1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Parable of the Sower Matt 13

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Jan 21, 2006.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There are four types of people described in the parable of the sower.
    1. The person who hears the word and doesn't understand and the wicked one snatches it away what was sown in his heart
    2. The person who receives the word but it has no root, and endures only for a short while until trials and tribulation come along.
    3. The person who receives the word, but because of the cares of the world, he becomes unfruitful.
    4. He who hears the word, and takes it into his heart and produces fruit.

Four is saved. One and two to me are lost. I think three is lost, but at times I have wondered since Christians sometimes let worldly things take them from God for a season.

I would be interested in what anyone thinks about the number three person as far as being saved or lost.

Thanks

2. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

Number two, in my opinion, is saved because he has 'received' the word which means he accepted God's gift of eternal life. But what has happened is that his faith has not yet had a chance to grow and 'take root' in his life. It is not long after that he endurs trials and tribulations to where his faith is tested and, because it has not 'taken root, he has less of it.
    Number three is an example of what happens to a person once they 'receive'(get saved) the 'word' or 'gospel', but then gets tangled up in the pleasures of this world that they don't grow in God. When you attend church, pray, read your Bible everyday, etc. it helps you grow. But when you get distracted by what this world has to offer and all the problems it contains you don't have a chance to grow becaue you are so busy worrying about all the worldy things. Does this help?

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Clean, yes it does. So, you are saying three are saved and one is lost, is that correct?

4. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

All four of them are saved. The context of the message is the word of the kingdom as it pertains to fruit bearing. No one is capable of understanding or receiving this word unless they are "saved" (passed from death unto life).

Some "saved" get the seed stolen right from the get go, so forth and so on until you get to No. 4 who is shown bearing fruit.

5. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

No. 2,3, and 4 are saved but only No. 4 endures until the end. No. 2 and 3 fall from grace and are damned.

6. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

Number 1 is not saved. He has heard the gospel but the Devil has taken that away. You know sometimes when you go to church and the Pastor or preacher preaches a good message that makes you want to change something in your life, but when you get home you forget what it was that the preacher preached? Or that that zeal is gone to change your life? This is similar. The person has heard the word of God and has had a chance to get saved but Satan has 'snatched' away the gospel from his heart. That person no longer, at this point in time, has the desire to seek out more about what he had heard in church. You know when you witness to someone one day and then 2 days later you ask them if they have thought about what you said, then they say, "Oh. I forgot."? That is how the Devil works. He snatches away that seed you planted before it has any time to get watered and take root in that persons mind and heart.

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

All four are saved. This is a parable that pertains to the Kingdom and it pertains to fruit bearing. The message of the Kingdom is never given to an unsaved person, and an unsaved person is never expected to bear good fruit.

Matthew 13:11 says, "He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given."

This was in response to the question the disciples asked, in Matthew 13:10: "And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?"

These parables deal with the mysteries of the Kingdom of the Heavens (it’s always plural), or the rule of the heavens over the earth.

Matthew 13:11 begins with, "because it is given to you".

The "you" there refers to the disciples, as mentioned in the first part of verse 10, where it says, "the disciples came". Disciples. The disciples were to know the mysteries surrounding the Kingdom of the Heavens, but unto them (the multitudes) it is not given.

These mysteries are not for all of God’s children; these mysteries are for ears that can hear. It has to do with initiation. You might remember this word "mystery" from our study of Revelation 17. This comes from the Greek word "musteron" and it has to do with a secret. It has to do with something that someone has to be initiated into. Not all ears can hear.

Matthew 13:9: "Who hath ears to hear, let him hear."

This expression is used twice in this passage. In verse 43, the same expression is used again.

Who were those that it was not given to know the mysteries of the Kingdom of the Heavens?

Matthew 13:15: "For this people's heart is waxed gross, and [their] ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with [their] eyes, and hear with [their] ears, and should understand with [their] heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them."

That’s the key expression in this passage: "Their ears are dull of hearing". They’re full of earwax. They’re dull of hearing.

The message of spiritual salvation is given to everyone and it's in simple language that anyone can understand it. The mysteries of the Kingdom, are not given to everyone.

The mysteries of the Kingdom have to do with fruit bearing. Not all Christians will bear good fruit, and those who do will bear differently.

8. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

1 is definitely not saved.
    He doesn't even understand it.

2 is also described in Hebrews

Heb 6:4 For as touching those who were once enlightened and tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
    Heb 6:5 and tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the age to come,
    Heb 6:6 and then fell away, it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
    Heb 6:7 For the land which hath drunk the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them for whose sake it is also tilled, receiveth blessing from God:
    Heb 6:8 but if it beareth thorns and thistles, it is rejected and nigh unto a curse; whose end is to be burned.
    Heb 6:9 But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak:

They never really accepted what they heard.

3 maybe.
    4 yes.

MR

9. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Now, why would the message of the Kingdom be planted in unsaved people?

10. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What does it mean to be "saved" if you can possibly be damned? "Saved" from what?

11. David Mark

David Mark New Member

As a Christian, I can say that I have experienced all four of those. I've experienced hearing the Word, sensing and loving it's potential, then going about my normal routine and not being able to see the fruit of it.

I've experienced making progress or seeing some fruit only to have it sort of snatched away by my preoccupation on the things of this world.

But I thank God that he is able to recondition someone like me. He has been able to till my heart. He hasn't just thrown his hands up and put his tools away, thinking that I am a lost cause. For this, I call him faithful and wonderful!

Dave.

12. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Having thought about this passage a lot, and I feel as though the answer is within the passage itself. Wayside, stony, thorns then the good ground. Only in the last instance is there good ground. Doesn't it follow then that the others were bad ground? So, IMHO, only the last are saved. They do not bear fruit to get saved, they bear fruit because they are saved. The others cannot bear fruit because they are not saved and do not have Jesus; Jesus makes it plain that without Him we can do nothing.

13. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salvation does not appear to be the main focus of this parable but fruit bearing and those things which affect it.

In the Book of Luke we have this addition:

Luke 8
    15 But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

HankD

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

This cannot be reiterated enough!

Were the others only partly saved?

I think not!

All four received the seed.

15. StraightAndNarrow

The Bible tells us clearly what will happen to those who have accepted Christ but do not bear fruit. They are depicted as branches on the vine (Jesus) which are cast into the fire.

Jhn 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.
    Jhn 15:2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every [branch] that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
    Jhn 15:3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
    Jhn 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
    Jhn 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
    Jhn 15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast [them] into the fire, and they are burned.
    Jhn 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
    Jhn 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
    Jhn 15:9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
    Jhn 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
    Jhn 15:11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and [that] your joy might be full.

Some try to make being a true Christian easy but that is not so.

Mat 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    Mat 7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

16. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] This is comical to read. This should be in the humor section!

17. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

I agree, only the last is saved. He is one who has been regenerated, made spiritually alive by the Holy Spirit, and given the faith by which he is able to respond to the "Effectual Call" and then bear fruit. [See Ephesians 2:1-10]

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Absolutely! Unfruitful Christians have a lot to answer for.

This passage has nothing to do with spiritual salvation, except for the fact that it is four different types of soil. Saved people. Some are fruitful and some are not.

19. StraightAndNarrow

Absolutely! Unfruitful Christians have a lot to answer for.

This passage has nothing to do with spiritual salvation, except for the fact that it is four different types of soil. Saved people. Some are fruitful and some are not.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You can believe as you wish but I for one would not want to stand in front of Christ at the Judgment and have Him say that He does not love me.

Jhn 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

20. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Neither would I! That's why we're given warnings, just as we warn our own children about their behavior, and the consequences thereof.