1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

paranoias

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by chipsgirl, Jan 14, 2005.

1. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I have a friend who is paranoid about everything and it gets in the way of her life including our friendship (which makes her even more paranoid!) I tried to explain to her that if we give up our worries to God then they will work out in some way. I always think of the story of Jesus in the boat from the book of Mark. Anyways, she won't really take my advice. I've tried scriptures with her but she's not yet at the point of where she takes the Bible seriously. PLEASE pray for her and if you have some advice to give me please do! She has no faith! [​IMG]

2. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry to hear about your friend being paranoid. I know where she's coming from in a way. I used to think every lump or pain was cancer or some bad disease. I used to worry about everything.. I learned its a waste of time. Worry can't add a day to your life. While I can't offer solid advice about your friend because I don't know her situation I can say that an open ear can help alot. Keep on praying for her. Maybe she can find a good pastoral counselor to talk to.

In Christ,

Brooks

3. Watchman

Watchman New Member

I firmly believe in scripture and a dandy one is:
    "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You. Because he trusts in You." (Is 26:3)
    One needs to be Christ-centered, not self-centered. She needs to get into the Bible and read, read, read.
    "Let not your heart be troubled, you believe in God, believe also in Me." (John 14:1)
    God is not the author of fear for, "fear hath torment." The love of God is perfect love and love, "casteth out all fear."
    If she is a child of God (one thing that is not clear in your post), rest assured He does not want His children to live this way.

"TRUST and obey, for there's no other way, to be happy in Jesus than to TRUST and obey."

4. windanvil

windanvil New Member

It is good that you care about your friend. Continue to care; and be there for her when truly needed. Please revise your opening post for better communication. Your friend needs professional help if she is that paranoid. I don't think you meant to convey that message. You say she has no faith. Do you mean she has never received Christ? Live the life which will enable your friend to see Christ in you, even if you don't talk about God. Let His love flow through you into the life of your friend. Remind your friend that the abundant life is not dependant on our own resources but on God's resources. Since we can do nothing of lasting benefit towards our own happiness, and God promises in Romans 8:28-29 to work out even the bad things of life out for the good of all who love Him, why worry about something we have no control over.

5. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

If you friend had diabetes would you tell her to see a doctor? There is a possibility that there may be some kind of organic problem. Suggest a complete check up. IMHO.

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would second what rjprince said,

There is no real stigma anymore on Physical Illness, yet there does seem to be on Mental Illness. Advise your friend to see a Christian Psycologist and go with them to offer your support, you could really help alot with encouragement in that area.

7. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Her paranoia isn't about sicknesses but instead is a paranoia that everyone is looking at her, or hates her, etc.... Major lack of confidence. She sees a therapist about the problem. We have talked about it several times and she cares but not enough to really do anything about it. She has become such a slacker in so many aspects of her life and EXPECTS everyone around her to keep picking her up again. I talked to my pastor yesterday about her faith and we are going to do some serious praying for her. She and I are going out of town next weekend so I am going to use that opportunity to talk to her then about coming back to church and how it can really help your mindset. There is no better way to start off the week and wednesday services are a great midweek pick-me-up as well. She planned our girls night getaway on a Saturday-Sunday with no regard to the fact that I don't want to miss church plus it's bad for me too since I am the youth leader. I figured since I am missing church I will use that time to do some serious witnessing to her. Just pray she is willing to listen to me!

8. Karen

Karen Active Member

On the other hand,
    Since she planned this trip without regard to your schedule, how come you said you would go?

Karen

9. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

If I don't go then I have to deal with her getting all paranoid that I hate her. Plus it's her birthday and her parents reserved the room already. I guess they just assumed it wouldn't be a problem but it is. I also am missing the new member luncheon at my church that Sunday and I'm one of the new members!!! I've been looking forward to that day for months.

10. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Is this just "people are looking at me all the time," "I have low self-esteem" paranoia or "I hear voices, people are coming after me" paranoia? The reason I ask is that the latter sometimes starts off as the former if it is true mental illness or physically related. Stimulants will sometimes do it, as will lack of sleep. Does she sleep well at night? Does she drink lots of caffeine? Sometimes real paranoia can be a result of brain chemistry. That's why I'm asking.

You are correct, either way she needs to see a therapist. If any of the physical things I listed are going on, she needs to go NOW.

11. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

To my knowledge it's just a confidence problem. She's overweight, overly sensitive, sheltered, and shy. All of this I think is what has caused this problem. She is my best friend in the world and I want to be there (and will be) but I am tiring of the problem. It makes me not want to answer the phone when she calls cause I know I will spend the next hour reassuring her. If I don't baby her she gets mad. AGHHHH!

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Gonna be aloooong weekend trip you're going on!