1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Palin Fought Against Listing Growing Polar Bear Population as Threatened

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just weeks before Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R.) was tapped by Sen. John McCain (R.-Ariz.) to be his vice presidential running mate, her administration filed suit against the federal government challenging the Interior Department’s listing of the polar bear as “threatened."

According to literature published by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), scientists estimated in the late 1950s through mid-1960s that there were anywhere from 5,000 to 19,000 polar bears. The latest survey from the IUCN, conducted in 2005, said: “The total number of polar bears worldwide is estimated to be 20,000-25,000.”

More Here

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another reason to not vote for Sarah Palin for vice president.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Polar Bear as it truns out is determined to be threatened not by a loss of numbers (which actually are on the rise) but based on flawed computer models of the mythical global warming.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shows how out of touch she is. If things continue as they are the Polar Bear will be extinct by the turn of the next century.

http://cache.search.yahoo.net/searc...r+bears+extinct&d=Ib5v_xg5RYM9&icp=1&.intl=us

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061217122142AAF4nru

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason for the decline does not matter per the subject of this thread. Regardless of the reason it only shows she is out of touch with reality by saying they are not threatened. If they are not threatened why are their numbers decreasing?

Simply another of your attempts to derail a thread.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think maybe you should reread the op. Or did you even read it to begin with. Add to that you may need to reread my post that you quted. Or did you even read it to begin with.

Your accusation fo my derailing threads is pure emotionally based and is not founded in reality. In the end it is a false accusation. Add to that this thread was started by me. You should really think before you post. try reading the op as well.

7. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

"A survey of the animals numbers in Canada's eastern Arctic has revealed that they are thriving, not declining…'There aren't just a few more bears. There are a lot more bears,' said Mitch Taylor, a polar bear biologist who has spent 20 years studying the animals. His findings back the claims of Inuit hunters who have long claimed that they were seeing more bears."
    LINK

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Which is the same iinfo in the op if one actauly reads it.

9. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Its like the gators here in Florida. (not the foorball team) For years they were protected and now they are all over the place.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How is it like the Gators?

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This whole thing has top do with Alaskan oil...

If we begin to drill like she wants in the upper ends of Alaska there will be problems with warming the environment etc... This will endanger the polar bears natural habitat which is on the do not mess with list. She needs them off the list in order to move forward with drilling.

However, she has other obstacles since geologist have also said drilling in that region will be the demise of ourselves. She won't hear it and will be drilling by next year if she gets her way. Making VP will sure go a long way for her drilling agenda.

Again, she must think the rest of us are absolutely stupid knowing about all the oil in Alaska and not drilling for it. She was on CNN saying, "why do we buy foreign oil when we have oil in our own state of Alaska". There is a reason the hill hasn't let the oil companies go drill crazy up there and for her to insinuate they were all sitting on their thumbs but here she is with the answer is the biggest insult I've seen in years. As McCain, he is against the drilling. Ask him why he is against the drilling?

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I don't find much on the thawing and don't usually promote Wiki but here is a place to start. It is way more complicated than just getting the polar bears off the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Refuge_drilling_controversy

Two things of interest to me. Go down the bottom under Native Alaskans... Seems to me if they were included in the polls she wouldn't be at 80%.

The Alaska Inter-Tribal Council, which represents 229 Native Alaskan tribes, officially opposes any development in ANWR.[38] In March 2005 Luci Beach, [39] the executive director of the steering committee for the Native Alaskan and Canadian Gwich’in tribe (a member of the AI-TC), during a trip to Washington D.C., while speaking for a unified group of 55 Alaskan and Canadian indigenous peoples, said that drilling in ANWR is "a human rights issue and it's a basic Aboriginal human rights issue.

The the section under Projected impact on global price

The total production from ANWR would be between 0.4 and 1.2 percent of total world oil consumption in 2030. Consequently, ANWR oil production is not projected to have a large impact on world oil prices.

This project would greatly boost the Alaskan economy but at what cost? I think she is being careless and now allowing all the facts to settle as she pushes to put jobs in her state. It is the principle of, "what good is it to gain the whole world and loose your soul"... By the way, you know she is connected to Alaskan Oil.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The impact of drilling on the area is not as settled as it is made out to be. Environmentalists make everything out to be bad for the environment. They have lost all credibility long ago. Putting the Polar Bears on the endangered list only adds to the lack of credibility. It is nothing more than a ploy to stop any drilling.

The article you cites looses credibility when it compares the oil that could come out of anwar to the world supply. The point of drilling is to be self sufficient and not have to go outside of the US to get our oil. The comparison to the worlds supply is just an attempt to make the numbers look smaller.

You failed to acknowledge that the article also quoted McCain when he said he was willing to reconsider his position.

Whe the article speaks to supporting views it shows no studies that argue against the environmental impacts being asserted by those with agenda's.

14. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Of course it has to do with Alaskan oil. That is why the environmental groups have been pushing for years to have polar bears listed as endangered, while they are increasing in numbers. It's an attempt to stop any drilling. Based on wobbly computer models.

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

There is no scientific evidence for your allegations.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

That have no proven credibility.

17. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

That's right. I read it and posted another source confirming the OP.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. I quoted you but was adressing others.

19. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Oh. I got it now :thumbs:

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree with everything you said to the degree that there are varying views on this subject. What I said is this is a complex issue with multiple sides and what you see from Gov Palin is her side. Other people have another side.

Secondly, McCain recently made that statement which is his path to changing his position since the drilling is the conservative position. He did this in a very PC fashion and said I will review any information put before me. I would wish all politicians would do this.

Lastly, the Eskimo feel this is their land and they further feel they are technically Indian's. If they are correct, this would be like trying to put a well in the middle of a reservation.

She is into oil. Her Husband works in oil and as Governor she will greatly boost the Alaskan economy. I can't fault her for her view. I just think the rest of us shouldn't wear the same blinders and consider all the facts in the matter.