1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Panopticon

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Don, May 28, 2007.

1. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Now to get back to your OP, let me add that although we are not prisoners, we live in a society where the eye of the camera is always on. From red light cams, to ubuquitous cell phone cameras, we are always being observed. Privacy is at risk, but I don't believe it will ever go back now that the genie is out of the bottle.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your civility in your answers. Wasn't ignoring hillclimber; just hoping s/he was reading all the exchanges. So let me make it known here: Hillclimber, please address the original subject of this thread. Thank you.

"One nation, under surveillance" -- all too true.

Hadn't thought of mentioning cell phone cameras further enabling the "inmates" to be "jailers."

It's not too late to put the genie back in the bottle; the question is, do we want to?

I am a conservative, to the core. But I'm the type of conservative that appreciates personal responsibility, and the rights of the individual. I will not trade individual freedoms for so-called "security."

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

And while I tend to lean more liberal on social issues, you and I are in complete agreement on security vs. freedom.

I sincerely hope you are correct, that the genie can be put back...but you raise an interesting point; should it be? I would have to give that some more thought. Thanks for stimulating me to ponder that issue.

4. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Well my opinions are not popular anyway so: I believe the democracy we are left with has myriads of flaws, one being that the direction the nation takes is left up to the individual in the voting booth, and his inclinations are based on that information he receives from many venues. If not a believer (many believers also) he is directed by political rhetoric from the media. The politically correct theme is to live and let live, and for goodness sake don't base any perceptions on a persons color, religion, national background, or manner of dress. This allows great latitude for the evil ones bent on our destruction here at home. This benevolent attitude toward evil, requires one of two mindsets. (probably many, but I'm just not that smart):

1) continue in the direction of the OP, adding security measures until such time society feels safe. The trade off being security for loss of the perception of freedom. This could save many lives.

2) continue to resist this building up of surveillance, security being secondary to the perception of freedom. This will aid the goals of the enemy who's sworn (And this is the only oath believable by these fascists) goal is to convert or kill every infidel. This path will cost many lives, but society will think it's free.

The Anti-Christ will run on the platform of 'Peace and security' and the world will flock to him.