1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Outside the Camp certainly limits the atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by AresMan, May 18, 2006.

1. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the brethren of Outside The Camp are to be believed, only the smallest microscopic portion of all humanity are the elect of God: His privileged handful who have been imputed the grace of the Gospel of Christ. According to the folks at Outside the Camp:
    1. if you are not a 5-point Calvinist, you are not regenerate
    2. if you are a 5-point Calvinist, and you "speak peace" to anyone who is not a 5-point Calvinist, you are not regenerate.

Let's see, if what they believe is true, I have not knowingly met a single regenerate person in my life, nor am I regenerate, and I can assume the vast majority of those who post on this website are also not regenerate.

According to Outside the Camp, A. W. Pink was not regenerate because he made the mistake of saying that some understanding about God's sovereignty is a characteristic of mature believers (and not believers period).
    According to Outside the Camp, Still Waters Revival Books teach false religion because they make the mistake of endorsing literature written by "tolerant Calvinists" that acknowledge non-Calvinists as part of the "visible church" of Christ.
    According to Outside the Camp, John Calvin himself was not regenerate because he said some things that could be read as support for "universal atonement."

Don't you think that it's kind of ridiculous to determine one's standing before God based upon the meticulous parsing of a few sentences penned at some time in the person's life? If Outside the Camp are to be believed, the elect are a frighteningly minute portion of humanity indeed.

2. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Too Calvinist for Calvin...yikes!

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

They're too sect-y for my shirt.

5. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Brother, I believe that only you and I are the elect--but I've been worried about you lately!" [​IMG] :rolleyes:

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I do not know any non-Calvinist Baptists who would ever call themselves Arminian. A large number of my pastors and former pastors are/were non-Calvinist. But I never heard any of them point the way to salvation other than through repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Without exception their exhortation was to place their complete trust in Jesus and His finished work. I have heard the same message in churches of other denominations, whom we might call Arminian-oriented.

The philosophical underpinning of the soteriology of my non-Calvinist pastors may be different from mine, but the message they preach is biblically sound. I can not only tolerate them, I can also fellowship with them, and serve under their leadership.

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

The Outside the Camp people are nuts; obviously they are drawing the circle of fellowship so tightly that they have to stand on one foot while they do it.

8. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Plain wrong and cultish. They should be ignored.

9. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are not to be believed. The Apostle John was shown the elect are a great multitude which no man can number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and languages.

10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - OTC and Fred Phelps - they're both calvinists. Dang it! (sorry for the cursing, it slipped out)

Every family's got at least one.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    J.D. , they are only "Calvinists" by a tenuous extention . The hyper-Calvinists of the 19th century ( not to say there aren't any now ) would not have had much in common with them -- even William Huntington and James Wells . They go WAY beyond the bounds .

12. doulous

doulous New Member

You know a group is a few french fries short of a theological happy meal when you get both both groups in here (Calvinists and Arminians) dissing them. [​IMG]

Seriously, the "outside the camp people" to be avoided at all costs.

13. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was the point of this topic: to show where sensible Christians who are in disagreement about systematic theology still unite against gross error. I have no intention of (or of anyone here) making any snide remarks as "well, this is only the logical conclusion if you believe X."