't discount motives that were political as well.

God bless.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably.

HankD

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was audited in 1972 with a $7000 income. A complete waste of time. Theirs and mine.

No findings. No taxes due. The audit took 15 minutes, or less.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To give you a more detailed answer:

He probably doesn't want every single line of his tax return sifted, parsed and analyzed by liberal progressive DNC lawyers and then published in the liberal marxist press along with the labels racist, homophobe, xenophobe, etc, etc...ad naseum.

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    lol, when I was audited I received a check for $92.00 due to an over payment. We went out to dinner. :)

HankD

• Like Like x 1
  13. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Knock yourself out.

14. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I understand they stopped looking at small returns but as I said at one point they said they were going to be doing that again. I agree, a waste of time, and they lost money on it.

God bless.

15. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone else already presented a source. As I said, first I heard of it, and a little surprised. Could be possible he has been saved which would account for some of the things he is doing.

God bless.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's as much of a Christian as any other Presbyterian.

• Like Like x 1
  17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to a June 21, 2016 interview with Dr. James Dobson, Trump recently became a Christian and he is a "baby Christian".

http://www.godfactor.com/blog/exclu...obson-did-donald-trump-recently-accept-christ

Listen to the audio, "Exclusive: Did Donald Trump Accept Christ?", the link is just below the picture of Dr. Dobson.

The YouTube video I posted is from an interview after a GOP debate held on February 25, 2016. This is when Trump says, "he's a strong Christian".

I think anyone can see there is a discrepancy here between "strong Christian" in February and a "baby Christian" who had recently "accepted Christ" in June.

18. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

What do you expect from a babe, lol.

I will just sit back and watch what happens. There is potential for this Presidency to go either way, and I would encourage all to pray for him.

God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Darrell C

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That might explain him reordering Obama's executive order concerning homosexuals in the workplace.

Just kidding.

personally, I think he may have done that as a strategic maneuver. He knows if he removes it he is going to alienate homosexuals, and perhaps he is, for the time, trying to do things which might curb some of the animosity in this nation. Animosity stirred up primarily by the Liberal Agenda.

I was disappointed to hear he had done that. The Government does not have the authority to override the beliefs of employers and force them to do things that contradicts their religious principles.

God bless.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think it's because the order was useless in the first place. It was unneeded. Obama only issued it to ingratiate himself to his favorite, and loudest, fringe group. I don't think Trump cares that much about the issue, one way or the other.

• Like Like x 1