1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Over the Top

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ps104_33, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Now that we all have been saturated with with the coverage on Obama's controversial preacher the Rev Wright and his "over the top" message topics, I would like to know if your own preacher has ever put his foot in his mouth and said some things in his sermon that you considered over the top and hyper-controversial. If so, did you stay there anyway? Did you leave the church? My Pastor for about ten years when I lived in Pa. would make Rev Wright look like Norman Vincent Peale. Some of his more controversial statements:

"Any woman that wears pants is a transvestite".
    How do you like that one?

"I dont believe that man went to the moon. It was all staged." Big Hollywood production."
    This one almost made me renounce my membership.

I could go on, but for all the dumb things he has said the man had a heart of gold and was the most energetic man I ever saw. Still going at it at 75.

If I ever decided to run for public office (God forbid!) would these old tapes come back to haunt me?
    What kinds of controversial things have you heard from the pulpit over the years could surface later and spoil your chance at becoming President of the United States?

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==My preacher? No. Most of the "edgy" things he says I already agree with so they are not controversial to me or most people in our church. If anyone who is a member has been offended I am not aware of it. He is pushing a boycott of all tv from 4pm to 5pm Monday thru Friday since that is the time of day the heretic Oprah is on. He called her show "filth". Nobody seemed really bothered.

One time when I was at Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, Dr. Falwell did make a comment that caused everyone to cringe (sp?). I don't remember what it was, but he was trying to make a joke and it just came out wrong. I could be very sympathetic since I have the same problem.

==Let me say something about this. I am a well educated person, I don't believe conspiracy theories, nor do I believe in ghosts or ufos. I do believe we went to the moon but I can understand why some people doubt we did. Our technology today is far better than it was then but our shuttles can barely get off the ground. So while I do believe we went to the moon I can understand why some have their doubts.

==Probably, mainly if there are recordings. :laugh:

Personally I would not have to worry about my pastor. If I ran for office I would be my own worst enemy. I am a nice guy but I can't stand ignorant people and I have been known to "make comments" when certain types of people get on my nerves. If any of those comments were to get out, my political career would be DOA. I also have brothers, four to be truthful, and two of them would be political liabilities for a conservative Republican like myself.

Allow me to add that most of us on this board, including my pastor who is not on this board, are conservative Christians. Much we say and preach would be very controversial in the world. I think we are in a time when a true conservative Christian cannot be President. For example if a reporter asked me if I believed that the LORD Jesus was really the "only" way to heaven I would answer "yes". If the reporter followed up by asking if that meant that everyone who does not believe in the LORD Jesus will goto hell I would answer "yes" and that would end my political career.

#2 Martin, Apr 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2008
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the comments you have posted concerning your former pastor, you have failed to prove your statement that he would "make Rev Wright look like Norman Vincent Peale". From what I have seen/heard of Mr. Wright's comments, they are far more objectionable than you want to acknowledge.

peace to you:praying:

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Wright is a racist and holds to liberation theology. His statements were more than foot in mouth statements.

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's really, really lucky to be born, raised, bred and living in the United States of America.

If he really is a liberation theologian I sure would like to see him try to sell his wares in the Philippines and have him find out how long he'd keep his head on his shoulders.

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Whenever I hear Black people complain of life here in the US I am always reminded of Muhammad Ali's statement after his fight with George Foreman in Zaire, Africa. When asked " How did you like Africa"?

He said "Man, I sure am glad my Grandaddy got on that boat".

7. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

All so-called "conspiracy theories" are not false.

How do you think the anti-Christ will come on the scene? They will call the people "conspiracy theorists" and he will take over. They will believe they are educated as well. When the truth is right in front of their faces. They are willfully ignorant.

#7 The Scribe, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2008
  8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Their ignorance willl not be because they don't believe in "conspiracy theories" or because they are well educated. It will be because they do not have the Spirit of Christ in them to see the lies of the devil.

9. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I didn't say that would be the only reason. They too believe they are too well educated to believe in The Bible or anything that seems to stray from the "norm."

It's sad most people think believing in the Bible and God are not normal.

All so-called "conspiracy theories" are not false.

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

1st quote

How would he know ---- beyond a shadow of a doubt???

2nd quote

Suppose I could introduce him to "the Man" at NASA's Houston Control who had charge of THE computer monitor that tracked "The Eagle" as it touched down in Tranquility Bay???

I would have moved my letter after the 1st quote:type: