1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Over population

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Bro. Curtis, Sep 15, 2006.

1. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, and very soon, making the problem moot.

God never rescended His commandment to populate the earth.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

But, God did command us to be good stewards of Earth. We're already running into problems in some areas with waste, and other problems. While there's more area to spread out to, do we want all areas to be so overpopulated? Why does being fruitful require being fruitful to the point of destroying others?

3. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

God provided ample room for human beings to populate. We, because of sin, sometimes decide to make wrong decisions resulting in localized population woes. nearly alll these problems are in areas devoid of Christianities influence. Look at India for example.

My point is that overpopulation is NOT the problem.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Seldovia, population 286 (of which about a third of them are Alutiiq), has problems with waste disposal, and lack of resources. Why? Because of a lack of resources, including fresh water. They are by no means "overpopulated" in the way that most people think. But, to suggest that we can pack people in over there with one person for every two square feet is absurd. It doesn't matter how much or how little sin, barring the return of the Lord, we will have way too many people.

How do you think the Lord will view our lack of good stewardship by destroying all these areas with such massive overpopulation? "I gave you the responsibility of good stewardship, and you did this?"

Perhaps, as Christians, we can do what the pagans do: Have as many kids as possible to subvert the other groups.

Why do you think the Lord wants us to multiply ourselves into oblivian?

BTW, if you assume there are 100,000 inhabitable planets in our galaxy, and we figure out a way to get to them, each and every planet would be that full in about 900 more years after that. Shoule we continue at that rate if the Lord doesn't return?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

First off, no where in Scripture does God say to STOP multiplying. Lack of children are often a judgement on a person or people in the Bible. If God said to multiply, then we are to have children as HE commands. Remember who opens and closes wombs....... Not once ANYWHERE in Scripture does He tell anyone to not have children or to use birth control in any form, so I do not think that NOT having kids is the heart of God.

As for the pagans, they SO do not have as many kids as possible - of anyone, THEY are the ones to NOT have as many children due to the care of the earth issue. "Mother Earth" reigns higher than us and it's care is more important than people. I'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is in an earth worship religion (as pagans are) who feels it's OK to have lots of kids. The majority of large families are some form of "Christianity" or a religion that follows Scripture in some form (I'm saying it this way to include Mormons - although they're not "Christians" in the way we see them, they categorize themselves as such and they DO follow some of Scripture).

Ann

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Neither does he tell us to drive to work or eat hot wings from Domino's. But, he does tell us to be good stewards of our planet.

When he said to "fill the earth", do you think he meant to make it uninhabitable?

BTW, I deal with pagans here on a daily basis that have 12 kids and more. You are correct that Earth-worshippers don't, but that's just a small portion of pagans.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Long before crowding becomes a personal space problem, the horsemen will take care of it for us.

Assuming we don't take care of it ourselves. Even in the time of the prophets, the Israelites didn't breed beyond the capacity of the land to feed them.

But some societies have. And the result has been very unpleasant.

8. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This guy's calculus using a population doubling every 50 years says that there will be one square meter of earth surface per person by 2800.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, can you give me a verse for that?

Genesis 1:28, God says "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth". I don't see any conditions in there at all.

Ann

10. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

11. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

We should make no such assumption

12. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    According to this bbc article, the growth rate stats in 2002 would result in a 50% increase on the population every 50 years, not 100% increase. It also shows the rate of population growth to be declining and at current trends, will fail to replace itself every generation in 50 years.

My guess is that this decline is largely due to China and India reeling in births over the last few decades because of increased industrialization.

13. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Two things - by "reeling in" do you mean like fish or walking dizzily through?

Second, the decline is because of government policy, rather harshly enforced in China.

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Totally irresponsible and bad stewardship being exhibited here. NO ONE knows when he will return. Could be 100,000 years or more away.

Maybe we'll make such a mess that he won't want to come back.

15. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Brilliant post. Congrats!

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Again, Scripture is what we go to for this. It's clear that God told us to be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth. Children are a blessing. Never once does God tell us to prevent, inhibit or manage births, so I'm not going to put those words in His mouth. I think, when God tells us to do something, He can manage to take care of us through that without us second guessing Him.

Isaiah 55:8 says "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD."

Why do we feel we have the right to second-guess God?

Ann

17. ASLANSPAL

ASLANSPAL New Member

Really some cynical posts on this topic

On the positive ,humanity has always had a pioneering trait and we will do things that are written in books and shown on star trek just as we thought Jules Vern type scenarios would be unreachable.

Once the bush culture war on science is finished you will see science start to reach out and examine extra solar planets and the idea of speed of light travel . I think Stephen Hawkings is on to something in the theme for man to survive he and she must reach out in a pioneering spirit again and
    colonize space...and in space God created it and God will always be their
    with those who reach out to colonize it.

10...20....100 years who knows if we can survive fear mongering and war and take on faith and pioneering once more.

18. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Mainly an observation that their birth rates have declined in conjunction with increased industrialization in both countries and an acknowledgement of the problems of managing such huge populations.

Yes.

19. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Why do you assume that he wants us to be mindless and make Earth uninhabitable? I know people who refuse medical treatment because God never told us to see doctors, but he told us to have faith. Just the same as they assume that God will not use doctors to heal us, you are assuming that God doesn't want us to take care of what he's given us.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But the Bible DOES talk of seeing doctors! Matthew 9:12, Mark 2:17, Luke 5:31 (all the same quote). But show me ONE place where God mentions stopping conception or that we are to be careful in procreating. In every instance of the discussion of procreating, it's a blessing. Do some Bible study and tell me what you find.