1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Paige Patterson "Takes the Hill!" @ SWBTS

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Sep 18, 2009.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus told some not to say anything.

Our focus is to be on Christ not a man. To suggest that Jesus did not have more wisdom than all of man is to suggest that Jesus is less than God and somehow made at least one mistake. Are you suggesting that Christ is less then God and that somehow a person can be above that? Yes there were those who followed Christ and carried the message. If you have studied leadership issues that amounts to about 3% of the population. Messages in big groups would have never worked under communism where it was illegal to meet in groups. You have to also realize that the context of Jesus’ ministry was under the threat of persecution and death.

When I lived in the south I never met any Christians who did not know they should share their faith, but I met many in seminary who wanted me to help them. Even one of the earlier posts in this discussion testifies of the problem with giving just an assignment. If those men are not helped do you really think they will share their faith later.

You expressed my point very well. Sharing one’s faith is done most often one by one and seldom en masse. Having someone telling people what they already know they ought to be doing seldom does nothing except heap guilt on them. I would suggest that Patterson takes the men he is discipling with him every time he goes into the local community where he lives. I believe his ministry would be far more multiplied.

I would contend that is not the way Jesus taught. I would contend that Jesus had his disciples with him when He encountered the crowds and taught His disciples by what he said and did. They followed Him. Jesus was amongst sinners. Patterson was preaching to the choir.

I would contend that what he said was correct but what he actually taught was almost nothing in terms of application. If sermons were the solution to the problems in the church then Hebrews 3:13 is nothing more than a lie. It is easy to tell someone to make disciples but it takes time to show them and get them past their struggles and fears.

What you suggest is exactly what I do to teach people to share their faith and make disciples. It is taught by what I do and say. How did Paterson teach his listeners by doing it? He took it to the seminary students and not the lost. I am unable to see Jesus winning the lost by talking to his disciples about winning the lost. He took His disciples with him to the lost.

Several years ago I asked some pastors to participate with me in reaching the area for Christ. It was amazing how many excuses I got. I gave up asking pastors and started taking new Christians with me. The church grew by new Christians sharing their faith. In that same church one of the deacons brought up a concern about the lack of evangelism among the people as though I was the solution. So I decided to ask him to go with me. He literally shook just before we left. I thought there was something wrong with him and asked him if there was. When I took him with me in a matter of two hours his life was changed. One of my friends told me that he had never seen someone change so much in two hours. That man started two Bible studies in the community within a few weeks. He had heard me talk about sharing my faith and my approach many times but until he went with me he was nothing more than guilt ridden. I have never once told my daughter that she needs to share her faith but she does. She has asked me many questions about how she should answer someone. She learned to share her faith by watching her mom and dad.

Think about what you just said. Evangelism does nothing to bring one to maturity. An immature person affects few if any.

If one were to train one person to spiritually reproduce themselves in the life of another every two years for 48 years, and that person trains another to do the same thing, that person will have reached 1,6777,216 people who are disciple along the way. That same person would have to win almost 958 people every day for 48 years. If that were to happen when would the person have time to make disciples.

As I go I am training men to lead, how to share their faith, and how I deal with questions, issues, and personalities. That is what Jesus did too. So as he was evangelizing the lost He was also training his disciples.

When Paul told Timothy to do the work of an evangelist he had already developed a relationship on a personal level with him and was discipling him.

You forgot a few other things that Paul told him and demonstrated, “I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.”

Paul did not just tell Timothy to do the work of an evangelist. He had lived the faith in Timothy’s presence.

If sermons were the answer then the church today in America would be overflowing with those who are sharing their faith. We know the facts though.

I cannot think of one person who makes disciples who does not also share their faith but I can think of those who share their faith who do not make disciples.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The above is extracted from the "Source". Frankly I think such play acting is sacrilegious. Reminds me of an act in a Knoxville area church where the pastor had himself pulled up a cable to the balcony in an Easter service. None of this nonsense glorifies God!