1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Parents of Soldiers Killed in Action Seek $40B From Anti-War Shirt Seller

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, May 1, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PHOENIX — A Tennessee couple who lost their son in Iraq want an Arizona merchant to pay more than $40 billion in damages to survivors of soldiers whose names are on the anti-war shirts he is selling online.

Story Here

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Disgusting! Parents profiteering off their dead son. They have no compensible damages, their son's death is public record, and the vendor is exercising protected political free speech under the first amendment.

3. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I agree it is disgusting, BUT I think it is disgusting that someone would print the names of men and women who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for this country on shirts that condemn thier actions!

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As long as we have free speech we will have this type of thing happening ... and I doubt anyone wants us to do away with free speech.

People can sue over anything, but courts do not have to rule in their favor.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Disgusting! Parents profiteering off their dead son. They have no compensible damages, their son's death is public record, and the vendor is exercising protected political free speech under the first amendment.

Even more disgusting are the people publishing the name of their son on a shirt that degrades what their son believed he was fighting for. I'd try to sue them too!! I hope they shut this company down and drain every dime this company has in defending their "freedom of speech."

6. Magnetic Poles

I see the usual cast of characters is all for free speech, as long as it is supports their view. Otherwise it is all about censoring opposing views

The message is not denigrating the service personnel's sacrifices...rather they point out the vendor's view that Bush lied and sent them to die in a war that should not have happened. Free speech is for all, or no one is free. You may be offended and outraged, but you have no rght to not be offended.

You pro censorship types need to be careful...it may be YOUR views silened next!

This case will likely be quickly dismissed, as it should be. I imagine the folks screaming about this were all aver Cindy Shehan who also lost a son in this debacle, but who is anti-war.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Misusing, for either profit or political purposes' the names of the deceased servicemen has long been a favorite tactic of liberal anti war wackos. It's reprehensible and offensive, but so are the culprits.

I wish them luck with the suit but I believe it's going nowhere.

#7 carpro, May 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2008
  8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just because you have the freedom to speak...doesn't mean you should.

9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And hiding the effects of this war has been a tactic of the current administration, i.e. private funerals for soliders with only family members allowed, no photos of flag drapped coffins, no press coverage of horribly wounded in VA hospitals. The mess at Walter Reed would never have been cleaned up if reporters had not gotten around the road blocks put up by DOD and the current admin.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's see: On the one hand, we take the wounded who are being treated shabbily, and we expose the conditions and treatment, in order to make things better.

On the other hand, in order to make things better, we ignore the grieving families who believe what their children did was their duty, and we ignore their wishes that their children's names not be used in such a way, and we ignore that some of these young men and women volunteered for their second and even third deployment.

I'm not seeing the correlation between the two cases. The first case didn't involve creating any emotional suffering, only relieving it.

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was responding to Carpo's political statement.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was pretty obvious from the way your response to him included the statement "originally posted by carpro." I was quite aware that you were responding to him, and I still don't see the correlation in your response to him.

13. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simply that both the right and the left are guilty of attempting to sway opinion their direction.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is simply free speech until he turns a profit off of it. Then it moves beyond just free speech to disgusting. and even free speech can be the same.

#14 Revmitchell, May 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2008
  15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that has exactly what to do with the topic?

16. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

PLEASE! I am a Christian and as such I AM in the most censored group in America. I am not talking about someones rights, I am talking about respecting those who died for your rights.

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh nothing really. It was just an opportunity to get that dig in he has been harboring for a while now.:laugh:

18. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Having worked at both Walter Reed and Bethsda Medical Centers I can promise you that if the adminstration wanted to keep people out no one would have gotten around anything. These are the hospitals that presidents and political big wigs use and they are set up in a way that makes shutting them completly down possible. IF the government was trying to hide something we would not know about it today. The Walter Reed blocks was primarly from the C.O. and the X.O. of the hospital thats it. I know this blows the floor out from under any conspiricy thoughts one may have, but the truth does have that effect.

19. Magnetic Poles

The most censored group in America? Puhleeeez! With Christian TV & Radio all over the dial, churches on every corner, your First Amendment rights to talk to people about Christianity, and more, you are NOT censored. Too many Christians have a persecution complex, apparently you included.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being available in some areas is not proof that we are not being pushed out of other areas. Of course those with a secular dual life mndset have no probolem with this.