1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Our President quotes the bible...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Deacon, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obama quotes nonexistent Bible verse in immigration speech [LINK]

While there are plenty of Bible verses to mention while discussing immigration, President Obama on Tuesday quoted one which isn't so great, mainly because it's not real. "The good book says don't throw stones at glass houses, or make sure we're looking at the log in our eye before we are pointing out the moat in other folks eyes," Obama said during a speech in Nashville. One problem, though: The Bible never mentions glass houses.

In addition to his biblical misquote, Obama also tied his immigration policy to the Christmas story, saying, "If we're serious about the Christmas season, now is the time to reflect on those who are strangers in our midst and remember what it was like to be a stranger." This analogy drew conservative ire as opponents of the president's immigration reform noted that Mary and Joseph were actually visiting Joseph's ancestral home. --Bonnie Kristian

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw this and chuckled. Speaking of things that aren't in the Bible, I suppose that glass house we're not supposed to throw stones at will automatically open a window when God closes the door on it.

The lesson is that people should stick to their area of expertise and not try to go outside of it and sound like experts. I'm thinking of preachers that like to lecture about science, particularly evolution, but there are other areas of science they should never touch as well.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no doubt that Obama is more familiar with the quran than he is with the Bible.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill Clinton was no slouch when it came to misquoting the Bible:

"Eye has not seen and ear has not heard what we can build."

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This should be the life lesson of the day. I used to squirm whenever Neal Boortz would start talking about religion of any sort. He may know a lot of stuff from a Libertarian POV. But when it comes to the things of God, he should always keep his mouth closed.

I'm just not too bothered by Obama's faux pas. At least he isn't telling folks that Christians and Muslims worship the same god.

#5 Zaac, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Huh?

Southern Baptist Ethicist Russell Moore:

http://www.russellmoore.com/2011/06/17/immigration-and-the-gospel/

"And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh. And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way. And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him. When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt: And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son."

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At his first inauguration when he took the oath, Hillary held the Bible, opened to Gal. 6:8, "For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption..."

Quite prophetic.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder which speech writer came up with that?