1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Own a genuine 1611 KJV...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BrianT, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Scott your proof cannot come from scripture if what you call scripture does not agree it is unstable as are the Mv's "sinking sand"

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Steve, refresh if you need to on your profile page. You have 2 that are unread.

3. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Kal el I went there and no pm's HELP!

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Here is one of the PMs:
    ____

When you post your comments about nonKJV translations, using the phrase "cheap imitation" is hostile and completely worthless in debate.

Some people advocate name calling and potshots to steer debates into mindless arguments. I know that is not your intention. However, when such comments are leveled (by either side), discussion ceases and it is reduced to an exercise in futility.

Is it your purpose to engage in discussion or to sneak in, detonate a bomb and get out?

Be advised that this is a polite warning to not belittle what people use. You may say that you believe the translation quality to be bad and the philosophy damaging and then list reasons why. You may say that certain versions completely miss the point of a passage by their work.

I (almost exclusively) use the NKJV. I know you disagree with it and might even think it is trash. I believe it is the very word of God and preach with that kind of backing. I do not question that I do in fact have God's word. I will quit preaching if I ever think God's word is not authoritative.
    ____

As far as the PM you sent me earlier, I have no idea what you are talking about. You will have to send me the link.
    ____

You need to set your profile to receive PMs.

5. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

I don't recall the post where cheap imitation came out of saying anything about MV's. Why do you assume I was not talking about a later edition of the KJV.?

6. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Were you? What were you refering to? [​IMG]

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brian, may I suggest that you continue this discussion in a thread dedicated to this topic. I am interested in reading your response, and have quotes myself that I would like to offer for your assessment. I would rather not have to wade through all this other stuff to read them.

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

It doesn't change anything even if you were.

9. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Well it seems the point is mute now since the post has already been edited. Once again I say that conviction runs deep. You can say what you want about the KJV.It does not affect my peace so that I have to run screaming about intent.

10. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Brian I am with Pastor Bob and will continue if we can do without nasty comments from others. I have a multitude of references we can discuss.

(no need to feed the fire)

[ January 13, 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Kal-El ]

11. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Sure, that's a great idea. I'll start it when I get home this evening, so I can post which of W/H's books I own, so we can limit the quotes to those volumes. I'd love to get "The Life and Letters" sets (for both W and H), but they are quite rare. I found a place that sells reprints of them, but they are still very expensive ($70 for Hort, $75 for Westcott, and these are *photocopies* of the books). I'll have to think about if I want to spend that much for them. [​IMG] I recently saw an original Life and Letters of Hort go on ebay for $180. :eek: A bit too rich for my blood.

BTW, that reminds me - did you ever read my reply to your comments about Westcott's view of the resurrection?

12. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Several clear misstatements (yet again)

Patently false. The MV do not claim that they come from these texts. They rightly claim to use them as evidence. And they should. They are texts that God has preserved. We need to make us of them. But they are only a part of the evidence. A quick glance at the textual apparatus will show that the MVs use all the manuscripts evidence rather than the 95% of the Majority text or the .0016% of the TR.

Two problems here: 1) There are not over 6000 manuscripts; there are less than 5500 at last count. 2) They do not all agree. There are no two manuscripts that are identical; they all differ from each other.

Misstating the truth does not help your case.

[ January 13, 2003, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

13. Steve K.

Steve K. Guest

Then stop misstating the truth Larry. You know very well where I stand with you and I have asked you nicely not to enter into discussions with me.If you want to discuss with others help yourself but I will not deal with a person that will not tell or accept truth.

14. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember giving you a quote and I remember you responding that it was taken out of context. Beyond that I'm not sure. I'll have to go back and find the thread.

15. Pastor_Bob

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am closing this thread. The attitude has become insolent. Brian will address the above mentioned issues in a new thread.