1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pants Or No Pants

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, May 31, 2007.

1. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know about that either. Again, we look at outside behavior, but inside, it is not always as righteous and holy as it looks.

Still, the Churches that taught them (It appears they have all given up on that, thoygh the pastors of the untraconservative churches still seem to follow it) are on the "old-line" side of the issue, and not the contemporary Churches everyone complains about. This is apart of what I al talking aboyut, regarding this past "revival" you talk about. There were many other such rules in the past.

No, I said there that the Fall is what created all the evil in the world. However, it is true that throwing out laws at the fallen human nature only makes it more rebellious, as Paul shows in Romans 7. And how much worse will ii be with unbiblical rules mixed in eith the biblical ones. So as I said, people will rebel against them all. This has been the mistake of old time religion.

OK. But if the issue is pants on women, they can look very modest of the length and fit are done right. In fact, skirts can be looked up, so decent pants are even more covering!

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: What a man believes will drive his outward actions. In the revivals of religion in the mid 1800’s we find a transformation in not only their own lives but whole communities as well. That takes a genuine work of the Holy Spirit.
    Quote:
    HP: I almost hear you insinuating that the evil in the world is due to the enforcement of certain rules concerning dress and conduct by conservative churches of the "old religious order." At least that gives the Jews a needed break on being dubbed the perpetrators of all evil.

HP: So possibly God is responsible for the increase of evil? By creating all those rules after the fall, was He was just causing men to be more rebellious?
    There are many rules today that might be seen as unbiblical, but can we rightfully assume that they are aiding to the increase of evil?

HP; I would agree that in certain instances pants may indeed be more covering, but they also could____________________________________________________.

I would like for some of the ladies on the list to fill in the blanks of my last sentence. :)

3. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where exactly was this? And why did pople still regard other people as 3/5th human and justify oppressing them? Why were they still taking others' lands?

I think there may have been genuine revival, but in pockets in an otherwise secular society, just as there are pockets of people led by the Spirit today. But it was not enough to make the broad general judgments of all of past society versus present society people always keep making.
    No, what He was doing was teaching us the lesson Paul brings out in Romans; that just throwing Law at man does not make him righteous.
    We any clothes could be made any way. You can have a long skirt that is tight. That to me is worse than tight pants or short but looser stuff. So again, the issue is not skirts versus pants in terms of "modesty".

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Heavenly Pilgrim
    HP: What a man believes will drive his outward actions. In the revivals of religion in the mid 1800’s we find a transformation in not only their own lives but whole communities as well. That takes a genuine work of the Holy Spirit.

HP: The revivals I am speaking of took place primarily in the NE region of the United States. As I recall they also affected parts of England as well.

What true believer still thinks of another human as 3/5ths human and is guilty of oppressing them whoever the ‘them’ is referring to? What land is being taken away by believers?

Quote:
    HP: So possibly God is responsible for the increase of evil? By creating all those rules after the fall, was He was just causing men to be more rebellious?
    There are many rules today that might be seen as unbiblical, but can we rightfully assume that they are aiding to the increase of evil?

HP: As I read the commandments and Romans, I failed to get that point.

HP: I am curious as to the opinions of those on the list, in particular the women. What do modest pants on a women consist of? Can pants be immodest? They do most often cover the entire area from the waist to the ankles don’t they? What could have possibly been the basis for what is seen now as a mere oppresive legalistic notion that existed for two thousand years, that pants on women were immodest, be a result of or be caused by?

#84 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2007
  5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Man is programmed by God to allow for visual attraction to take place when seeing the opposite sex. Could it be that God is the original author of the distinction of dress between the sexes, understanding our chemistry perfectly?

We know that certain things pertain to men and certain things pertain to women according to Scripture. We also know that it is a universal distinguishing factor for man to wear pant and women to wear dresses. Any bathroom door tells us that much. Could it be possible for that to be one of the few God ordained distinctions between the sexes that He first granted to man as He clothed them in the garden subsequent to the sins of Adam and Eve? Could that be why that distinction has been kept as a clear distinction for thousands of years by many if not most cultures?

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Are you saying that God clothed Adam in pants and Eve in a skirt?

In Jesus' day, even men didn't wear pants. They wore robes and so did the women. What was the distinction then?

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Great point, Amy!!:thumbs: I think it's more of a question of "modesty" vs "immodesty" rather than pants on women.

Just my thoughts.

8. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gen 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them. (KJV)

How does coates of skins equate into pants for men and dresses for women?

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: First, I was not a butterfly in the garden of Eden, so I do not know ansolutely what the distinction of dress was that God ordained. I asked a question if it was possible. We know that God indeed has looked upon man and women dress as clearly distinctive, for He warned the human race carefully not to wear clothes that specifically pertained to the opposite sex God called the practice an abomination, did He not? You don’t suppose it was open toes sandals compared to closed toed ones do you, or maybe a hair bow as opposed to no hair bow?

One clear distinction that there is biblical evidence for was the girding up of the loins on men. It clearly brought the material of their garment up between the legs of men. This was never commanded or practiced among women that I know of. My question was, IS IT POSSIBLE, that this clear distinction was ordained of God even from the garden in the covering them with skins? If God called wearing things that pertained to different sexes an abomination, would it be such a stretch to consider that God might teach them this distinction by the clothes He fitted for them so as to educate them on what God did and did not believe was an abomination? Would it be another stretch to believe that something God taught them as to dress between the sexes would be handed down for generations in the form of the exemplification of that distinction? What might this clear distinction consist of? How close should a believing Christian walk to the point of being seen as walking near a line God called crossing it an abomination?

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

A man wearing a dress still looks like a man. A woman wearing a suit still looks like a woman. Surely you can tell the difference. The point is that men are to behave like men and women are to behave like women. God made us differently and we are to behave differently. By trying to "be" the opposite sex, one is clearly defying God and His purposes.

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

De 22:5 ¶ The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

HP: This verse directly is speaking of 'garments' as I read it. Possible one has a different translation?

12. Eric B

Eric B Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm talking about during the past. Continuing through this same period all of this revival supposedly took place.
    (Though to grant you; the revival may have helped the northeast ease up on slavery and at least for a while, racism).
    Chapter 7.
    I think someone said it before. There are pants that are cut a certain way, that look distinctively feminine, and it is if a man wore them, that the scripture would be violated. Feminine pants often have no zipper in the front. Also, you have kilts, which are for men. Though we are not used to that, so we see it as a female "skirt".

Pants can be immodest, but that is not what we are discussing here.

Again, as others have said, in ancient times, they wore robes, yet there was some sort of difference between male and female. Look at any illustration of the ancient garb. The males wore robes resembling our modern bathrobes, and females it was like a sort of dress. But pantaloons with a crotch were apparently not what made the distinction.

And the thing about "girding up your loins", you are really stretching to read pantaloons "between the legs" into that. Even if that was true, it would suggest they were not wearing pants with a crotch when they were not fighting or doing whatever else that required them to "gird their loins".

13. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Before I go further, let me say that I am a card carrying, true blue, rock solid, bible believing conservative "baptist/pentecostal" evangelical.

OK. Now...

Of all of the silly things that sometimes creep into evangelical christianity, and some things can be veeeeery silly, I dont think there is ANYTHING more ridiculous and absurd than this MONUMENTAL weirdness that a women should not wear pants in church.

I have NEVER understood it, and it has always COMPLETLY boggled my mind how weirdness of this magnitude could ever come to be.

It just completly amazes me.

Mike

14. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Building on what both my sisters are saying here (and I thing what Scarlett said eons ago), if women don't wear clothes that are too tight, too short, too revealing, then it should be ok. Same goes for men.

15. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Some questions:

1) If we're going to demand that women fully comply with Deuteronomy 22:6, shouldn't we also demand that men fully comply with Deuteronomy 22:11? ("Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, as of woolen and linen together.")

2) Do all of our garments have "fringes upon the four quarters of thy vesture, wherewith thou coverest thyself"? (Deut. 22:12)

3) Aren't all of us in big trouble if we've built a new house and didn't "make a battlement for thy roof, that thou bring not blood upon thine house, if any man fall from thence"? (22:8)

In conclusion: "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." -- (James 2:10)

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

To Bitsy and Ktn,

Amen to both of you. :1_grouphug:

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Any reasonable commentator acknowledges that there are certain laws that are moral laws, and there are certain laws that are ceremonial laws. Do you believe that verse 8 was a ceremonial law? Or was it a moral commandment, to protect people from falling off the roof and dying? If it is a moral commandment, what justification do you have for not keeping it?

18. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Problem is that man arbitrarily divides that law up based on their preferences of what they wish to keep or not. The scriptures do not divide up the law the way men do. The law is one complete monolithic unit. Jesus and James say so, and I believe them.

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Isn't that exactly what you are doing? As for the law being one complete unit, you are correct in a sense, but there has been a change in the law. There is the law of Moses, and then there is the law of Christ, the law of Grace if you will. Jesus holds his people to a higher standard than the law of Moses.

Matthew 5:27-28
    27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
    28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

There are moral commandments that are just as binding today as they were in the day of Moses. Just because we acknowledge that a man is not saved through the keeping of commandments, that does not make the commandment void. Some commandments we have been given liberty in, and some we have not.

20. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

:thumbs: When you go into a church service and it looks like a fashion show and all the attention is focusing on what everyone is wearing or NOT wearing, there's something wrong. Modesty IS the issue. And I agree, modesty includes men also.