1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pagan Names and Origins

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Walls, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

Is it pleasing to God to observe pagan names and their origins?

I have been questioned extensively on this subject because I change my calendar to read 1st month, 2nd month, 1st day, 2nd day and so on intstead of using January, February, Sunday, Monday. Same calendar just without the pagan names. Funny that it is such an object of discussion, isn't it proper and acceptable to write the date as 1/12/03 for example? Why would it be so unbelievable to leave out the pagan names?

Actually, I have a very dear friend who's birth name was Diana and she was so convicted of the pagan origin of her name that she changed it to something more God honoring.

We are studying Baptist origins in church and one thing the pastor said is that God is picky when it comes to names. He named John; the Baptist, Abram; Abraham, Jacob; Israel, Saul; Paul.

What do you think God thinks about the use of names? Is it important to Him? Is it something we should concern ourselves with? I think so, otherwise the name of this board should be changed to something more pagan, don't you think?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

You'd be surprised how many comone objects and things in ordianry everyday life have pagan or even false god names.
    When you say pagan do you mean it just isn't chrisitan in origin, or do you mean as in false god worship?
    In month name meanings I found these months althugh not christian names, don't appear to be from false religions, but some just named after real people.
    Still looking.

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's a rather simplstic question without a simplistic answer. On the surface, it would be easy to say "no". OTOH, referring to Shakespeare, a rose by any other name would still smell sweet.

For example, I have an uncle whose name is "Anton". Should he change his name simply because the founder of the church of satan's name is also "Anton"? Most would say no.

Our own origins of the word "God" go back to an early English term meaning "the one who is". The Hebrew word "Yahweh" is a derivation for a similar phrase in Egyptian. Yet the fact that the Egyptians were largly polytheistic seems to be of no concern.

4. Brett

Brett New Member

I'd hate to think of God as being so petty that he'd care what you're named. God is an infinite being in every respect, meaning he has infinite understanding, love, compassion, justice and knowledge. He knows that, by referencing somebody's name or the months of the year, that you're simply following the cultural system and that you mean nothing disrespectful to God. So I don't think there's any need to worry about it.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Earthly names mean nothing. That is the only name that matters!

Galatians 2:4 But it was because of the false brethren secretly brought in, who had sneaked in to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, in order to bring us into bondage.

6. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

Names with pagan origins can lose their original meaning and influence. So much so that the name will take on a new meaning.

"Diane" is a nice name. I don't believe most people will begin worshipping or think of the mythological goddess "Dianna" when she says her name. However, I respect her decision to change her name. I hope she realizes that she does not stand in better favor God eyes because she did it.

Names are important of course. I generally don't find Christian parents naming their children "Baal", "Judas", "Lucifer", etc. for obvious reasons.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

My name is Diane Elizabeth and you can be SURE my parents were not thinking of a moon goddess when they chose my name in 1950.

Diane

In Today's Computer Age, Diane stands for:
    Digital Integral Attach & Navigation Equipment
    Direct Information Access Network for Europe

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Probably, but it's clear by your photo that your were not born until at least 1960. [​IMG]

9. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

You are a shameless flirt John...but admittedly that's part of why I like you.

Diana: The virgin goddess of hunting and childbirth, traditionally associated with the moon and identified with the Greek Artemis.

Elizabeth: From Elisabet, the Greek form of the Hebrew name Elisheba meaning "God is my oath"

10. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

11. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

I respect your conviction, despite my complete bewilderment. Does this mean you will cease to celebrate Easter as well?

I would tell Diana that God is more concerned with the condition of her heart than the origin of her name. The name "Diana" was given to her: she did not pick this name.

Could you get the Scripture the pastor uses to support this?

I totally disagree with you, but our relationship with God is to be a personal one, so if this is your conviction (notice I said "yours" - not anyone else's) then I would encourage you to continue in this manner.

12. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Thank you but that IS a current picture and there's one from Valentines on my profile with my hubby of almost 33 years. Yep, Dec. 29, 1950.
    My KIDS are 32, 28, 26 and the adopted one is 8 1/2 (was our grandson).

Diane

13. DCK

DCK New Member

As others have said, if you feel convicted about this, then you should follow your convictions. You might keep in mind, however, that Paul is a Roman name, and "Roman" certainly qualifies as "pagan." Peter is a Greek name, as is Andrew (and others). If the apostles thought it proper to have "pagan" names, how can it be wrong for us? Besides, our faith is all about redemption, the transformation by God of something worldly or pagan into something pure, holy, and acceptable. Why worry, then, about trivial things like names and titles?

14. Mark Armstrong

Mark Armstrong New Member

Some say that my first name, Mark, is derived from "Mars," the Roman pagan god of war. Similarly, the month of March is said to be named after Mars. Yet, God saw fit for "Mark" to be the title of one of the four Gospels.

15. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

Does anyone know where the name "Angela" came from?
    What is it's origin?

Thanks ------Bart

16. Mark Armstrong

Mark Armstrong New Member

According to the Pronouncing Vocabulary of Common English Given Names in the Merriam Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary "Angela" means "angel," and is derived from the Greek word aggelos, meaning "angel" or "messenger."

17. Walls

Walls New Member

Very interesting, huh Bart? [​IMG]

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Tuesday = Zeus day
    Wednesday = Woden's day
    Thursday = Thor's day

However :

Titus 3:13 Bring Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their journey diligently, that nothing be wanting unto them.

Here are two brethren which have Pagan god names and Paul says nothing about it.

Also:
    1 Corinthians 3 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.

This Apollos is probably the Jewish convert from Acts 18-19.

HankD

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

Angela, Greek origins, means , heavenly messanger

20. donnA

donnA Active Member

Donna, Italian origin, means, lady
    Jean Hebrew origin, means , God is gracious

Heres a great site too look up your name, let us know what you find.
    Name Meanings

I found one place that said this about Donna's, I was amazed, it is me.

Donna=
    Your first name of Donna has made you happiest when you are expressing in some creative, artistic way, and not conforming to strict routine. In a large group of comparative strangers, you are quiet and rather shy, unable to express yourself, not really wanting to become involved in conversation. On the other hand, among friends with whom you feel at ease, you are expressive, witty, and quite charming. These contrasting natures make it difficult for people to understand you and can lead to friction in your personal life. You are deep, philosophical, and refined, but your extremely sensitive nature causes you to become depressed and self-pitying over any real or imagined slight. If you are not careful, people take advantage of your generous nature. You find the beauties of nature, fine music, art, and literature--all the deeper things of life--inspiring. The reserved, sensitive side of your nature brings aloneness and friction into your life, although you crave affection and understanding.