1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Paradise Purgatory - the "other" option

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 21, 2016.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I correct you repeatedly on that list -- here it is "again" with the corrections.

As already noted in Acts 14 and 16.

2. Timothy was saved in his childhood just as we see the saved pre-cross saints of Hebrews 11 - some of them IN heaven pre-cross as Hebrews 11 points out and as we see in Matt 17.
    3. Timothy was converted to Christianity when Paul first went to Lystra in Acts 14.

4. Timothy was saved as a Jew precross -- just as all of them in Hebrews 11. And we see living proof the "one-gospel" precross salvation in the case case of Moses and Elijah who stood with Christ and also noticing the "Bible detail" that Enoch was in heaven - Gen 5 -- precross. So als admitted in Hebrews 11.

It is entirely possible that you would like this correct repeated even more than I already have.

if so - please let me know because until you respond to the correct as I have posted it here "again" it makes it look like you don't understand what the correction is.

I am not insisting that you agree with me - but you should at least know what the two views are.

A. Paul's journey in Acts 14 is only a few years time between Acts 14 and Acts 16.
    Your theory falls apart at that point since 'from Childhood" Timothy was in fact a saved saint. Though not yet a Christian Much like all of those in Hebrews 11 including Moses and Elijah in heaven in Matt 17.

I never argue 'two salvations' for Timothy -- we only see that stuff from you.

You have to be joking. That is exactly how Jewish lineage is determined it is Matrilineal

Hence - Christ was a Jew.

In Acts 16 the whole reason Timothy is circumcised is that his mother was a Jew and under the Matrilineal rules - Timothy should have been circumcised. On the other hand Titus was not because he had not Jewish Mother and it was not an offense for him not to be circumcised.

In any case - the argument is about scripture and salvation from Timothy's childhood... not "who is a Jew"

Hint: "From Childhood"

Until you notice that they were also saved pre-cross and they show that someone in Timothy's childhood position of knowing the scriptures but not knowing of Christ - was still a saved saint none-the-less as are all those in Heb 11 - even before the cross.

The point remains.

2. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In heaven there is no sinning.

Whatever means employed by God for you to stop sinning is insignificant.

THE TIME PERIOD in which you DO stop sinning between death and heaven HAPPENS.

Please give it a name for me.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

What ever name you picked out.......we call it purgatory.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 14 and 16 do not deal with the childhood of Timothy.
    There is no passage in the Bible that clearly states that Timothy was saved in childhood.
    Timothy is not mentioned among the OT saints in Hebrews 11. What makes you think he is??

A devout Jew is not saved because he is a devout Jew. He is saved when he believes on the Lord Jesus Christ. This makes the era that Timothy lived in different than the era that Moses lived in.
    Even Nicodemus, a Rabbi and teacher of Israel was a devout Jew. I don't believe that he got saved or was born again in John 3, but he was born again some time before the death of Jesus as we see him working together with Joseph of Arimethea and other disciples of Jesus. Before that time he was ashamed to speak up for Christ.
    When did Peter become a Christian?
    Andrew found Peter. "Come and see; is this not the Messiah"?
    Was he a believer before he met the Messiah or after? A Christian is one "who believes on the Lord Jesus Christ," not one who believes in the religion of Israel.
    Yes, he was; not when he was a child. He may have had a mother who was a Jew, but his family was Gentile. He was not circumcised and not allowed entrance into the Temple. This is what most commentators believe--that Paul led Timothy to the Lord during his first stay in the area of Lystra. This makes sense, especially in light of such verses as:

1Ti 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.
    --The implication here is that Paul led him to the Lord.
    He was in Lystra ca. 45 A.D., and then again about 7 years later in chapter 16 when he was older and more mature--both in age and spiritual maturity. In chapter 14 he was not a child!

To think that Timothy lived pre-cross is absurd. He was a young man. When first contacted by Paul he may have been 18-20. Even if 20, and on Paul's first missionary he would have been born 25 A.D. or just 4 years before the death of cross. Very few people get saved that early in life, though there are some. But Timothy was saved under the ministry of Paul, not when he was four years old. He did not live pre-cross except for four years of his life. To claim "pre-cross" is ridiculous.
    What are your two views? I only see you post confusing contradictory statements.
    He was saved under the ministry of Paul, and Paul calls him "his own son in the faith."

1. Timothy did not live "pre-cross," thus your theories here fall apart.
    2. It does not say that Timothy was saved during his childhood. You are reading something into this passage that isn't there.
    3. There is no mention of Timothy in Hebrews 11. This is a total red herring.

You have mentioned that he was saved in Acts 14 and as a child at the same time. Thus your posts are confusing and contradictory.

I believe you better go back and read your OT genealogies.
    Is Abraham's genealogy through Abraham or through Sarah?
    Does Noah's genealogy go through Noah or Noah's wife? What was Noah's wife anyway? Why don't we know? What about Shem, Ham and Japheth? If matriarchal who are their wives? Your argument is so weak and silly it needs no comment. The lineage always is through the man. What about your last name? Did it come from your father or mother?
    Christ is God. He never gave up his deity. Your example is wrong. Why are you comparing Timothy to God unless you worship him as an idol?

You are talking nonsense again. Every family is patriarchal, Timothy's included. He wasn't circumcised because his father wouldn't allow him. He was saved under Paul's ministry. Paul took him and circumcised him that he would be useful to Paul when Paul ministered among the Jews.

Adam Clarke says this:
    Able to make thee wise unto salvation - The apostle is here evidently speaking of the Jewish Scriptures; and he tells us that they are able to make us wise unto salvation provided we have faith in Jesus Christ. This is the simple use of the Old Testament. No soul of man can be made wise unto salvation by it, but as he refers all to Christ Jesus. The Jews are unsaved though they know these Scriptures, because they believe not in Christ; for Christ is the end of the law for the justification of all that believe.

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible states plainly that ALL of my sins were taken by jesus upon Hilself while on the Cross, that the moment that I received him thru faith, GOD declared me to be forever saved, and that God holds me now blameless for ANY sins, as now in Christ...
    i
    that is the Bible view, yours seems to be that God forgves all of my prior sinns done, but once 'saved", God still expects me to reach and attain a level of "rightness/goodness" that he finds me worthy enough to keep salvation...

What sins that we can ever do will be more powerful than the blood of Chrsit to wash away ALL out stain?

God is the one who saves us, declares us, preserves us, and He cannot deny himself, so why do you refuse to accept the scriptures?

5. utilyan

Site Supporter

No sir. I believe the matter of judgment is settled with Jesus Christ. You are forgiven but between now and heaven you will be healed.

If your son was a pyromaniac a, serious mental condition, and set peoples house on fire. You might find it your heart to forgive him but that doesn't mean you will let him light your house on fire, you are going to seek therapy or what have you to save him from himself.

I can pretty much guarantee that every one of your sins has been due to an act of fear and mistrust of God.

Evil is not allowed in heaven. God is neither going to put a Jesus Christ T-shirt on you and just allow you to continue in evil for eternity.

What God is going to do is heal you complete. Regenerate you completely. You are not going to be afraid any more, and you will trust God completely.

Revelation 21
    27and nothing unclean, and no one who practices abomination and lying, shall ever come into it, but only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

I believe you will be made holy by the blood of Jesus Christ, HOWEVER I don't believe you will only merely be "called" holy by the blood.

Heres the question that makes or breaks your stance.

When you get to heaven will you sin there?

If your answer is NO. It is because you have been cleansed and regenerated.

The WORD Purgatory turns a lot of people off. Its a different language it means PURIFY or CLEANSE.

The bottom line when you stop sinning forever and ever, WHEN IT HAPPENS by whatever MEANS, when it happens this is called PURGATORY.

We can call it "the time I stop sinning" it still IS what it IS. we just gave it a one word name rather then a paragraph or phrase. We call this purgatory.

6. utilyan

Site Supporter

If we were to take a hammer and smash one hand with it, it would not even take 5 seconds to figure this is a bad thing. No one will right away think to themselves lets do that again! We are easily repulsed by the idea.

As insane and crazy of a mistake that might be, it doesn't hold a candle to the absurdity and insanity of committing a SIN.

Committing a sin is the absolute DUMBEST thing a person can do. Every sin has a mistrust of God at its core.

When you get to heaven you will sin no more. You will understand it as clearly as you do smashing a hand with a hammer. To sin will never cross your mind.

When do we pick up this attitude? When are we cleaned never to sin again? The means is only GOD, Jesus. That period, WHEN and where IT HAPPENS, We have a name for it.

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to forget that all who have been saved will ALL get glorified bodies at second coming, so THAT is why we no longer can even sin, for we shall in that regard be as He always is!

And Jesus will bring with him at that event all who already died, from heaven, and those alive on earth, where is purgeory mentioned in there?

8. utilyan

Site Supporter

You got to be picky about "how" you say as much as "what" you say. Get a glorified body might be different from receiving a glorified body. If our bodies are accessories on our soul and you are being cleaned up then that's purgatory right there.

I think you need to show up with some scripture. Because a fully regenerated person would be glorified. There is a difference between a body being regenerated then glorified vs. it gets REPLACED with another body.

Jesus was resurrected and was glorified, he didn't get a clone. It would not have been a resurrection if he just got a clone. In a way we are called to follow in his footsteps.

If anything said amounts to a "sinful nature" being removed ect. WHEN and WHERE it happens....That is purgatory.

It can't happen in heaven because only pure is allowed there. Imagine your a muddy child. knock on back yard door. Mom opens up she's got that perfect floors......with the plastic on furniture ect. Your not just going to run in there. She is going to hose you down with water outside.

So the event of this final cleansing...... Its there. We can call it the carwash. We can call it the washing machine, ect. What you call it doesn't really matter.....it happens.

This is called PURGATORY.

The CLEAN-UP, no matter what you call it, it is what it is.

Purgatory is clean up in Latin language. Its not some mystical magical word.