1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Our Undergirding

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Van, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just was saying that just because james strong wa s a calvinist does not mean that he 'colored" any of his books to intentionally reflect that!

That is whyI mentioned those other 2, as examples of ones who produced scholarly works, despite some of their theology being 'less than ideal!"

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Definitions are not given in isolation but in context. We are speaking primarily about faith in relation to the unsaved. Faith in that context is never a gift. God does not give spiritual gifts to the unsaved. A person that comes up with that definition is wrong, no matter who he is. The Bible is our authority.
    The article that Saturn quoted came from was from Dr. Leon Combs.
    His bio said he was Reformed. Instead of writing from a Biblical point of view he wrote from a Reformed point of view. The default is not Reformed. The default is the Bible. It is our final authority in all matters of faith and practice.

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Folks, it is important to remember that a person CAN write from a reformed view and it be Biblical.

The Reformed hold the Bible as their final authority, too.

DHK is right when stating "The default is not Reformed. The default is the Bible."

It should be the most resounding alarm when one exalts a view above Scriptures - which is what cult leader's do do. (David Koresh, Jim Jones for example of recent extreme ones)

"Close your Bibles and look up here at me. What I am going to preach to you is important and I want you to listen to what I am saying" (Example, any sermon by Jack Hyles)

Compare that to the typical reformed pastor who shows consistency, purity, reliability, and veracity of the Scriptures by actually using Scriptures through out their sermons; in effect saying, "Look at the Scriptures and let them speak to your own heart and live them out in practical daily exercise." (Example, any sermon by Charles Spurgeon.)

Oops, I closed the post without finishing it.

I was going on to say:

Compare that to any non-reformed who consistently points the assembly to the Scriptures as valid in faith and practice in all areas of living - just as the reformed do do. (Example, John R. Rice, Adrian Rogers (both now deceased))

#83 agedman, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK, the calvinists such as Spurgeon, Hodgh, berhof, Horten, Sproul etc would ALL agree with you that the Bible ONLY is to be our final authority!

Would say also that this entire discussion on faith will not be finally resolved until Jesus returns, or we all die, and than we will see that e ALL saw things as thru a glass dimly/darkly!

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think error we ALL make is assuming that ONLY our side has ben gifted with good preacher/teachers/theologians...

Truth is that God has given gifted in all these areas to various camps in Chrsitiandom, we just have to learn to strain out that which is of man, that which is of God!

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yet we go back to the subject at hand, a very important one.
    The Calvinist does not use the Bible on this subject because he can't.
    There is no Scripture that backs up his premise that God gives faith to the unsaved person and yet that is one of the most important premises of "his faith."
    I can give you plenty of Scripture, dozens of Scripture, where the Bible teaches one must believe with his own faith. That truth cannot be refuted.
    God does not give spiritual gifts or the gift of the spirit, which faith is, to the unsaved. Now refute me, using Scripture, and show me where I am wrong.
    Or accept that the Calvinist position is a default position but not a Scriptural position.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van you must have missed this post of mine.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above reminder was posted 8 days ago. I was trying remind Van to give credit for the source he used without acknowlegement. It has been 10 days since he posted #65. I wonder why he's hiding?

9. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

It took me about 15 seconds to track the source of the "article" down. It's something Van himself wrote on February 23, 2008. Since it was his own writing, don't really see why he needs to provide a citation to something he wrote himself and why you are so hung up on him providing a link.

10. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

[​IMG]

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sincerely dout your veracity with that absurd claim following your other prevarications.

I looked up key words for his posts,most of which do not even go back to that year:Spurgeon,Gift of Faith,Dispute,Uncaused Cause....nothing. Hmm...15 seconds,yeah right.

12. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

Obviously you think I'm stupid enough to post the link so you can complain to the mods that I am violating BB rules by posting links to other forums. If it took me 15 seconds then I'm pretty sure you could have found it just as easily. All I did was search for the very first line of the post, and it showed up word for word in its entirety.

Nice try, and a pretty underhanded DEVILISH and deceitful tactic at that.

Anyone that wants the link to show that Rippon is a liar PM me and I'll give you the link where Van posted this 5 YEARS AGO to show that the quote that Rippon is begging Van to post is Van's own writing.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well,that would not be in violation of BB rules at all. Other things you have posted certainly are,but not if you simply posted a link.

I looked up the title of his post :"The Gift of Faith" and all I could go back to was 3/9/2011. His first sentence contains 38 words. I looked up the first several and came up empty. So please provide a link.

Nice try, and a pretty underhanded DEVILISH and deceitful tactic at that.

Anyone that wants the link to show that Rippon is a liar PM me and I'll give you the link where Van posted this 5 YEARS AGO to show that the quote that Rippon is begging Van to post is Van's own writing.[/QUOTE]

14. DrJamesAch

DrJamesAch New Member

[/QUOTE]

[Link Removed]

Now eat your words
    :wavey:

#94 DrJamesAch, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I looked at the archives of the BB for his article. You had not indicated that his post was on another forum altogther. I think you will have to remove your link unless the mods don't mind.

I still am not convinced that he wrote it himself.

16. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Van..

you are doing wonderfully. Just remember...

If a bunch of calvinists are giving you a hard time..it means you are in the right, and they are probably a bit *bothered* (as in convcition).

And that is a GOOD thing. :thumbs:

17. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Van has a follower...nice....kindred spirits

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Iconoclast...

You are very confused.

I am no "follower" of brother Van. I am a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I simply offered a brother some encouragment

The scriptures speak of such.

#98 Alive in Christ, Jul 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why do you seek to disbelieve what he and His Apostles taught us to believe?

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's correct;but a lie is. You said that faith is not a gift from God. I indded called that shameful on your part.

The Lord is the Author of Faith. He gives it to whomever He chooses --just like repentance.

To deny either is ultra-shameful.