1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Outside the Church

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jeremiah, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At a Worship conference, we were told about a "neat idea" of having Musicians from outside the church with a particular "style" of music come and perform/worship with our Church.

It was suggested that we look for a Country & Western style service singing our "normal" hymns with a Country Feel.

Thoughts? :confused:

2. superdave

superdave New Member

interesting idea. What was the intended purpose for the change? I find myself asking that question alot when it comes to church practice.

In my church, there is a good base of musically inclined people, and a full time music pastor, so the music program is very well done, and there is a good selection of music, so you are not hearing the same hymns and specials all the time. There is pretty good variety there, no need to bring in a whole lot of outside musicians

I know for special occasions, or banquets they have brought in special music. No country and western though. In Wyoming isn't the only kind of music they have C&W? Here in MI we have some churches that have pretty much been transplanted from Appalachia. There is a very different feel to the old classic hymns when sung with steel guitar and a West Virginia accent, if variety is what you are after!

You could expand that idea too, how about a punk service with slam dancing, or hymn lyrics put to tunes by The Who? I bet plenty of people would love to see Pastor Jeremiah smash a guitar on the communion table!
    ;)

3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who me *blush* smash a guitar? [​IMG]

I am more concened about asking non Christians to come to our church for participation in Worship. It wouldn't be a normal service, but it would be fun musically.

We are getting ready to host a Youth Retreat at our church. The music will be done by a local "Christian" Artist. He is far from "baptist" but is a trusted friend and I know I can allow him to lead/participate in Worship. (He played guitar and wrote songs for "Infinite Green")

I am not as worried about asking "other" Christians, but imagine getting the country Western band from the local bar to come to your church and play for worship ... hey at least they would be in church!

Thoughts?

-- Jeremiah